questions about multi-sites in regard to users

I have PatriotStarNews.us set up as the main site.
I created a fake user account (george) to test it out, and they have to confirm email and are sent a password which is dandy.

1. In the dashboard, I see there is dashboard and profile links. That's it. Am I right to assume that the user level of 'george' is subscriber? Meaning, he can read posts by others and make comments to those posts, and edit his profile, but nothing else, right?

2. Let's say that I might like 'george' so much that I'd want him to be an contributor (meaning he can write articles to post to the site). But I don't know george (or ringo or starr) personally and so I'd need for there to be a way for him to let me know he wants to be a contributing writer. Is there a plugin that allows that, and waits for me to approve it? Or, perhaps adding on a blogging plugin (not sure which one), to allow blogging, either automatically or as an upgrade to contributor or to blogger or perhaps I need to create a form for him to sign up to be upgraded and then review it manually. Ideally, there'd be some posts by him as a blogger, that I could review to see if he writes well enough to have an upgraded and recognized status?

2b. Likewise, I'm going to need an editor for the /mi-olivet/ site. Let's say I don't know anyone who I'd choose and I advertise the position, and Ringo wants the job. What is the most logical, steps for Ringo to sign up to my site as a subscriber, then apply for the editor position, and what are the corresponding plugins.

Thing is, I am trying to make this as seemless as possible for a complete stranger to come to the site, sign up at a basic level, be able to demonstrate their writing ability on the site (without creating a separate site for them), have them apply for upgraded responsibility, and be reviewed/approved.

I get confused by the terms, blog in the manual. Sometimes it seems it refers to allowing someone to post articles within a site, at other times, it seems as if the term blog means allowing the person to create their own site. I don't want people to create their own sites, their posts must be within one of the sites.

3. If george signs up for </mi-olivet> site, is he allowed to make posts to the other sites? Or to the parent site? Is there a way for the admin or editor to permit it and/or disallow it? Or perhaps an editor to have a way to pull (or push) an article from a local town to the main site?

4. Is there a way to make george's dashboard not so "wordpressy" looking and more intuitive and user friendly. And perhaps allow network adimin and/or site admin and site editor to post announcements (to what degree would that be customizable)?

• marikamitsos

Hello y3kgeek,

Let me get right to the point.
    There are different ways to do what you want, so I will give you just one of them.

1. That is correct. Now if you want George to take part to the rest of your network you could use the Multisite User Management plugin. This way George can have different roles for each site. Nice... Please have a look.
    2. For this you will probably need the uCan Post plugin. It comes really handy for situations like yours. You can always force the posts to be moderated or just published.
    2a. Here you could probably use your steps "sign up at a basic level, be able to demonstrate their writing ability on the site (without creating a separate site for them), have them apply for upgraded responsibility, and be reviewed/approved", having created a special category where they can post using the uCan Post plugin. From here on you can again have different approaches or use the one mentioned above with uCan post.
    3. No. George will NOT be able (by default) to post anywhere else. You can always alter this behavior with the Multisite User Management plugin.

4. This is the best part and the solutions are right here at WPMUDEV.
    You will use the Easy Blogging plugin, and set it up like this:

Hide these meta boxes on "Edit Post" pages--> choose the ones you think are best.
    I recommend: Send Trackbacks, Custom Fields, Discussion, Slug.
    Force "Easy" mode for user with this role and below: Contributor
    Dashboard widget: YES On the widget you can advertise/remind your Editor job. Even put a link to logged-in users page with the application form.
    Tooltips Settings --> Show Tooltips Yes

For extra help you can use the latest Integrated Video Tutorials together with the Admin Panel Tips plugin.
    Another way of advertising for the position would be by using the WPMU Pop Up plugin.

As I mentioned before there are many different ways to go about. I believe I showed you an easy to follow -for both you and your users- workflow.

Enjoy

• jdsullivan411

Yes, I gift points to helpful posts... I call them bananas. I usually keep it from 1-10, because I don't want to over do it such as giving someone 500 bananas. I've been wondering if there is a limit to points per post to give?

And yes, both posts are very helpful. I had a feeling RSS would be involved in cross-posting of content, and possibly auto-blog. There is a lot here for me to methodically walk through. Will take me awhile. Fortunately, I am getting some interest from people who want to write for me, so those people inspire me to press forward.

I was thinking also that another way, would be to create a site with mutlisite for the writer. For example, a friend is coming on board as a partner with my company, he is experienced in WP.com, skilled at multimedia production, social media and has a brand with a following. So was thinking of creating a site for him, so it's patriotstarnews.us/hisbrand and give him free reign to customize his plugins, pages and categories with some guidelines in place.

I trust him, however, as this grows, there will be a lot of people involved and I do not want to lose my own branding of the sites. And some sites might end up needing a different theme. So I'm wondering, is there a global header plugin that can keep all sites a part of my "network" regardless of what people do with their customization?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.