Quick Question

Hello, I use Pay With A Like for my online magazine, and was just wondering if there is a fix for how the “like” button is grayed out once it’s been liked (even days after…i have cookie validity time set to 24). I know I can ‘unlike’ the button by clicking the x, but it isn’t very intuitive for users, do you know what I mean? Thank you for your help!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

I think maybe you can only like an item once on Facebook. I’m sure I spoke with Hakan about this before but I’ll ping him again just to ensure that’s correct.

Maybe after a like the button changes to a share/send button instead.

We’ll see what he says. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

I am not sure I understand your question correctly. Do you want the protected content be revealed even after some days? Then it will be sufficient to increase the cookie time.

Or do you want the content to be protected, but the button used to like the content to be invisible? I am afraid there is no solution for this at the moment.

Please note that we can only add the buttons or not add them. The main control of the buttons are on social websites, e.g. Facebook. Those buttons are like tiny external websites hosted on your page.

Cheers,

Hakan

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey @hakan

As I understand it they want people to like it and get the content.

Then in a few days time if they want that content again, they have to like it again other wise they don’t see it. So like Twitter, you could tweet multiple times about it.

You can’t like posts multiple times though right?

So my thought was what if you could like it once and then on return and when access expired it’s the send/share button instead?

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/send/

That way if your members wanted more access they could in turn for more promotion on FB.

Not sure how practical that would be with Facebook Social, was just a thought. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi Tim,

If this is the case, then extending cookie time will be sufficient.

If cookie expires, plugin cannot know if content has been liked before, only Facebook (or Twitter, etc) can know it. Plugin is not aware that FB button has an X mark on it to dislike. As I wrote before, those buttons do not belong to the website; they are just “guests” there.

Cheers,

Hakan

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Makes perfect sense, I understood. :slight_smile:

I think the reason they want multiple likes is for the multiple ads it would put on someone else’s Facebook page. So if they come back again, then the content costs them another ad spot on their wall.

Hope that makes sense.

Just thinking out aloud here, but what if the admin could select to use the send instead as send can be used multiple times right? So it would allow multiple ads on a single users wall.

Cheers.

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

There is nothing like multiple likes. FB or the others do not allow multiple likes from the same page: you can like/share/recommend a page (url) only once.

PWAL should not be used in that sense.

If your protected content is valuable or unique then you should sell it. Its price can be as low as 1 cent, but client spends some effort even paying that 1 cent. That effort makes that content more valuable. Pay Per View is suitable for this, so called micro publishing.

When you use PWAL, your content shall not be so valuable. You just put it on your website, expect some people like and enjoy it, and you should not care any further.

Cheers,

Hakan

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Ok fair enough.

you can like/share/recommend a page (url) only once.

You can however use the Send one multiple times, that option is not a one time thing. It allows you to keep selecting your friends or email address.

Thanks for looking at this though.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.