Questions about Marketpress, Global Cart and Theme

I’ve been slowly trudging along trying to figure all this out without asking for help, but after a month of being way out of my comfort zone I’m finally giving in!

I’m no coder, very beginner and praise the likes of wordpress.org and wpmudev forums for my progress. You guys are all geniuses!

Here’s what I’m doing:

Creating a website that has a Store page. This store page will show products from various other sites within my network. I’m trying to decide how to set up the store. Ideal would be to have global cart with chained payments where I take a percentage, but I’ve discovered that this is not possible (with the exception of a 5 store cap, but I still have yet to run across anything that explains how to set that up), so I’m thinking a global cart and I’ll have to charge a monthly fee or bill a monthly percentage until this feature is added.

What I would like to know:

1. I’ve got Global Cart turned on but the products on my page only show the option for Buy Now. I’m sure I’m missing something, but can’t figure out what. I would like to have one checkout on the main site until we can get chained pay w/global cart feature. All of my info is filled in and Express Payments is selected. I am wondering if I am missing something via paypal (I’ve got a app temporarily approved through the x.com papal developer network, could this be the issue?) Or is it that I’m not using the theme provided by wpmu? I’m using twentyeleven.

2. How are you able to use chained payments without a global cart? Would I have to enter a paypal address with each product? I’m thinking multiple contributors could do this themselves through one store.

3. My interest is piqued by reading that you guys are letting people create their own stores to create your etsy style shops, how can you do this? I’d LOVE this kind of autonomy where I only have to worry about the main site and collecting fees!…I’d love to see your stores too and hear more about how you have it set up. I’m not very educated on how multisite, marketpress, wordpress etc really works together so I’m betting there is a more effective setup than what I’m envisioning.

Sorry if any of this is simpleton, I’m just an overthinker and always feel like I am missing something and I know NOONE that remotely knows anything about this. My husband’s eyes glaze over when I start to explain or talk about what I’m trying to do :slight_smile: I just need some feedback to validate or reform my thoughts and to see how much I really am learning/understanding by my hunt and peck approach to setting this up!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya klipari,

First off, welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

This store page will show products from various other sites within my network. I’m trying to decide how to set up the store. Ideal would be to have global cart with chained payments where I take a percentage, but I’ve discovered that this is not possible (with the exception of a 5 store cap, but I still have yet to run across anything that explains how to set that up), so I’m thinking a global cart and I’ll have to charge a monthly fee or bill a monthly percentage until this feature is added.

Ok, so the deal with the 5-store cap is a limitation of PayPal. Because of this the plugin allows for you to setup either a global cart or a chained-gateway payment system. You cannot do both.

However, the new Pro Sites plugin works well with MarketPress (and all of our plugins for that matter) in allowing you to create a subscription-model. This way you can get a monthly, quarterly, annual payment from the sites and still provide the ‘global checkout’ option.

Pro Site subscriptions are all managed through the plugin so it is still a very ‘automated’ process. You can also create several levels such as a free trial, and other levels with additional features.

Our GridMarket Theme was designed to really take advantage of all the things MarketPress can do on a network install, but you can definitely use any theme ya like. You’ll then need to use shortcodes to display global products such as:

[mp_list_global_products]

This can be further defined by filters or arguments which you can see under Network Admin>Settings>MarketPress.

I’ve got Global Cart turned on but the products on my page only show the option for Buy Now

Make sure you have the Product List Settings and Single Product Settings both marked as ‘Add to Cart’ in your Store Settings>Presentation tab. This you’ll want to be the same on each site.

How are you able to use chained payments without a global cart? Would I have to enter a paypal address with each product? I’m thinking multiple contributors could do this themselves through one store.

Without the global cart option selected in MarketPress network settings you have a new gateway you can select for chained payments. You fill that out and then individual sites enter their paypal addresses for their own stores. You can’t have several contributors in one store (and have them be paid individaully) – there can only be one paypal address per store/site so they do need their own sub sites.

Hopefully this helps a bit in knowing what can/can’t be done at this point. Let us know if you need anything further.

Thanks!

• klipari
    • New Recruit

Mason, Thanks for the reply! Just about everything you said falls in line with what I’ve gathered so far, so I’m feeling much better about my competency level after all my searching and struggles :slight_smile:

I’ve got the list of shortcodes and have everything showing up wonderfully (although I wouldn’t mind a grid format for the items as opposed to a post style list but I’ve yet to search for this option as I”m trying to get the technical stuff taken care of before the aesthetics) , I’ve also checked the Product List and Single Product settings and they are all set to Add to Cart throughout the entire network. That’s why I’m wondering why I’m still seeing Buy Now on the Main Site.

store page here</a

I love the idea of Pro Sites and will be looking into it for sure!

I am really wanting to charge a percentage of the sales for each month and am not opposed to doing this manually so that I can have a central store with a global cart, so this leads me to ask if it’s possible for me to track sales so I could charge accordingly.

Cheers!

• klipari
    • New Recruit

So I’ve discovered the reason I’m only seeing Buy Now on my main blog, it’s because Marketpress Global Cart requires you to go to the product site to Add to Cart. You can’t add to the Global Cart from a Global Product list page, it must be from the original store page in the network. I found this info in another forum thread. I’m not jazzed about this but if I have to go with it I’d love to know what kind of code or link I can use to make it easy to return to the Global Product list page so they can continue shopping.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya klipari,

We hear ya on the grid functionality. We’re actually working on that one, but want to get it so that it will work (the best we can make it) across a variety of themes – and that’s a bit tricky to do correctly. We’ll get there though so expect this at some point in the future.

As to the Buy Now button on Global product listings, you’re totally correct and I had forgotten that. I spoke with Aaron about it, and the ability to add to cart was added for individual sites, but doesn’t work globally. We’re looking into it, but it’s a difficulty when updating via ajax that we have to figure if it’s even possible.

Thanks for your feedback on both though. Helps us make a better product :slight_smile:

• klipari
    • New Recruit

Mason,

I appreciate all the feedback.

I guess I’m not in much of a position to complain about anything as I have ZILCH in the developer skills department. My current editing and coding method is click and cover my face, if nothing blows up then I know I did OK. I’d be in so much trouble if I couldn’t access my ftp to delete and edit my trials and errors.

I’m sure beginners like myself make you geniuses cringe to read things like that :slight_smile:

I can live without the grid and the chained payments on global cart, however being able to add to cart from the main global listing would be KILLER! It just isn’t very pretty besides the fact that it doesn’t update in the global cart on the main site when using an Open in New Window plugin to ensure that my customers don’t get confused with all the jumping around. That pearl is something else I found is default operation with no fixes. So I’m stuck with the decision of letting the customers be confused by the transfer to another site, or confused by their item not showing up in the cart and repeatedly clicking buy now…

Sorry for the tanget. Still a great plugin for stores, I personally would love to see a bit more multi-site specific features. From what I’m reading and finding you will have the upper-hand on all the other plugins if you create a smooth and robust operation for MSite.

Best,

Kimberly

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Thanks Kimberly. We really do listen/value your feedback. Especially as a beginner – if you are able to use it and fit it to your needs that means we’re hitting our mark :slight_smile:

We have some other updates coming out for MarketPress (hopefully this week) based on feedback from yourself and other members here. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.