Questions about Events+ not answered in Usage docs...

A few questions:

I would like to have a(n Events) page with a calendar on it so all events can be seen on this page.

https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/training-calendar/

1. Currently it is only showing one month (but as the month is not listed it isn't clear which month is showing.
2. There are no arrow buttons for the next or previous months.
3. There is no way to indicate how many weeks/months to show.

I would like to have the list of events on this page:
https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/events/
4. there appears to only be one format - a long list - is there a way to condense this so there is eg a shaded line with the month and then just a line with date/ title/ cost for each course - basically an overview so someone can scroll down and see all courses in a list.
5. The icons are missing eg calendar, cost etc. Can this be fixed? It appears from the Usage tab that these are missing there too (this is a bug).

Is there a way that I can allow others to list (and pay for it) from the front end?

Thank you.

• Karen

I am trying to add shortcodes to this page to get the events showing on it:

I am guessing what to do but so far I have added:

[eab_calendar category="some_text" navigation="yes" footer="yes" with_thumbnail="yes" short_title_format="Y-m-d" lookahead="yes" weeks="326" network="yes"]

Issues arising

1. The Events are NOT showing - I am just getting an empty calendar.

How do I get the names of the events to show as per the Usage docs??? (I have a separate page that lists the events. I need both the calendar AND a list of events so people can book both avenues.)

I am missing the name of the event in the right date (and I want to ensure if they click on it, they go to the individual event and can book and pay for it.

2. There are no instructions on how to use shortcodes for Events+ (not all of us are IT coders - please include something that makes it understandable so we can actually USE your plugins. Thanks. Searching didn't help.

3. By adding the footer, when you open the training calendar page it starts at January (itis 29/1) but when you click the one arrow (and could they be made a bit larger in the BP Fun theme - they are TOO HARD TO READ)...but it skips February and goes straight to March. BUT when you click to go back one month when in March it goes back one to February. This is a BUG - can it be fixed please.)
    Thank you.

• DavidM

Hi @Karen,

Thanks for all those details! :slight_smile:

I'll see about sending another ping to the developer on that bug, thanks for mentioning it.

Meanwhile, I'll be happy to look into these other items for you but I was wondering, would it be easier for you to grant access so I could assist on-site?

I ask because there are a number of items under consideration here, each of which might take a good moment to sort through. But with site access, I could simply make the needed adjustments, specific to your situation, and then let you know what was done, for reference.

Would that work for you?

Just wanted to make this as quick and simply for you as possible is all. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    David

• Karen

David

I have already provided access but I will do so again in case it has run out.

By the way, I am testing another events plug-in - so I am going to deactivate Events+ today and see how the other one works.

If it is better I will use it as I am so past my deadline for launch it is not funny.

If you can deactivate the non-Events+ one, activate Events+ and set it up - I'd be happy with that. Then I can compare them. I am trying to use your plug-ins but they are very "buggy". Many people just give up and go away. I'm a tad persistent. :slight_smile:

Please record what you do so you can educate me in how to amend the site. Thanks.

• DavidM

Hi Karen,

Thanks for making that available. Sorry for the delay, it took me a moment to see what all would be needed here. A few things I'd like to note below.

Your original calendar had the category parameter set to "some_text". That will display only events where the category is "some_text". Thus why it wasn't showing events.

I've adjusted that like so:
    [eab_calendar navigation="yes" footer="yes" with_thumbnail="yes" short_title_format="Y-m-d" lookahead="yes" weeks="326" network="yes"]

I believe we could possibly use some different colors for the text within the calendar though, since you've got something setting the colors to a scheme that doesn't sit well with the Events+ background colors.

The following should sort that:

#container div.content table.eab-monthly_calendar a.wpmudevevents-calendar-event {
    color: #fff !important;
    }

You can add that using something like this free plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/imporved-simpler-css/

If you like, I can set that part up for you as well.

Before proceeding further, could I just confirm that's all working well for you?

Thanks,
    David

• Karen

DavidM

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes the events are now turning up - but yes, they look dreadful (ie visually out of kilter with the theme as you mentioned).

I tried to use different colours for the different topics we have on offer, so I can amend those (I think). If we could make the text white that would help.

If you could do that (and perhaps let me know how you do it. I think there is a child theme set up - I tried to do it following instructions but someone had to go in and fix it and I am not sure where to go to put it. There is a CSS editor in the WP dashboard where I put the code for the top navigation buttons, but that is not the child theme and I think it gets overwritten if I update the theme.

If you could provide some simple instructions (so I know where to go to get the child theme) it would be appreciated.

Your original calendar had the category parameter set to "some_text". That will display only events where the category is "some_text". Thus why it wasn't showing events.

I was trying to make sense of the shortcodes and when you hover over them that one (if I recall correctly) gave you a choice of "212" or some_text" with no explanation of what the heck they are (Hint: Usage page needs more info about these. I couldn't tell who to use them until I accidentally hovered over the dotted underlined text and options came up. (Hint: more help for newbies and non-IT people would make the software much easier to use.)

