Questions about implementing Membership 2

Hi there

I plan to implement Membership2 wholesale, ie with all the related modules, for Events, Affiliates, etc. So first asking for any general help & guidance on stepping through what might be a complex set up process.

Also first a specific question: I am thinking about implementing 'Membership Types':

https://www.buddyboss.com/product/buddypress-member-types/

I like the idea of being able to bundle WP Roles into Types like 'Tutors' etc., as I plan to utilize Coursepress Pro for creating & selling elearning courses. Given this goal I was wondering what you thought of this extra step re: Member Types? Is it even necessary? Is it a good idea? Does it mean more integration work?

Many thanks in advance for all guidance.

Cheers, Neil.

• Ash

Hello Neil McEvoy

I am not familiar with the Member Types plugin I am afraid. That plugin is for defining types for members. Though, there is no integration of member types plugin with coursepress plugin. When you use coursepress, there is already role for instructors. So if that is the intention, then no need to use Member Types plugin. But if you have some other plan, then it's okay :slight_smile:

In addition, if you are looking for any membership plugin, you can take a look at this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Neil McEvoy

Hi Ash

Yes, I am implementing Membership2 Pro, that's what this thread is about, to help me set it up. I decided against additional plugins for the moment like Member Types, so it is a standalone, 'vanilla' set up.

I've run into some basic install problems, so I will continue this thread with those here ok?

I've installed M2 to DigitalScot.net, set up a number of membership levels notably 'Keynote Author', with the main action being to activate WP 'Author' role, so they can post blogs etc.

The signup forms are all set up ok etc., but when I manually assign the Keynote Author role to my own test account (neilmcevoy) it doesn't activate the WP Author role.

What should I do next?

Thanks, Neil.

• Neil McEvoy

Also one key feature question I have is how can I use Membership2 to implement related Approval workflows, for example scenarios:
    1) Initial site registrants must complete a basic profile (upload picture etc.) and then apply for basic site membership to get Bbpress level role, for participating in forums.
    2) How do you 'apply' to become a site Blogger, and be awarded that membership/role via some easy approval process?
    cheers!
    Neil.

• Ash

Hello Neil McEvoy

Did you enable Members Capability addon? Please go to Dashboard > Membership 2 > Addons > And enable members capability addon.

I've run into some basic install problems, so I will continue this thread with those here ok?

It's quite fine. Though the thread is mainly to deal with complex issues. For faster support, you can reach our live support team here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/ :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Neil McEvoy

Actually it's very helpful to do it here, I am going to hire some dev's to implement what we discuss, saves much time! :slight_smile:

Yes I did implement Member Capabilities, and believe I configured it correctly such that Keynote Author membership would provision Author role. Then I checked Keynote Author had been correctly assigned to my account, which it had, .. but no Author role.

I could assign it manually no problem through the dashboard > users admin option, so the core system is working fine.

• Ash

Hello Neil McEvoy

I see what you mean. I think there is a confusion, really sorry for that.

Within M2, when it says about role, it means the capabilities of that role will be applied to those members, but the original roles won't be changed.

If you want to assign a role on membership sign up, you can try this code: https://gist.github.com/bappi-d-great/794bd6a18eecb59f8f27

And then, if you want to assign subscriber role when the membership is expired, please try this code: https://gist.github.com/bappi-d-great/cf1c337e5b7cdba77eb3

You may need to edit membership IDs, role etc.

You can use this code in your child theme's functions.php if the theme is not changed. Otherwise mu-plugin is the best option. To create a mu-plugin, go to wp-content/mu-plugins folder. If there is no mu-plugins folder then, create one. Now, inside the mu-plugins folder create file with name anything.php (make sure file extension is .php). Now start with a <?php tag and then put the above code.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Ash

Hello Neil McEvoy

Let me explain again, I am sorry again that it created more confusion.

For example, you have a membership, called Gold.
    You have a member, called "X", when he joins in your site, by default it gets subscriber role.
    You have a role, called A which has capabilities P, Q and R.

Now, in member capabilities addon, there are two options - capablities and roles.

Capabilities: You can map individual capabilities P and/or Q and/or R to Gold membership, so when X joins, he will have those capabilities even though his role is subscriber.

