Questions on BD Magazine Theme Layout

Hi,

I would like to make a couple of changes to the layout of my site, which uses the Magazine theme.

Please see screenshots below. The URL is http://4.biz

Here, I would like to remove the 'Hello' copy, so the avatar, log-in text, etc lines up with the left of the screen

Here I want to remove the highlighted links. They appear on the right of the screen in the sidebar anyway and they look a bit messy here.

Any help on how to do this would be appreciated!!

• Tammie

@damianedwards: I will respond to each:

1. You can remove this by editing header.php:

<div id="section-marker">
    <?php _e( 'Hello', 'bp_magazine') ?>
    </div>

However you may need to adjust the layout once that is removed

2. It's not repeated in all cases hence there however you'd have to edit a lot of files to get that to be removed perhaps a better method would be to set that element to display none of to style it as it is in many files. I would advise against removing it perhaps you can attach your own style or something like that to it. I can only indicate the code for you as that is core buddypress and it's up to you how you style or hide / remove that from there.

The bit of code you are looking for is:

<div class="item-list-tabs no-ajax" id="subnav">

<li class="feed">" title="RSS Feed"><?php _e( 'RSS', 'buddypress' ) ?>

<?php do_action( 'bp_activity_syndication_options' ) ?>

<li id="activity-filter-select" class="last">
      <select>
      <option value="-1"><?php _e( 'No Filter', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>
      <option value="activity_update"><?php _e( 'Show Updates', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>

<?php if ( bp_is_active( 'blogs' ) ) : ?>
      <option value="new_blog_post"><?php _e( 'Show Blog Posts', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>
      <option value="new_blog_comment"><?php _e( 'Show Blog Comments', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>
      <?php endif; ?>
      <?php if ( bp_is_active( 'forums' ) ) : ?>
      <option value="new_forum_topic"><?php _e( 'Show New Forum Topics', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>
      <option value="new_forum_post"><?php _e( 'Show Forum Replies', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>
      <?php endif; ?>

<?php if ( bp_is_active( 'groups' ) ) : ?>
      <option value="created_group"><?php _e( 'Show New Groups', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>
      <option value="joined_group"><?php _e( 'Show New Group Memberships', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>
      <?php endif; ?>

<?php if ( bp_is_active( 'friends' ) ) : ?>
      <option value="friendship_accepted,friendship_created"><?php _e( 'Show Friendship Connections', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>
      <?php endif; ?>

<option value="new_member"><?php _e( 'Show New Members', 'buddypress' ) ?></option>

<?php do_action( 'bp_activity_filter_options' ) ?>
      </select>

</div><!-- .item-list-tabs -->

• Tammie

@damianedwards: As I said it's in a lot of the core buddypress files so you need to search it's not just in one place basically anywhere you see profiles. I'm afraid with such an extensive customisation it's up to you to find that and remove as you'll be editing core buddypress files also I wouldn't want to list how to do it without doing it myself and we are unable to do such extensive customisation for you.

Removing search: header.php:

<?php do_action( 'bp_before_search_login_bar' ) ?>
    <?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/includes/searchform.php'); ?>

• Tammie

@damienedwards: You can do whatever you want to that bit we're really in the realms of deeper customisation here so it's your call what you add where and when. You can reduce the header size but I'm not sure that will help with this. I'm not sure what exactly you've done as only been responding to each question :slight_smile:. Off the top of my head you may want to look at :

<div id="header-login-section">

The class is in layout.css I think but you'd be looking to do a search to find that.

As said we can't test every customisation and I've just been telling you where to do it in the code. I would suggest you have a look at installing a firefox plugin called firebug if you are doing such heavy customisation as you can then see each class yourself and know where and what file to adjust.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.