• Karen

David M

I just removed the code and added some text to the top of the page.

Now the calendar has moved to the right and half of Sunday is chopped off.

Can this be fixed?
    Thanks.

If there a way I can just have Monday to Friday showing and say two shaded (thin) columns for Sat and Sun as we don't train those days? It might be asking too much but perhaps the calendar could have the option of including particular days (like Sat or Sun) or excluding them...so you end up with more room.

• DavidM

Hi @Karen,

No worries about the CSS being overwritten if it's added using a plugin. That'll be just fine even with theme updates. You can add the CSS I'll provide below to that CSS plugin's settings.

Thanks too for your feedback on the shortcodes. I do see what you mean. I'll make a note of that as we're working on updating the docs.

As for the links within the calendar, this should cover that:

#container div.content table.eab-monthly_calendar a.wpmudevevents-calendar-event {
    color: #fff !important;
    }
    #container div.content table.eab-monthly_calendar a.wpmudevevents-calendar-event.social-media-essentials {
    color: #6593CF !important;
    }

The Saturday and Sunday table shading is unfortunately a bit tricky. The following works most of the way:

table.eab-monthly_calendar.eab-shortcode_calendar tbody tr td:nth-last-child(1),
    table.eab-monthly_calendar.eab-shortcode_calendar tbody tr td:nth-last-child(2) {
    background-color: #ccc !important;
    }

What that does is used the CSS nth-last-child selector to style only the 1st and 2nd columns from the last in the table. Unfortunately, that doesn't cover the last row, where the columns can span a series. There's not really an easy workaround to this apart from altering the plugin itself, which isn't recommended.

Perhaps that might still work for you though?

Cheers,
    David

• Karen

David

I have added that code to the Custom CSS - the first one, not the second lot.

It is still running off the page if I have a theme default (with the Right hand sidebar).

FYI.

PS I just tried the second code and it is shading weekends as well as the last day in each month.

See the results at:

Still an issue:
    • shading is better (Odd bit in Feb is 28th also shaded like a Sat or Sun - SAME for March - it is catching the last day of the month.
    • Calendar still too wide for alloted space if using sidebar.

See document with pdf screenshots at:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wpmu-issues-page/

• DavidM

Hi @Karen,

Hope you don't mind, I've been sort of awaiting further word on some of your other threads just to be sure I wasn't interfering with other issues currently being tackled.

Could I just ask though, what specific items could I address for you with the rest of this thread, that aren't currently being dealt with in any of your other threads?

Just wanna be sure I can help with specifics without conflicting with other threads. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to helping with this.

Thanks
    David

• Karen

David

Understand. I get confused myself as there is so much I have that needs fixing.

I have tried just listing a query as a new thread and that seems to be getting rid of some of the tangents quickly.

Icons - this is being dealt with in another thread (as they are missing if you don't have a location eg webinar or the event is free and that mucks up the alignment of info making the layout inconsistent with other events).

Of my original questions, this has not been dealt with:

I would like to have the list of events on this page:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/events/
    4. there appears to only be one format - a long list - is there a way to condense this so there is eg a shaded line with the month and then just a line with date/ title/ cost for each course - basically an overview so someone can scroll down and see all courses in a list.

On that events page, there is a list. What I am looking for is literally one shaded line that says February for example.
    Under that is the one line per event list of events where you see:
    Date / Course Code/ Course Title / Cost / Location all in the one line.

At present that page has a long list - yes - but you have to scroll down all of them to see them. The only way to get an overview is to see the calendar.

See https://www.thecakeschool.com.au/classes for the type of thing.
    So people can see just a line and can click to the full detail of the event from there.

The current layout takes up a lot of space (a lot less than the first layout I ended up with) but still a lot.

Basically people want an OVERVIEW of what is coming up - so they get an idea of what is on. At present it's like someone shoves a book in your face and all you can see is the pages in front of your nose. Your natural reaction is to push the book away, and open at the contents to see what is in it THEN dig in to the course detail to see if you like what it is about.

That is why I wanted the calendar - for an OVERVIEW - but some people like to see a list, not a very long list of courses.

It's about optimal presentation. If you make accessing the information too difficult (ie too detailed at the start) they won't bother to read it and will go elsewhere.

It makes me wonder if the plug-ins are tested with real people/businesses who will actually USE them. There are many basic design mistakes with it that it screams "IT" not user-centrric or user-friendly design. FYI.

Thanks.

• DavidM

Hi Karen,

What you're asking would involve creation of a custom event archive template, which is certainly possible, but it would require customization more than we're able to assist with directly here.

I can get you resources for it, if you like, details as to how it could be done, but otherwise the most we could feasibly provide through support would be CSS customizations, which we're happy to provide.

For example, to greatly simplify that list, you could use something like this:

body.post-type-archive-incsub_event div.wpmudevevents-list {
    background-color: #f5f5f5;
    }

body.post-type-archive-incsub_event a.wpmudevevents-viewevent,
    body.post-type-archive-incsub_event div.wpmudevevents-buttons {
    display: none;
    }

Does that sound viable to you?

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.