Questions about in-person sales, inventory management and barcodes

I'm working with a yacht club were we have a small store that sells jackets, shirts, vests, hats, etc. with the club logo. The only inventory/sales management today is a notebook (actual paper and pencil).

There are only about 30-40 different items on hand, but members can also order custom embroidery with their name, boat name, a team name, or whatever.

Most members are local, and we don't really sell to the general public, so we don't expect to sell much online, but we do want to offer that. Most sales will happen face-to-face. About half the sales are by credit card, the rest are charges to the member's account.

Our primary goal is managing inventory, and getting more accurate, up-to-date sales reporting.

So the questions:

1) First of all, does it sound like Marketpress is the right plugin for us?

2) Will Marketpress generate barcodes and/or price tags?

3) Can our members charge sales to their membership account and pay by invoice at the end of the month? Will Marketpress generate the invoice/statement for orders paid "on account"?

4) Does Marketpress handle the custom orders, such as those requiring embroidery where we never have the product on-hand in advance? I expect we would set up a computer in the club where members can browse the available options and place orders to be shipped directly to their home.

5) How do in-person sales work? Does Marketpress integrate into any kind of Point of Sale system?

6) Does Marketpress export/integrate with QuickBooks?

This is a new job for me and I'm very excited to try your Marketpress and Membership plugins. Both look like they could work well for us.

Feel free to point me at FAQs if this has all been covered already. Thanks for your help.

• Kimberly

Robert,

Welcome to WPMU and thanks for being a member!

Marketpress is built to be an eCommerce shopping platform. Basically, an Online Store. You can use it to sell the items in your store online.

Yes Marketpress has an inventory system and it can handle special instructions for certain items (customization, etc.). I suppose it could function as a Point of Sale, or POS, system in some respects if you were diligent to update your products and use it to complete transactions through the authorize.net gateway. However it does not support barcodes or Quickbooks.

Basically what you are looking for is a Point of Sale system (POS), and unfortunately that is not what Marketpress is. I can ping the developer to get some more feedback on it's capabilities.

Hope this helps you :slight_smile:

Kimberly

• Robert

Thanks Kimberly, Aaron,

This is great. I wasn't expecting to get everything I need in one plugin, but this is actually better than I expected.

One more thing I just thought of. Is it possible to use Marketpress as a catalog with no "Buy Now" buttons? In other words, only allowing people to browse the catalog? That would be a nice easy first step for us.

The only open question is whether all orders have to be paid by online credit card, or if there is an offline payment option, to bill the member's account, or somehow send an invoice/statement.

Kimberly, if you can ask the developer about printing price tags that would be great. Barcodes or QR Codes would be nice to stick on the shelf, but that would also require a scanner which would probably be more trouble than printing codes. The problem I'm trying to solve with that is that the people actually working in the store picking up a product don't know what it is, and what to charge for it so they over/undercharge the customers. If Marketpress could generate some kind of price tag containing the SKU/product ID, name and price, that was consistent with the online store, that would be a huge help.

A csv export is probably all we need for weekly/monthly sales.

• Aaron

One more thing I just thought of. Is it possible to use Marketpress as a catalog with no "Buy Now" buttons? In other words, only allowing people to browse the catalog? That would be a nice easy first step for us.

Yes, it's called listings mode in settings. You can also link to external products.

The only open question is whether all orders have to be paid by online credit card, or if there is an offline payment option, to bill the member's account, or somehow send an invoice/statement.

Yes, the gateway is called "Manual Payments".

• Kimberly

There is a field for an item SKU and I believe you can import as well as export products in csv format.

And this will pretty much cover your cc issue :slight_smile:
    Add Stripe payment gateway! Accept credit cards directly on your site with full PCI compliance
    Add custom API url support to Authorize.net gateway for compatibility with many 3rd party gateways

So you should be good to go!

Please keep us updated, I'm sure everyone here would love to know how this goes as a POS system

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.