Roles: You can map a role A to Gold membership, so when X joins, he will have all capabilities of A role (P, Q and R) even though still his role is subscriber.

So, it actually doesn't change the role, instead, it adds those capabilities of that role to the subscriber.

The reason behind this is, if a member has editor role and if you want to map such role with the membership which doesn't have edit_post capability, it will have a conflict. That's why, instead of assigning a new role, the system adds the capabilities keeping the user's original capabilities intact :slight_smile:

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Neil McEvoy

Hi Ash

Ok I think I understand it, and here's my problem. There are other functions that look explicitly for the WP Role to be assigned, not just the Capabilities. Simple example, if I want to change the Author of a blog, if they don't have the WP role Author, they don't appear, even though they have had the M2 capabilities assigned.

So what I need is a system that explicitly assigns the WP role, as a result of some form of Membership subscription act.

I'm wondering if this brings me back to my original question, the use of other plugins such as 'Member Types'. (https://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-member-types-pro/)

This is the core purpose, to define Types, ie Memberships, like 'Student', and then assign them one or many WP Roles once that is assigned. I believe it synchronizes with other membership systems like S2 for this purpose.

• Ash

Hello Neil McEvoy

I am afraid, I am not familiar with Member types plugin but I can confirm that there is no direct integration with Member type plugin and Membership2 plugin.

If you need to assign a role, then you can do so using a little custom code as I have mentioned in one of previous posts:

If you want to assign a role on membership sign up, you can try this code: https://gist.github.com/bappi-d-great/794bd6a18eecb59f8f27

And then, if you want to assign subscriber role when the membership is expired, please try this code: https://gist.github.com/bappi-d-great/cf1c337e5b7cdba77eb3

You just need to configure using membership IDs and add that code as mu-plugins. If you need help to apply that code, we can help :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Neil McEvoy

Hi Ash

Ok to catch up - In short I think you're saying if I add those code snippets, I'll have the key WP Role activations that I need.. if so yes please what is involved?

Also I thought it would be helpful to describe the key membership level activities I'd like to achieve, perhaps you can help me understand how to achieve these with Membership2 (+ the snippets):

1) A widget with an easy 'Subscribe for our newsletter' quick base membership sign up, this goes to the initial system/subscriber member only, main benefit being email newsletter, new article alerts etc.

2) Become a Forum Contributor - So you decide to become more involved and participate in the bbpress forums.. ideally this would be a simple/automated Apply to Join process where the key requirement is eg the member has uploaded a picture/completed a key profile field, etc. If they have they're granted the various bbpress / Participant role capabilities etc.

3) A 'Keynote Author' invite / upgrade. All blogging related capabilities assigned to WP Author role, which is then assigned through an email invite to a new site member, or some form of upgrade method for existing users - Awarding a regular Forum Contibutor for example.

Much obliged for any guidance towards these goals! :slight_smile:
    thanks, Neil.

• Neil McEvoy

Hi Ash

Sorry, it can be quite a complex process to think through so I get myself tied in knots a bit.

But yes exactly, we're on the same path. So what you describe is the basic membership structure I want, then facilitated through a few key interactions:

1) For M1 registration: A quick/easy widget, ideally with Social Login capability. Ie the first capture point for first time site visitors.

2) Approval workflows: Once you've subscribed for a while you want to participate in the Forums, and all that requires is that you eg complete basic member profile sections, a picture etc., so that you can be more validated before bbPress activities.

3) Similarly once you have contributed regularly to the forums we might decide what warrants another special 'Keynote' status, ie you can then post Blogs. We extend this as an Invitation somehow and they auto-upgrade on activation - We can also send this as an invite to new users we want as prominent authors, etc.

• Ash

Hello Neil McEvoy

As far as I understand, for #1, they just regular users, so for a general membership M1. You can protect the forum part with M2 membership enabling BBPress protection addon. When you assign M2 membership to a member, only then he has access to forum part. Here, just one thing, the profile needs to be filled when he registers. There is no option to have different profile fields/sections for different membership.

For #3, you can have another membership, e.g. M3, and configure in such way that the users of M3 will get Author role. Having an author role will allow them to create blog posts.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.