Quick question before using Ultimate Translate

In the past I used another translater on a site and the size of the site physically went out of control. I had to move it from one server to another and it was a massive move. We finally had to cut it down to english only and basically rebuild it.

I have since encouraged my clients not to use a translator unless they really believe they have an international audience.

Here's the question:

Does this overcome some of the huge bulkiness of earlier translators that would essentially clone your site in these massive directories? I have a client that wants to do about a third of the languages supported in the google translate api. Furthermore, he is doing a group of about 30 domains.

Any suggestions to initially set it up right would be helpful. I have read all of the documentation, and really have read all of the posts on Ultimate Translate and it looks very powerful and very good.

Thanks,

John

  • Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

    Hiya!

    I can't be 100% sure but I'm fairly confident that translations are done on the fly and so not stored. There may however be a small cache for frequently requested languages on some posts/pages.

    I'll ask the developer to confirm that though...

    Cheers,
    Phil

  • JulianRosengren
    • New Recruit

    Hello,

    I have installed this plug in but when I am trying to access the translated page it says "The virtual directory" does not allow browsing...
    What are the requisites necessary to install the plugin anyway? Do I need to set special permissions and if yes where? Do i need to create virtual or real directories for each language I wish to translate?
    I am running this on a Windows 2003 server with IIS.

    Thank you for the answers.

    Julian Rosengren

  • Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

    Hiya folks,

    Just posted this on Julian's other thread:

    Unfortunately, this plugin is now in the process of being phased out. We won't be updating it for the upcoming release of WordPress 3.2.

    There are many reasons for this, the main one being the fact that it relies on Google's Translation API to do it's magic - which Google is shutting down:
    http://code.google.com/apis/language/translate/overview.html

    It's a bummer as it was a handy little plugin, but was never widely used here. If there's enough demand for it and we're able to find an alternate solution we'll revisit the idea, but for now we have no plans to do so.

    Feel free to open a new thread on some suggested alternatives or solutions you may find.

    Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.