RE: Directory plugin - Do not link to empty listings.

When using the [dr_list_categories] I find that it displays links for empty categories that link to non existing pages nor does it show how many listings are in a category ex: Advertisers (0) or Information Technology (1) I suggest displaying the category title without the link when empty and to have the option of having a listing count at the end of a category title. If this plugin already has this ability, please make it easier to find the documentation to explain this.

• aecnu

Greetings netwarden,

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available - but we would love to put it into consideration for future development

I have moved this ticket to the applicable feature requests area and I have alerted the lead developer to the request.

It might take a bit longer than useful but alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• netwarden

What is meant by "It might take a bit longer than useful", this site advertises "Submit feature requests and we'll develop our plugins just for you" and "It's like having your own personal WordPress development team". This is exactly why I paid for full WPMUdev membership, so I can get the right plugins working the right way with the right features quickly.

I have been burned by software companies before, spending hundreds of dollars for a product that just does not perform as I need it to or it just fails altogether. I was hoping that this site was different.

I would not mind paying $20/month for membership here (to be able to get continued updates), however at $80/month I need to get my money's worth and that just would not happen. I know that I could get membership for less if I pay for the year, however I can't afford to tie-up my cash flow like that. Also all members would benefit from the recommended features I requested, so why would I pay extra for a developer to do what I already paid for?

• aecnu

Greetings netwarden,

Thank you for your feedback and issues regarding the sales page or the like please take it up with management which can be done here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

However, regardless of your feature request the Directory plugin is not compatible with Buddy Press as I now see is installed on your MultiSite located at http://www.807area.ca

Every product has a home page and on that home page are instructions for the product under the usage tab but more importantly at this point in the right column is a compatibility list and Buddy Press is not in the list for the Directory plugin as shown here.

Please advise if this is indeed the correct site that you are trying to use the Directory plugin on and if you intend to remove Buddy Press or?

Let me know.

Cheers, Joe

• netwarden

Joe,

First, Thank you for replying to this post - I am sorry that I did not respond straightaway, many other things on the go (I am sure you know what that is all about).

Yes I am using Buddy Press, however I am only using the Directory plugin on the single site and NOT integrating nor using any Buddy Press functionality with it. I may be wrong, however I don't think my site using Buddy Press has any effect on what I am requesting here.

This thread only about the Directory short-code and the layout of the content it produces. If Buddy Press does have an effect on the Directory plugin, where would I find out what the risks/effects are?

• netwarden

I do not want to hide any categories (empty or not), I want to have my audience to know what categories are available. I just don't want them wasting their time navigating into empty categories (this also hurts search standings). Simply presenting an empty category however NOT as a link would be a fix good for this.

As for counting listings in the top categories with counts of all the children is not necessarily a bad thing (it shows that it has something in it) not that I use sub categories anyways. There should be an option for the site admin to choose whether to have top level count display or not.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.