Questions about the New Blog Template plugin

Could you say that the Blog Template plugin provides an alternative to child themes?

If I modify a theme (specifically the header, background, and fonts) and then make a template of it, will that theme, with it's new header and background, be what is available to the users?

And if so, would they still be able to change the header and background to what they want them to be on their own site?

And for the setting "show template selection on registration" - does that show only these templates, or templates plus regular themes, or what?

And can they be assigned to levels in Pro Sites?

And last, are there any live examples of the display options:

As simple selection box
As radio-box selection with descriptions
As theme screenshot selection
As theme screenshot selection with titles and description
As a theme previewer
As a showcase inside a page

And again, for these display options, would only the templates be shown, or templates + regular themes.

Oh dear! One last question - how would these templates be affected if the original theme was updated? Would it act like a child theme, or are the new templates completely separate from their "parent"?

Thanks!

• Patrick

Hi there @CBO

Wow! That's a lot of questions; let's see if we can find answers for all of them, shall we?

Could you say that the Blog Template plugin provides an alternative to child themes?

No. The plugin cannot create child-themes. However, if you use a child-theme on a template site, any sites created using that template will also use the child-theme.

Related questions:

If I modify a theme...

...and...

...how would these templates be affected if the original theme was updated?

As with any theme enabled network-wide, if you make modifications to the theme or child-theme, those modifications will be reflected on every site using that theme/child-theme. New Blog Templates neither prevents nor enhances that behavior.

...would they still be able to change the header and background to what they want them to be on their own site?

Yes, of course. Once a site has been created, regardless of whether it was created with NBT or not, a site admin can switch to any other theme you have made available to sub-sites and/or customize things using whatever options they have available.

And for the setting "show template selection on registration" - does that show only these templates, or templates plus regular themes, or what?

That controls how to display your templates created with NBT plugin. It does not display all themes available in your network. The display can contain a custom screenshot that you upload for each template, as well as a custom description of what the site template contains. There is also a link to the site used for the template if you select the Theme Showcase option.

And can they be assigned to levels in Pro Sites?

Unfortunately, no, not yet. That is being worked on though, I believe. However, you can use the Premium Themes module in Pro Sites to upsell your users by offering premium themes in upgrade packages that they can switch to once their site has been created with a NBT template.

And last, are there any live examples of the display options:

Here again, the answer is no. Due to the sheer number of products we provide, maintaining demo sites with varied setups is simply not practical. The best demo you can get is to install the plugin and have a play with all the various settings, and see what it looks like on your site. :slight_smile:

Oof! I think I covered everything. if you need more information, please don't hesitate to post again.

Cheers!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.