Questions page looks horrible under Ultimatum theme

Greetings helpful wpmudev folks,

I’m trying to get Q&A to play nice with my website where I’ve been using the Ultimatum theme. I’m really having very little success. It doesn’t seem to care what I do, it just comes up looking awful.

Help?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings RickMacMerc,

Sorry to see that you are having difficulties integrating the Q&A plugin into your framework theme Ultimatum.

From my understanding of framework based themes almost everything needing to be integrated has to be integrated into the framework too and you have done this?

You have integrated Q&A into the Ultimatum theme framework?

How about some screen shots or a URL please?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings RickMacMerc,

Thank you for the additional input and the URL’s which help show what you have going on there.

Looking at your http://appman.tv/questions page it appears that it needs a lot of cleanup to get it even close to matching your web site.

I am not a coder myself but what I would have done to get this going would be to make a copy of single.php or page.php and create a unique page i.e. qapage.php and then take coding from the Q&A templates and incorporate them within the page I copied and customized earlier.

Please advise if my last paragraph makes any sense to you at all?

Look forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• RickMacMerc
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I know enough to know I’m not a coder either. I haven’t looked into the Q&A php files, but I’m game to give it a try. Can anyone who is a coder give me some idea of what I should look for? Maybe a span of code I should copy and where into single-copy.php I should paste it?

Thanks folks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings RickMacMerc,

Thank you for your additional input which is certainly appreciated.

The templates are in the /wp-content/plugins/qa/default-templates and if you look at the code there is not much to them.

However, I will certainly let you see what the lead developer has to say, but please keep in mind that this is custom coding which is beyond the scope of the support we provide here but I did try to help anyway.

I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

For some reason css files of the theme are not loaded on the questions page, but those of the other plugins (Q&A, app store assistant, comments plus, etc) are loaded.

It looks like you need to define custom post type (questions) somewhere on the theme. Do you see a setting like that?

I will get the theme and I will check myself though.

Cheers,

Hakan

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Hakan,

Sent you the theme Chief and watch out because it is indeed a ball buster starting with the blank screen phenomenon when visiting the site it is installed and activated on.

Somewhere in their help section is the answer to getting around this phenomenon.

I hope that helps a bit sir.

Cheers, Joe

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

I checked Ultimatum “theme” for the first time and I analysed the codes in detail also.

First of all, this is not a theme. You cannot make it work out of the box. This is a “theme builder” (their own wording) and this is absolutely not for the end users. It could be fine for theme developers only but, it completely lacks the concept of WordPress.

Let me clarify this:

WordPress uses a sophisticated, but at the same time very efficient concept of adding template and child files for customization. You add your own php files if you need to make your own look.

Ultimatum completely ignores this concept and tries to create a new (I am not sure about this new thing, maybe some other “frameworks” tried to do that) “user friendly” approach. But it fails.

It is extremely slow, because it has to look into the database for some settings, poorly written php codes ( I cannot believe $wpdb is so poorly used), etc. etc.

There are unnecessary regex commands, which looks like a temporary fix to some problems. ob_start commands which may cause conflicts with caching plugins, etc.

In summary this is a terrible “theme” or whatever they call it. It looks like an adaptation of existing php functions of a developer who saw that there is a virgin market in WordPress.

Dear developer, you had completely missed the idea behind WordPress.

WordPress is NOT just writing your index.php file and filling it with html generated by your settings. What you are doing is php coding, not WordPress coding. WordPress coding requires some expertise. At least use $wpdb properly, and wp_cache_set, wp_cache_get.

If we come to this subject here:

@rickmacmerc,

I do not recommend you to continue this “theme”. Because for each custom post type which is using its own templates, you will have this problem. For example, it is not working for Events+ either.

This “theme” does not obey the concept of template system WP uses. It tries to create its own and overwrites it.

But custom post type plugins usually overrides this before themes do it, so you will have this problem any time.

If you still insist to use this “theme”, refer to your theme developer (I already told above that this is not suitable for the end user) and ask him to generate 2 files from that awful index.php file of Ultimatum: header-question.php and footer-question.php, which Ultimatum lacks without any understandable reason*

*: Developer could not even think that header.php and footer.php are required for a lot of plugins, can you imagine that? – He should have separated his codes as header-index-footer, but he didn’t care. He doesn’t care, but now we have to care… He is probably an experienced php developer, BUT WordPress is not php only.

Cheers,

Hakan

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Hakan,

Thank you Chief for that invaluable input which absolutely explains why I could not get this “theme” to operate as expected on my sites and it has been sitting dead since I bought it in July and the furthest to date i have gotten is a blank page … lol

http://aecnu.us/

Which still exists to date and you are absolutely correct that it is a theme builder and that is how it was sold to me. In additional, though it is a theme builder, it requires the underlying framework to make the theme work once one does manage to build something with it.

Thanks again for the input and clarification of exactly what we are working with.

@rickmacmerc Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• RickMacMerc
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

This is sad news for me. I realize Ultimatum is not a theme per se, but I thought that since there were folders in the Q&A install for Thesis that there might be some hope.

That said, is Thesis 2 supported? My site is simple enough that I shouldn’t have any trouble recreating it in any theme building platform, but I’ve bought a couple already and I’d rather not buy something else I won’t get to use if it doesn’t work with the functions and plug-ins I’ve got my heart set on.

Thanks.

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi Rick.

Yes Thesis is supported, because they are thoughtful enough to let template files to be used, which is the normal case. Just copy the files inside plugins/qa/thesis-templates/ folder to themes/thesis_2x/ folder.

Cheers,

Hakan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.