Re-installing site category plugin

My site category selection was working but at some point the category selection on the blog creation page stopped woking. I have tweaked the settings and now the dropdown on site category selection is not selectable. I have dectivated, deleted, and re-installed the plugin but it looks like the old categorys are still active. It looks to me like the database entrys are keept when the plugin is deleted. Could you guide me om how to delete old database entrys, and install the plugin so it will work as a fresh plugin installation.

• Bjorn

I tweaked some more on the settings, and th dropdown worked again if I set parent selectable on the landing page setting. It shold not relly affect the dropdown, but it looks like that was the solution. I also got a different question, is it possible to have the tagline listed on the landingpage.
    Like: sitename - tagline?
    I do not use the site description, but all blog have taglines.

• Rupok

Hi Bjorn, thanks for asking.

Glad to see that you already got your solution for your first issue.

Now, regarding your question about tagline, I'm not sure how you added taglines for your sites. In single WordPress installation, you can set tagline from "Dashboard > Settings > General" section, but for subsites in a multisite, you can set "Blogdescription" from "Dashboard > My Sites > Network Admin > Sites > Edit > Settings" section but I'm not sure how you can set tagline for sites. You specifically mentioned that you don't use the site description, but if you used that, you could show that without any tweaking or customization because Site Categories plugin has native option for that. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

Please let us know how you added those taglines for subsites. That will give us some valuable insight.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Bjorn

I use a WPMUdev plugin (set blog description) to let the users enter the tagline text on blog signup.

I'm not sure how you can set tagline for sites

- sites and blog are the same thing as far as I know...

I am looking for a way to include the tagline/site description in the code, not in the dashboard settings.

On my user accont page I use the following code to show both title and tagline/description in a blog list:

if(is_user_logged_in()) {
    	global $current_user;
    	$blogs = get_blogs_of_user( $current_user->id );
    	if($blogs) {
    		foreach ( $blogs as $blog ) {
    			$blog_description = get_blog_option( $blog->userblog_id, 'blogdescription' );
    			echo '<li><a href="http://' . $blog->domain . $blog->path .'">'.$blog->blogname.' - '.$blog_description.'</a></li>';
    		}
      }
    }

Is it possible to modify the plugin code to include tagline/site description after the blog tile in the landing page listing?

The reason I don't want to use site category plugin description is that it can only be used on the landing page, while tagline can be used on the individual blogs and user accounts.
    + there is a bug og some problems that makes the description disappear on the landing page..

• Rupok

Hi Bjorn,

I'm sorry for the confusion. Actually "Blogdescription" and "tagline" are same thing, just naming is different. I've cross checked and you can actually set "Blogdescription" for your subsites too, from respective Dashboards, and it will update the tagline for each site. So it's the same with different naming.

Now as you mentioned, you used "set blog description" plugin to provide users the ability to write custom blogdescription/tagline for subsite signup, you can do the same with "Site Categories" plugin. In Site Categories settings, there is an option "Description is Required" under "New Site Signup Form Option" section. If you set that to "Yes", then your users will get an option to write their own custom blogdescription/tagline for the subsite they are signing up. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

I am looking for a way to include the tagline/site description in the code... ... ... Is it possible to modify the plugin code to include tagline/site description after the blog tile in the landing page listing?

Maybe I could not make you understand, I do apologize for that. As I said above, in plugin settings, there is an option to enable showing description after the blog title in the landing page listing. Please go to plugin settings page > Landing Page Sites Display Options section and there you will find an option "Show Site Description". Set that to yes, and it will show blog description/tagline after the blog title in the landing page listing. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

I did the same on my test site and it's perfectly showing the blog description under the blog title in listing page. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

If you did all the same I suggested above, and it's still not showing your site descriptions under blog titles in the listing page, can you please do a plugin conflict test just to make sure no other plugin is causing this? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this guide: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Bjorn

I've cross checked and you can actually set "Blogdescription" for your subsites too, from respective Dashboards, and it will update the tagline for each site.

I do not want the users to write the description/tagline twice. Also I do not allow users in the dashboard. That is why I want ti use the tagline plugin, and not the description in site categories. What I am looking for is the code where the landing page listing is generated. I want to modify the code to include the site tagline.

• Rupok

Hi Bjorn,

What I am looking for is the code where the landing page listing is generated

You will get that code on this file: "/wp-content/plugins/site-categories/lib/display_templates/display_list_category_sites.php" line 33. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

Please let us know if you have any confusion or any further inquiry. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Bjorn

I see that the site description in the code is a custom made by the plugin:$bact_site_description
    the wordpress default code for site desription is:$site_description
    I have tried to add the following to show the tagline: $site_description = get_bloginfo( 'description' ); , but the taglines will not show. I am not experienced enough in php to fin the right way to include the code.. Is there any chance the plugin developer could look at how to include the code?
    I think it would have been a nice feature to include in a update of the plugin, to let users choose the default Wordpress tagline, or a tagline set by the plugin..

• Rupok

Hi Bjorn,

Please open file "/wp-content/plugins/site-categories/lib/display_templates/display_list_category_sites.php" and go to line: 41 . There you will find these two lines:

$bact_site_description = wpautop(stripslashes($site->bact_site_description));
    					$bact_site_description = str_replace(']]>', ']]>', $bact_site_description);

Replace those two lines with following:

$bact_site_description = get_blog_option( $site->blog_id, 'blogdescription' );
    					// $bact_site_description = str_replace(']]>', ']]>', $bact_site_description);

It will show your subsite tagline under the title and serve your purpose. I've checked this and working in my instance. Please let us know if it doesn't work for you. We will be glad to assist further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Bjorn,

This is weird. This hack is showing tagline under each site title in the listing page on my test multisite. Can you send me message with FTP access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ so I can try to fix this on your site? Please take a full backup before you send FTP Credentials so we can always revert back to current state if anything goes wrong.

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - FTP Username
    - FTP Password
    - FTP Host
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select "I have a different question" for your topic. This and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Bjorn,

I'm confirming that I've not working on the site now. I really do apologize for the delay. I've your site credentials in my queue and I was going to work on it in couple of hours from now and try to make that tagline work. For checking, I went to your site now and the login page was loaded in my browser without any issue. Can you please try again? If still getting downtime, can you please try from another network? I'm getting the site up.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Bjorn,

Your FTP Credentials are working but to test the config, I need to login with Support Access. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting. I'll jump in as soon as you confirm.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Bjorn,

I changed code a little, so it looks like that now

if (($args['show_description'] == true) ) {
    					//echo "here<br />";
    					$bact_site_description = get_blog_option( $site->blog_id, 'blogdescription' );
    					// $bact_site_description = str_replace(']]>', ']]>', $bact_site_description);

if (strlen($bact_site_description)) {
    						$content .= '<div class="site-category-site-description">'. $bact_site_description .'</div>';
    					}
    				}

and now tagline is showing on site list. Please check and confirm that this is what you need.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.