Questions about functionality and more

Hi, I'm currently trying to decide on one ecommerce plugin to use for all my clients. I'm debating between Marketpress, WP e-Commerce, and WooCommerce. I have to admit that I really like that Piggy Pro, supports both WPEC and WooCommerce, so Marketpress is a little behind in the running (for my business). But I have some questions about it I couldn't figure out from looking at the documentation to make sure I'm seeing the advantages and disadvantages clearly:

1. Does it protect digital products in any way? This is fairly easy with WPEC, you can upload the file right from the new-item interface, and/or select a file you previously uploaded to the protected "downloadables" folder on your server.

2. Does it allow you to import product information from other sources than WPEC? I have a client who's on a custom built solution (.net based) but we can export to csv just fine. I'm curious if there's an easy way to import all this data? Both WPEC and WooCommerce have their own variation of the Product Importer Deluxe plugin, which makes this fairly easy.

3. What advantages do you feel it has over WooCommerce?

• aecnu

Greetings Tevya Washburn,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

1. Does it protect digital products in any way? This is fairly easy with WPEC, you can upload the file right from the new-item interface, and/or select a file you previously uploaded to the protected "downloadables" folder on your server.

This is a great question. Market press does not protect them in the traditional sense of htaccess but it does offer link cloaking and the uploads go into a folder something like blogs.dir/3/2012/5/filename

Without knowing the exact URL and file name they would get an 404 error. For those wanting further htaccess security it could be easily arranged by password protecting the folder blogs.dir/3/htaccess file.
    Then embed the user name and password (which is cloaked to the buyer) into the URL.

2. Does it allow you to import product information from other sources than WPEC? I have a client who's on a custom built solution (.net based) but we can export to csv just fine. I'm curious if there's an easy way to import all this data? Both WPEC and WooCommerce have their own variation of the Product Importer Deluxe plugin, which makes this fairly easy.

In the most recent version of Market Press their is a facility to import products using csv files.

3. What advantages do you feel it has over WooCommerce?

This I have no answer due to i have never used Woocommerce.

If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Could you expound on your answer to #2? Is it an easy process? Does it let you select which columns go to which data in Marketpress? Or do you have to get your columns all arranged properly in advance?

I cannot offer you that information due to the fact the newest version just came out in the last 24 hours and I have not been able to install it yet because I have been working support tickets. I will get back with you soon on this and let you know.

I am marking this ticket as unresolved so that it isn't missed in the near future.

• aecnu

Could you expound on your answer to #2? Is it an easy process? Does it let you select which columns go to which data in Marketpress? Or do you have to get your columns all arranged properly in advance?

Great question and here is what I got from the CSV import section itself:

This will allow you to import products and most of their attributes from a CSV file.

Your CSV file must be comma (,) delimited and fields with commas or quotes in them must be surrounded by parenthesis (") as per the CSV standard. Columns in the CSV file can be in any order, provided that they have the correct headings from the example file. "title" and "price" are the only required columns, all others can be left blank. A spreadsheet program like Excel or Numbers can be used to easily manipulate your import file, and their save as CSV option will create a correctly formatted file.

Then it offers a sample csv file:

title,description,sku,price,sale_price,tags,categories,stock,external_link,download_url,sales_count,extra_shipping,weight
    Product 1,Sample product description,32432432,112.04,69.99,"Tag 1, Tag 2","Cool Stuff, Red Stuff",,,,1,,
    Product 2,Sample product description,321321321,0.12,,Tag 2,"Cool Stuff, Red Stuff",2,,,,3,
    Product 3,Sample product description,23232,3.21,2.983,Another,Red Stuff,,,http://test.com/myfile.pdf,,,3
    Product 4,Sample product description,,1123.34,,test,"Cool Stuff, Red Stuff",4,,,,2.19,
    Product 5,Sample product description,657657657,15,,,Red Stuff,5,http://mytestsite.com,,3,,1.3

Therefore due to the first statement it appears that one needs only to have the title and price.
    The only thing i do not see here that concerns me is the image link.

Please let us know if this does not resolve your problem by reopening this ticket below marking it as not resolved (or else we'll miss it!). In addition, please post any new symptoms or errors if applicable.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.