Re: custom menus - how to add and remove pages scheduled for later publishing

1. I am using a custom menu "Menu 2." The problem is that I have many entire pages not scheduled to be published until 6 or 8 months from now. I have not found how to have the custom menu automatically display them when they are published as scheduled. Instead, I have to remember when it was to be published and manually update the menu. This is not only a pain, but very unreliable for me!
So -- how can the process be automated/linked to scheduled publishing dates?

2. I need to have certain published pages expire at a given point in time. I see that there is a plug-in "WordPress Schedule Selected Content" that looks as if it might do this. My concern is this: The "Usage" section of the plug-in description says this: "On the front end you’ll see a countdown clock indicating when the content will be released." By front end, does that mean just on the visual editor, or on the page itself when published?

3. If you answer me in code, it won't help. I don't speak code.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mjb

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

1. I am using a custom menu "Menu 2." The problem is that I have many entire pages not scheduled to be published until 6 or 8 months from now. I have not found how to have the custom menu automatically display them when they are published as scheduled. Instead, I have to remember when it was to be published and manually update the menu. This is not only a pain, but very unreliable for me!
    So -- how can the process be automated/linked to scheduled publishing dates?

If you are using a custom menu via appearance > menus, there should be a check box, to automatically add new pages to the menu, (please see attached screenshot), do you think that would work for you?

2. I need to have certain published pages expire at a given point in time. I see that there is a plug-in "WordPress Schedule Selected Content" that looks as if it might do this. My concern is this: The "Usage" section of the plug-in description says this: "On the front end you’ll see a countdown clock indicating when the content will be released." By front end, does that mean just on the visual editor, or on the page itself when published?

The schedule selected content plugin, will show a count-down timer on the page/post on the front-end if that makes sense?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mjb

Jack, you're being really helpful! Thanks again for your patience.

Re: #1. You wrote "If you are using a custom menu via appearance > menus, there should be a check box, to automatically add new pages to the menu, (please see attached screenshot), do you think that would work for you?"

First of all, I can't find an attached screenshot! Where should I look for it? I've noticed the "Auto Add Pages" box, but it reads "Automatically add new top-level pages to this menu" I'm not adding new top-level pages, but new submenu pages, so figured this would not work.

Re: #2. My question is, does "front-end" mean what the site visitor sees, or the visual editor in the admin side? It's fine with me for that to show on the visual editor, but I don't want it on the viewable pages. Each page will be published in its entirety, but on different dates. Is my question more clear?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mjb

I hope you are well today.

#1 Sorry about that, the screenshot didn't get added, normally it would be at the bottom of the post, unfortunately I only know of one way to add sub pages automatically and it requires custom coding, which is this here http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/a/100850
    But after taking a look around, I found this plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/auto-submenu/ which might work?

#2 It would be shown to a site visitor if that makes sense? Though we should be able to hide it if you'd like to?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mjb

Hi Jack, Thanks again.

#1 I tried the auto-submenu plug-in, but found that it adds all items that have ever been under that menu item, including pulling a bunch from the trash! Well, that won't do. So I guess I'm back to doing it manually, at least for now.

Re: the coding that you linked to: would this mechanism also add all pages - current and past - to the submenu? Or just current ones?

I do have someone that can manage the code for me if needed. But I just need to know that I won't end up with the same situation as I had earlier today, where all sorts of trashed pages appeared on the submenu. Also, will the code remove pages from the submenu as they expire?

#2 I understand what you are saying about content. I found a plugin, "auto post expire by user role" that I've installed and hope will work. I believe that it syncs about midnight, and we haven't passed that mark yet so it's really too soon to tell.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mjb,

I hope you are well today and thanks for the additional information.

The code linked will add all sub pages only current and newly created ones, not ones from the trash, It won't remove them upon page expiration, That would require additional coding.

2: That's great, glad to hear you may have found something that is going to work for you :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.