Questions about Membership Pro

Hello,
I have several questions regarding a site ( http://ocr-canada.ca/ ) that uses Membership Pro, BuddyPress, and bbPress.
First, there is a bit of confusion regarding the two registration pages slug name registration.php for the BuddyPress theme. We are using BuddyPress social and Membership Pro's signup page register-2.php . My client would prefer to eliminate the step where a subscription level is chosen as there is currently only one level of membership aside from Visitors. I would also like to eliminate the possibility of logging in through the wrong form.
I was also wondering if there was an easy way to modify bbPress permissions (for example the ability to create forums) using Membership Pro.
There also seems to be an issue when a membership is added to a previous user though Membership > All Members where WP user permissions are removed.
Lastly we had a list of articles that was to be displayed on the homepage via a bp-social widget. It disappears altogether instead of just redirecting the user to the login page when the article is clicked which would be the preferred behaviour.

Many thanks in advance.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Support,

Hope you're doing well today!

My client would prefer to eliminate the step where a subscription level is chosen as there is currently only one level of

You can setup a default membership level that is assigned to everyone who signs up on your site via:

Membership > Options > General tab.

Or, you can direct link to that membership signup. For example, you will see that the membership sign up button has this link:

http://domain.ca/register-2/?action=registeruser&subscription=1

That link will take you directly to the registration form and will apply subscription ID=1 to the user :slight_smile:

I would also like to eliminate the possibility of logging in through the wrong form.

Which form do you want them to login with? Just to note, either form they login too, they will still be considered "logged in" on the entire site.

I was also wondering if there was an easy way to modify bbPress permissions (for example the ability to create forums) using Membership Pro.

That isn't possible in the Membership settings exactly; however, you could just protect the page :slight_smile: or remove the capability from them with this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

Lastly we had a list of articles that was to be displayed on the homepage via a bp-social widget. It disappears altogether instead of just redirecting the user to the login page when the article is clicked which would be the preferred behaviour.

Were you protecting this list with Membership? if so, then it should redirect them to the protected content page.

I also just want to mention that you may want to look into our Protected Content plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/ before you get in to deep with Membership. I am wondering if maybe it fits your needs better. It has bbpress integration for protected forums but you will still need to remove the new forum capability or not apply a role that can create forums.

An awesome feature of Protected Content is that it has a registration shortcode you can use to automatically apply a membership to that user once they sign up through it. This means you can place that sign up form anywhere around your site on any page instead of having 2 main register pages.

If you think Protected Content would fit your needs better than I would be more than happy to swap your membership over to that plugin :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• support

Hello Tyler,
    We looked at Protected Content but chose Membership Pro due to the Payment gateways as 2Checkout is an option that works well for Canadians. I'll discuss it with the client and let you know as it does seem otherwise more appropriate.

Also we were having a problem with all member permissions being reset when a membership was changed or added via Membership > All Members. I deactivated User Role Editor in case this was the reason for the conflict.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Support,

Hope you're doing well today!

Yes, so for the most part Protected Content has everything Membership has + more. You would lose 2checkout, but you would gain Stripe, which is a very popular gateway option :slight_smile:

It sounds like Protected Content will work better for this situation as it has a lot more shortcodes that allow for a lot of customization. As mentioned above, you can place a registration on any page that automatically assigns the level to them.

Plus, we have a lot more features coming for Protected Content too :slight_smile: the whole reason we decided to create Protected Content was because we weren't able to add a lot of the features members wanted with Membership - so Protected Content is completely re-coded. A lot of members still prefer and love Membership though, which why we will continue to update and support it as well for the foreseeable future.

Hope this helps clarify things. Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Support,

No problem at all :slight_smile: in-fact, I can do ya one better - I've just upgraded you to a full elite subscription. Meaning you have full access to all of our plugins, including Protected Content. Now you can compare both plugins if you like and also try out any other plugins we have!

Your full access will be valid until the end of your current membership which is March 5th.

Let us know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

Have a great rest of your day!

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. You also have access to our brand new themes too: https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

Give them a try if you like :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.