Quick Question about Pro Sites.

Hi there,

If I want to set up Pro Sites to start a blog type network, are there any requirements that need to be done, when installing WordPress, or do I install WordPress as usual, and the plugin does the rest?

I am trying to build out a network for a client, but have not done WPMU or equivalent in the past.

I am mainly looking for the ability to set up, a network of blog or magazine sites, with the domain mapping, etc.

Also, can pro sites work with any theme? Meaning, after set up, is the user allow to upload custom purchased themes?

Thanks,

Sam

• Patrick

Hi there @Sam

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

Pro Sites requires that your WordPress install be first converted to a multisite install. You'll find instructions & prerequisites here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Once you have enabled multisite on your site, go ahead and install Pro Sites & network-activate it.

You can then start configuring Pro Sites with features & the upgrade levels you want to offer to your users.

As for your question about the themes, the answer is no. In a multisite install, only the network administrator can upload/edit/delete themes and plugins.

Subsite admins have the same capabilities as single site admins, with the exception of theme/plugin management.

So the network administrator (you, or your client in this case) would first upload the themes and/or plugins you want to make available to your subsite admins.

To make a theme available for activation on subsite, it must be network-enabled.

To make plugin available for activation on subsites, simply do not activate at all at the network level. A bit confusing, I know. :slight_smile:

Here's another wrench to throw into the works: once you have Pro Sites network-activated, you can also enable the Premium Themes and/or Premium Plugins addons in Pro Sites.

Those addons enable the network administrator to set selected plugins/themes as being included only in selected Pro Site upgrade levels.

To do so, the selected themes/plugins should not be activated or enabled at the network level.

Please do let us know if this helps, and I have just added to the confusion, don't hesitate to post again if you need more help with this. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.