Re Ignored Ticket: How to style an Events+ event page

Hi there,

I made a query last week but it seems to have been ignored (again) and just before that, it was glossed over by Patrick. If you could help me resolve this issue ASAP, it'd be very much appreciated. I'm going to have an angry client tonight, who is expecting her site to go live... But it can't until this issue is resolved, so I'm hoping you get back to me before my evening is over. Fingers crossed.

In short, I want to make some very small changes to the current layout and function of my Events+ page.

I'm a little frustrated, because the request is pretty basic, so...

REGARDING THIS PAGE (AS AN EXAMPLE):

http://secretsunday.wpengine.com/events/2015/06/sunday-lunch-on-21st-june-2015/

I WROTE IN TO CLARIFY SOMETHING FOR VINOD, WHO WAS HELPING ME BEFORE. I WROTE:

"Regarding what I mean by "Completely eliminating the need for clicking the buttons," I was hoping that the yellow PayPal screen could be the very first thing you see, rather than the button(s) you have to click to say you're attending. Basically, can we simply bypass the button step of the process?

If that isn't possible, can we just change the text on the button to say, "Attend this event"? I do quite like your solution of just having the single button, but...

There is one issue I have with the button system, however. And I think this is a flaw. If the user does NOT complete the transaction but DID press the button before being redirected to the PayPal screen, the number of attendees still decreases by one even though the ticket hasn't been bought! Can this be resolved so that the only way the number of attendees decreases is if they actually fulfil their PayPal payment?

PATRICK THEN QUOTED ME:

" If the user does NOT complete the transaction but DID press the button before being redirected to the PayPal screen, the number of attendees still decreases by one even though the ticket hasn't been bought. "

THEN PATRICK JUSTIFIED THE BUILT-IN FUNCTIONALITY:

"That is actually by design, and is reliant on the cookie set in the user's browser. This is an especially nice bit of UX for those hesitant users who click stuff, but then take some time to think about it. Then come back and complete the payment process. If that wasn't the case, their hesitation could cost them their place in line for a very popular event, or one with a very limited attendance."

BUT PATRICK FAILED TO GIVE ME ANY MORE INFORMATION AND HAS NOW IGNORED MY MOST RECENT REPLY, WHICH SAYS:

[note: I've added another question since my original response]

I agree it's a good function for the specific situation you mentioned, but it's not so good if someone stays on the fence and never purchases, because the place remains empty, so...

If we can't (ideally) eliminate the step where the user has to press the "I'm Attending" button...

1) How do we change the words “I’m Attending” on the button to “Attend This Event"?

2) Then, can we move the "I'm Attending" button over to the left and move the number of available places over to the left? If so, how?

2) There are too many steps in the subsequent payment process. We do not want users to be forced to register at all—not via Facebook, not via Twitter, not via Google, not even via WordPress. We just want the user to be instantly redirected to PayPal itself when they hit that PayPal button. Is it possible to remove this step from the process?

If that can’t work with your built in system, how can I COMPLETELY eliminate YOUR PayPal button along with the whole “I’m Attending” step, so that I can simply add my own payment button in its place?

--

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Mark,

I apologise that your ticket is still unanswered, I can assure you that it's not being ignored, sometimes when we get overwhelmed with tickets it takes a bit longer to get a response but we try our best to respond to everyone in timely matter.

First thing I would like to mention here is the RSVP status auto-reset add-on that will reset fields if users haven't paid after a certain time.
    You can activate it by going to Events > Settings > Add-ons tab.
    After that you will see new tab to set everything up, see screenshot attached.

1) How do we change the words “I’m Attending” on the button to “Attend This Event"?

Changing the button text can be done by using Ultimate Branding plugin and it's text change option:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/

Then, can we move the "I'm Attending" button over to the left and move the number of available places over to the left? If so, how?

Try adding this CSS code:

#wpmudevevents-header .eab-limit_capacity-remaining {
        float: right;
        top: 10px;
        position: relative;
    }

#wpmudevevents-header .wpmudevevents-buttons {
    	float: left;
    }

You can use plugin like this one for this additional CSS:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

2) There are too many steps in the subsequent payment process. We do not want users to be forced to register at all—not via Facebook, not via Twitter, not via Google, not even via WordPress. We just want the user to be instantly redirected to PayPal itself when they hit that PayPal button. Is it possible to remove this step from the process?

Registration is required for plugin to register payments and count attendees.
    You can try enabling RSVP with email address add-on and check if that solution will work for you.

Hope this helps and I didn't miss anything.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark,

I hope you're well today! Would you mind if I add a few words here?

I just want to apologize one more that you have to wait and assure you that we're doing everything humanly possible to replay quickly and find the best solution for you.

I've read all this thread and I'd like to add one more thing to regarding this part of your question:

If that can’t work with your built in system, how can I COMPLETELY eliminate YOUR PayPal button along with the whole “I’m Attending” step, so that I can simply add my own payment button in its place?

Although you cannot completely remove the "I'm Attending" step (apart from replacing the button text as my colleague described), you should be able to switch off login requirement. To do so, please go to your dashboard's

"Appointments" -> "Settings" page -> "General" tab

and scroll down a bit. At the very bottom of the "Accessibility Settings" box there's this option: "Login required".

Setting this to "No" should allow client to apply for an appointment without logging in to your site.

If you have any further questions or need more assistance, please ask. I'll be happy to help!

Regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Mark,

No worries I didn't take it personally, I know how waiting can be frustrating and we are trying to work as fast as possible to accomplish everything but there are times when when get overwhelmed with tickets in just few hours.

That being said, it looks like Adam was also in a hurry here and thought you are using Appointments+ instead of Events+, that's why you are not seeing that option which is available in Appointments+ :slight_smile:

Please let us know if some solutions from my first comment helped you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Mark Smarticle

Your 'RSVP status auto-reset' worked, as did the text change.

I also enabled the 'RSVP with email address' hoping that it can override the convoluted login process. However, this still isn't working properly and it's making me wanna throw myself off a tall building!!! lol

Now, when I click "Attend this event," an email field pops up, along with a REPEAT of the words "Attend this event" on yet another button. The field and the box don't line up, plus the button is a random grey colour, so it really doesn't look very professional. Furthermore, when I add my email address and click the second "Attend this event" button, NOTHING happens. It does NOT redirect me to the PayPal screen at all?!? Not good. So...

If I explain the exact requirements of the user experience, hopefully you can help me make it happen.

BEST CASE SCENARIO

1. User arrives on event page, which shows there are 12 seats left.
    2. User clicks "Attend this event".
    3. PayPal screen appears.
    4. User chooses how many tickets they require (and available seats counter reflects that... although it will reset after an hour if they don't purchase).
    5. User pays for event (and available seats counter reflects that).
    6. User leaves happy, knowing what they have paid for.

SECOND BEST CASE SCENARIO

3. User is required to fill out email address ONLY!
    4. PayPal screen appears.
    5. User chooses how many tickets they require (and available seats counter reflects that... although it will reset after an hour if they don't purchase).
    6. User pays for event (and available seats counter reflects that).
    7. User leaves happy, knowing what they have paid for.

WORST CASE SCENARIO

We completely disable your entire checkout process and only use the Events+ plugin as a way to display the events. Then my client can simply add her own PayPal button and go through the (not-so-ideal) process of manually changing the post when the event sells out.

If you could please be hasty with this response, it'd be much appreciated. She's losing her patience with me.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Mark,

You can hide attending button easily by using CSS code like this:

#wpmudevevents-header {
    	display: none;
    }

But connecting new PayPal button to existing event is more complicated and it would require some complex coding.

If you already have an idea how to add the PayPal button you can do that by going to events-and-bookings/default-templates/default/ folder and adding it in single-incsub_event.php somewhere around line 40 in the code.

If you are in a hurry to customize this then you can post a job in our job board where you can hire a developer to assist further:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/
    Please note that, no WPMU official staff members are allowed to work in the job board.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @Mark Hare,

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the delay/
    Actually, the add-onRSVP with email address will help your user can book an event without register an account. If you disable that add-on, the flow will be very close to your best case, which is like this

3. A box appear, which let user to consider the seat to order. (we need to check on this stage, to verify the amount is right before submit to PayPal)
    4. PayPal screen appears.
    5. User pays for event (and available seats counter reflects that).
    6. User leaves happy, knowing what they have paid for.

The case you enable that add-on, so the flow will be, only the case user still not login
    3. A box appear, which let user to enter their email, but the button "I'm attending" seem a little bit confuse, we can change it. Client submit, WordPress will create an account for that user, and go to step 4.
    4. A box appear, which let user to consider the seat to order.
    5. PayPal screen appears.

The Events plugin will rely on user account, so the add-on RSVP with email address is a way for user can quickly register an account. I think we can make this flow, which is easier to understand
    2. Check does user logged in or not, if not, we will give them a message, and a link to register/login page, if user already logged, we go to step 4.
    3. User register, and we will redirect them back to the event page
    4. A box appear, which let user to consider the seat to order.
    5. PayPal screen appears.

If you are fine with that, I can provide you a small code to make it works :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Mark Smarticle

Hi Hoang,

I disabled RSVP with email address in an attempt to achieve "best case," but when I click "Attend this event" I am still seeing the WordPress Login screen, unfortunately, which says...

"Excellent, few more steps! We need you to login or register to get you marked as coming!

Can you check to see if you're experiencing the same thing, please? Here's the link: http://secretsunday.wpengine.com/events/2015/07/cool-new-event-2/

As you know, I do not want users to be required to log in... At all. My client ONLY wants her users to be required to enter any information once... i.e. their PayPal information (once the PayPal screen appears). No logging into WordPress or creating a user account. Just paying for the event.

If you have a quick solution to that, or indeed if I have misunderstood something, please help me with the solution. Alternatively, please tell me how to disable the PayPal step (screen + button) AND the "Attend this event" step (screen + button) completely. That way, my client can easily add her own PayPal button.

Like I say, if you don't have an instant solution, please, please, please tell me how to disable your integrated PayPal system. At least then, her site can go live. I will simply use your Events+ plugin as a way of displaying the event and I can add a simple PayPal button into the body of the Event Post. That will be a more satisfactory solution for my client than the current login process.

Obviously the ideal would simply be to eliminate the login step and still benefit from the 'available seats counter' BUT if we have to sacrifice that in order to eliminate the logging in process, so be it.

Thanks. I look forward to your solution for one or the other.

Kind regards,
    Mark

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @Mark Hare,

I hope you are well today.

Can you please replace the file /events-and-bookings/js/eab-rsvp_with_email.js with the attachment, and then re-enable the add-on RSVP with email address. For now, when an user submit an email, this will load the PayPal form instead of need the user to reload the page, and click on the attend button again :slight_smile:

Lets see if it can help :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.