questions about avatars

hey guys.

I was just trying to implement the avatars plugin, and use blog avatars and user avatars in the appropriate places, when it struck me that I don't really need those.
To be honest, right now I am contemplating using the general gravatars instead. what are you using? is anyone just content with the gravatar service or is everyone using this plugin?

I'd love to hear some thoughts to help me make up my mind...

###edit###
two additions:

1. I don't fully udnerstand these functions: get_blog_avatar(1,'32','identicon'); does this i.e. fetch identicon and thats it? I can chose between: 'mystery', 'gravatar_default', 'identicon', 'wavatar', 'monsterid' so which one is the blog avatar my user uploaded? or is it trying the blog avatar first, then one of these? Meaning: is there a fallback in case there is no blog avatar?
2. regarding the theme pack, I rememebr reading somewhere, the avatars plugin is fully itnegrated, does that mean if I don't use the avatars plugin, gravatars will show or rather nothing?

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

1. I don't fully udnerstand these functions: get_blog_avatar(1,'32','identicon'); does this i.e. fetch identicon and thats it? I can chose between: 'mystery', 'gravatar_default', 'identicon', 'wavatar', 'monsterid' so which one is the blog avatar my user uploaded? or is it trying the blog avatar first, then one of these? Meaning: is there a fallback in case there is no blog avatar?

You're just selecting a default in case a user uploaded avatar doesn't exist.

2. regarding the theme pack, I rememebr reading somewhere, the avatars plugin is fully itnegrated, does that mean if I don't use the avatars plugin, gravatars will show or rather nothing?

If you're not using our avatars plugin then nothing should be displayed. If you want to use a different avatars solution then you can just perform a simple find/replace on the themes replacing our function with another.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

isn't your function for the user avatar identical to the wordpress one?

Correct.

so where you enabled that one, the gravatar solution should also work!?

Correct again. However, I should note that this function isn't one of the ones added to each theme in our theme pack.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

No worries.

Looking through the code though, it may work out on it's own if you upload "avatar-comments.php" and "avatar-posts.php" from our avatars package. Those two files contain the function we have added to the theme packs. Those functions use get_avatar(). So if you upload just those two files then it should work with the default get_avatar() and *should* toss out gravatars or work with any other avatar plugin that uses get_avatar().

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

I played around and am now getting this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_id_name() in /var/www/web5/web/wp-content/themes/edu-clean/rss-network.php on line 44

is that one of your plugins functions? I could not get rid of it even after re-uploading the avatar plugin files again :slight_frown:

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@Andrew: seems the suggested solution doesn't work:

after deleting the files you specified, I get: Fatal error: Call to undefined function avatar_email_exists() in /var/www/web5/web/wp-content/mu-plugins/avatar-comments.php on line 34

in a lot of templates...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.