questions about setting up domain mapping

Just getting started with domain mapping and trying to understand all the instructions. My first attempt failed. so on to the troubleshooting now.

Question 1: Most of my subsites have purchased their own domain on a third party registrant (like Godaddy) and have "redirected" their domain to their subdomain on my mulitisite. Do I need to have them remove this redirection before using my domain mapping?

Question 2: When I attempted to map their domain, I got the message to check the DNS records. Does this mean the DNS on their domain or the DNS of my primary multisite domain?

Question 3: There is a new field with a drop down list of choices in the plugin that is not in the instruction page. It says, "Front end should be redirected to..." and then there are three choices. I need help on understanding what this is all about. Is there another thread talking about this?

I guess I just need to read up on A records to understand what I am attempting to do and whether I need to do anything further on my own domain name, or on the subsites' registrants.

Thanks, Joe.

• aristath

Hello there @joejacobson, I hope you're well today!

Question 1: Most of my subsites have purchased their own domain on a third party registrant (like Godaddy) and have "redirected" their domain to their subdomain on my mulitisite. Do I need to have them remove this redirection before using my domain mapping?

Yes. The plugin does not work with redirections.

Question 2: When I attempted to map their domain, I got the message to check the DNS records. Does this mean the DNS on their domain or the DNS of my primary multisite domain?

It means the DNSs of the domain that you want to map.

Question 3: There is a new field with a drop down list of choices in the plugin that is not in the instruction page. It says, "Front end should be redirected to..." and then there are three choices. I need help on understanding what this is all about. Is there another thread talking about this?

That's weird... I don't seem to have that option on my installation. Could you please post a screenshot of that?

I guess I just need to read up on A records to understand what I am attempting to do and whether I need to do anything further on my own domain name, or on the subsites' registrants.

That would be best, yes.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @joejacobson,

So on number two above, if someone buys a domain, say on Godaddy, each user will have to go do the A record configuration as show in the plugin instructions? Most of my users would have no clue how to do that, even by following the directions.

In addition to the instructions we provide on the usage page, hosting providers usually have a guide on how their users can set up A records on their domains. Since you mentioned GoDaddy, here's an article of theirs as an example:

https://support.godaddy.com/help/article/680/managing-dns-for-your-domain-names

(users would want to click on the "Adding or Editing A Records" link to expand that topic)

Or, should they still encounter issues, you could also suggest that they reach out to their hosting provider about setting up an A record, and get assistance with it that way. :slight_smile:

On this:

Allow me to elaborate here on the options there:

Disabled and entered domain should be used:
    - No redirect takes place.
    - If the mapped domain is entered in the address bar, that's the domain that the user will be taken to; if the unmapped domain is entered in the address bar, then that domain is the domain the user will be taken to.

Directed to mapped (primary) domain:
    - Whether the mapped or unmapped domain is entered, users will be taken to the mapped domain for the site.

Directed to original domain:
    - Whether the mapped or unmapped domain is entered, users will be taken to the unmapped domain for the site.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.