Quick signup for download & newsletter options for Membership Pro?

I wanted to see if it is possible to use the Membership Pro plugin to:

1) enable a download after a visitor signs up for the free level of site membership quickly with only their email address-. By this meaning with or without email confirmation, similar to some landing pages.

2) I would also like to be able to sync the site members through the plugin with a newsletter. I have the MyMail Newsletter plugin already but am open to change if needed for compatibility with Membership Pro.

What is your advice about my options and possible implementations? Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Khalil,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for the questions!

1) enable a download after a visitor signs up for the free level of site membership quickly with only their email address-. By this meaning with or without email confirmation, similar to some landing pages.

Membership 2 has an add-on called "Profile Fields" that lets you customize the registration form. You can remove all fields except the Email and password fields. Would that work?

2) I would also like to be able to sync the site members through the plugin with a newsletter. I have the MyMail Newsletter plugin already but am open to change if needed for compatibility with Membership Pro.

We do have a mailchimp add-on as well so you can auto sync new users to a mailchimp list. I've attached screenshots of both add-on options.

Hope that helps! Any further questions just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Bizforge Staff

Sorry, I should have been more clear. We want to offer custom desktops (images) for download, with the requirement to sign up for the free membership level through the plugin. You guys have had some good articles on setting up memberships recently! What was intended is that -if there is there is a gallery for thumbnails great, otherwise we would use whatever preview function a good download plugin has or the display function of a preview page. There is no need to protect the preview images or be able to monetize the desktop downloads, just using them as a incentive for mailing list /membership signup. For example:

1) have a link to a page for a download of a desktop, that page usually has a thumbnail featured image. If there is a preview or lightbox of some kind great - but its not a requirement. (Not sure here if the page is protected by the plugin or just the download with MP2)
    2) If they are member and signed its just one click to start the download
    3) If they are not a member then we want to sign them up with minimal info, confirm and give access. What I understand from the first response above about the membership signup function (indicated by the arrow) is that the membership plugin is already confirming the email similar to a double optin. So I can just then use that setting to-
    4) Automatically add them to the Mail chimp mailing list and grant access to the download.

So I guess most of my question is really about 3 & 4 and I would love any example sites to see how others might be implementing sort of similar resource giveaway such as ebooks with the plugin. Thanks.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Khalil,

Thanks for the detailed reply :slight_smile:

1) have a link to a page for a download of a desktop, that page usually has a thumbnail featured image. If there is a preview or lightbox of some kind great - but its not a requirement. (Not sure here if the page is protected by the plugin or just the download with MP2)

Yeah so you can do a couple things. If you have a "Download" button on that page then you could wrap the button in a membership shortcode like this:

[ms-protect-content id="78"]
    <insert button here>
    [/ms-protect-content]

That would protect it from everyone except the membership with id=78. Everyone else you could replace the button with a message like "You must become a member to download this image" and link to registration.

OR

You could protect the whole page as you mention.

OR

You could protect the media file itself with our Media Protection add-on. Be sure to open the "details" section of the add-on so you can manage protection per image. As seen in my screenshot. With this one, they would see the download link but then would see a restricted screen when trying to download it.

3) If they are not a member then we want to sign them up with minimal info, confirm and give access. What I understand from the first response above about the membership signup function (indicated by the arrow) is that the membership plugin is already confirming the email similar to a double optin. So I can just then use that setting to-
    4) Automatically add them to the Mail chimp mailing list and grant access to the download.

Yes, so the option that I point the arrow too allows you to automatically add the new members email to your mailchimp list right away. No double opt-in required, as you mention - the membership sign up sort of acts as the double opt-in. It's still good to mention somewhere that they will be automatically added to the list though.

I don't have any example sites right now but the 3 options I've mentioned above are the most popular I would think. Basically, you just want to have a landing page for the download where you either have a button or link or something to 1-click download the image and protect that link with a shortcode. Or you can protect that whole page instead if you like.

If you still have further questions on this just let me know :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.