Questions about Branding a Multisite install

Hi,

I've installed Ultimate Branding and it's really great. Thank U guys for the plugin. I have a couple of questions (related to other plugins):

1- I've hidden all the widgets and installed the custom dashboard widget. But it only fills half the dashboard area (see screenshot https://img.skitch.com/20120615-8ud7hakqye4hknity8bhwmm223.jpg). Is it possible to create another custom widget to fill in the right? Or is it possible to force the widget to fill the 100% of the dashboard?.

2.- Related to the previous, I wanted to install the "Dashboard feeds" plugin to fill the right half of the dashboard with my own feeds. But I've read that the feeds will only be visible in the sub-sites I create after installing the plugin. What happens with the huge amount of sites existing?

Thanks and good work.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you for this great question.

Is it possible to create another custom widget to fill in the right? Or is it possible to force the widget to fill the 100% of the dashboard?.

After some testing it would be cool to have a Custom Dashboard Widget 2 but this will require some custom coding though it would also make a good plugin suggestion.

As far as making it 100% of the dashboard I could not see a way it is being limited now though I believe it is being done by the core of WordPress.

Being that I certainly do not know everything I am going to see if I can get the lead developer with his invaluable insight in here to offer his advice/advise on how this may be accomplished if at all possible.

2.- Related to the previous, I wanted to install the "Dashboard feeds" plugin to fill the right half of the dashboard with my own feeds. But I've read that the feeds will only be visible in the sub-sites I create after installing the plugin. What happens with the huge amount of sites existing?

The documents for this plugin clearly states Any previously created blogs will continue to display the original feeds. I am sorry but there is nothing more that I can add to this statement.

Concerning your first question, though it may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get the lead developer in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Emanaku
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Regarding 1:
    The layout of the dashboard depends on the user's choice of number of columns in the Screen Options (upper right of dashboard window).

So, if the user chooses "1 column" - then the widget fills the width. If the user chooses 3 columns the space at the right is even bigger ... :wink:

I do not know an answer to your question 2. ...

• daniel.martin.alonso

Regarding the first question, I've found some code to do the trick. This code has to be added in the theme's function.php file:

function so_screen_layout_columns( $columns ) {
        $columns['dashboard'] = 1;
        return $columns;
    }
    add_filter( 'screen_layout_columns', 'so_screen_layout_columns' );

function so_screen_layout_dashboard() {
        return 1;
    }
    add_filter( 'get_user_option_screen_layout_dashboard', 'so_screen_layout_dashboard' );

I've tested in multisite and it works great

• daniel.martin.alonso

@aecnu Regarding the second question, isn't there anything I can do in the install so it's like creating a new site?

For sure it has to be something stored in the database. Can you ask the developer what can I do to make it work for existing websites (although it involves tweaking the database)?

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

There really is nothing more for me to add at this time, I have indeed notified the lead developer of this ticket for this ticket in my first post.

Can you ask the developer what can I do to make it work for existing websites (although it involves tweaking the database)?

Absolutely and basically you just did :slight_smile:

Hopefully he will make it in here soon with some advice/advise to these two questions, your first question in the original post and this last question above. I have also just now sent a second notice to the lead devloper reminding him of this tickets existence.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

Just touching base with you to let you know that we have not forgotten about you nor your issue.

By the way, you can give it the appearance of filling the dashboard by simply setting the dashboard to single column.

Please advise if that does the job for you.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ok first - not quite sure what these questions have to do with the Ultimate branding plugin :slight_smile:
    The first question is for the custom dashboard widget plugin and the second is for the Dashboard feeds plugin.

If I've misread then do let me know, but as usual when I come to these late, I'm not sure of the current status :slight_smile:

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I've hidden all the widgets and installed the custom dashboard widget. But it only fills half the dashboard area (see screenshot https://img.skitch.com/20120615-8ud7hakqye4hknity8bhwmm223.jpg). Is it possible to create another custom widget to fill in the right? Or is it possible to force the widget to fill the 100% of the dashboard?.

Yes, you need to change the code so that it adds it to a different area of the dashboard - know it's possible, but can't remember the exact settings of the top of my head - will have to do a hunt through the WP code.

Related to the previous, I wanted to install the "Dashboard feeds" plugin to fill the right half of the dashboard with my own feeds. But I've read that the feeds will only be visible in the sub-sites I create after installing the plugin. What happens with the huge amount of sites existing?

You have to "hack" the option that dashboard uses to work out the visible widgets. Again, not sure of the option off the top of my head so will have to hunt through the WP code.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Just touching base with you Chief to find out if when they are components of Ultimate Branding if we should be addressing the core add-on program instead?

@aecnu - please read my responses Joe. They aren't part of ultimate branding, they are two different plugins.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings @Barry,

Thank you for pointing that out and I do not know how I was missing it even in the members original post I missed this fact - I must have been sleeping then or losing it with the 50+ tickets a day ... lol ... sorry for the hassle and miss que.

Thanks again Barry!

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings daniel.martin.alonso,

Thank you for pointing out that we have not addressed the 2nd question.

They are not changed retroactively, so they remain as they are as stated in the documentation. It only adds this feature to those blogs created afterwards:

Any previously created blogs will continue to display the original feeds.

Reference:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/dashboard-feeds/#usage

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The visible, hidden and closed widgets are stored in the usermeta - so that will be a pain to change if you want to force them to be visible The usermeta key for that is : metaboxhidden_dashboard.

You could override the get_user_meta function using a filter, but that would then force the widgets to be visible all the time (effectively disable the ability for the user to hide them unless you do a chunk of extra "get around" coding).

• daniel.martin.alonso

Hi Barry,

Looking in the database, most of the users has "a:0:{}" in the metaboxhidden_dashboard meta_key field. I could update them via a simple SQL query (it's not a problem for us to force them to have the dashboard we want).

What should it have to show the custom feed?

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.