Re-downloading child themes for Upfront

How can I re-download a child theme that I have broken?

Adam Czajczyk

Hello jschaum,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

You'll find all Upfront child-themes here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/#uf-themes

For any theme that you'd like to download please click on "Read more" button and you'll be taken to a dedicated page of that theme. If you're logged in into your WPMU DEV account you'll find a "Download Theme" link there (see screenshot).

In case you needed to download Upfront (parent theme) as well, you can also get it from the very same page (see screenshot).

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

jschaum1499

Adam,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Unfortunately, your answer does not solve my problem. Since I have already installed the theme on my website, your install link will not work for me. I am told the theme is already installed and asked if I want to install it on another website. What I want to do is delete the installed theme and then re-install it because I ruined the theme while experimenting with it.

Jim

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jim!

Take a look at the screenshot please: there's a gray download link that you should see if you're logged in to your WPMU DEV account on premium.wpmudev.org site.

When you click on that link the .zip archive with a theme will be downloaded to your computer. You may then follow these steps:

- extract the zip file to your local storage
    - access your server via FTP and re-upload the theme files, overriding existing files

Instead of downloading theme you may also go this way:

- login to your dashboard
    - go to "Appearance -> Themes"
    - switch to any other theme than the one you'd like to re-install
    - click on "Theme Details" for the theme that you'd like to re-install
    - at the bottom of theme details popup window there's a "Delete" link that will remove the theme.
    - once its deleted you may simply go to your dashboard's "WPMU DEV -> Themes" page and re-install theme from there.

Each of these solution should fix the theme if the reason it got "broken" is that there were some changes made to theme files. If you however need to "reset" any Upfront child theme (or Upfront itself) to the default state, an attached plugin will help.

To use it, please download an attached .zip file and install it on your site the "standard way" ("Plugins -> Add new -> Upload"). After it's installed and enabled you may then go to the "Tools -> Upfront Themes" page and you'll be able to reset any Upfront theme to default.

Please note however that this is not an official WPMU DEV plugin and we do not provide support for it.

Best regards,
    Adam

jschaum1499

Adam,

I have tried what you suggested, except for the plugin. What I had done was to delete elements and change elements within the "Spirit" child theme. It seems that since this is a child theme, deleting the theme using the Wordpress - Appearance - Theme menu and reinstalling the theme do not work. I hate to seem negative, but the Upfront framework is not very intuitive and seems to suffer from a lot of problems.

Jim

jschaum1499

Adam,

I have gone as far as removing the WPMU DEV plugin and deleting the Upfront theme from my Wordpress site, re-downloading the plugin and adding the website back and them re-installing the Upfront theme and I still get the modified "Spirit" child theme when I install that child theme. I deleted the files from my Wordpress site manually using an FTP client. What in the world are your developers doing with the Upfront theme. Where in the world are the child theme elements being stored? I deleted both the Upfront and Spirit theme folders completely and after re-installing I still get the same modified Spirit theme that I am trying to get rid of. This is insane.

Jim

Milan

Hello Jim,

Hope you are well today

Please let me clarify about deletion of theme first.

When you delete any theme from your wordpress installation, Wp system only removes its files from your host, not the data saved in database.

When you make changes with Upfront, theme actually stores data in connected database. So now when you remove theme from Appearance > Themes , wp system removes theme's files and folders from host, not the actual data theme has saved in database.

So
    how to delete changes which theme has saved in database ?
    For that you just need to fire one tiny command which is

Upfront.Util.reset_all();

How and where will you fire that command ?
    To fire that command you will need to open browser's developer console. In my case I am using chrome browser. So to open developer console in chrome hit ( Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + I ) key, and then navigate to "Console" tab. Paste command in input line and hit enter. After doing this, please refresh the page. This process should have removed all the data saved by theme at this point.

Please see this video for more explanation.
    http://screencast.com/t/jhIpxwHKV

Please conduct I've suggested changes and if you think this is somewhat difficult for you then enable support staff access to your site via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Staff > Grant Access and I will conduct resetting operation for you on your end.

Cheers,
    Milan

jschaum1499

Adam,

It turns out that the Upfront framework store elements of a child theme in the MySQL database of a Wordpress site. Once you start deleting elements from a theme, the only way to get them back is to restore the database. For some reason, if you delete and reinstall the theme, it does not overwrite the contents of the database and restore the original elements. It may be a bug in the machine. I did finally get the "Spirit" child theme restored by blowing away the whole website and recreating it. The first thing I did after installing the Upfront theme was to take a backup.

Jim

Milan

Hello Jim,

Yes you are right our Upfront stores layout's data in database. And you can remove those saved data ( resetting theme ) by following method stated in my this reply,
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/re-downloading-child-themes-for-upfront#post-1054983

If you need further assistance with this one please don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy WPMU DEV.

Cheers,
    Milan