Re-linking broken memberships after multiple recurring payments

Hi,

I've run into a scenario a couple of times now using PayPal as a gateway on recurring monthly payments where a user will sign up for a subscription, and then do it again before their next bill date. So what we end up with is two recurring events. Canceling one or the other cancel's their subscription and I don't know if there's a way to link everything back up.

I see a recurring subscription on PayPal but a cancelled subscription on my site. I played with billing for a while, adding new and paid invoices, but can't seem to figure out if there is even any way to do this.

Any help is appreciated. Support access is open. One particular user is knoke77.

Thanks,
Tim

• Patrick

Hi there @Timothy

I hope you're having a great day!

I just logged into your site and see that you do indeed have the Multiple Memberships addon enabled.

Are you saying that your users have been able to subscribe to the same membership more than once during the same billing period? Or are they subscribing to different memberships?

If they are able to subscribe to the same one during an active billing period, then that sounds like a bug, because they are effectively billing themselves twice for the same thing. Not good.

• Timothy

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the response. Same membership. From what I can gather, when a user is "billed" for the next month, if they view their invoice they are able to pay (even though it would auto-recur). So a user will pay before the system has a chance to auto-recur with PayPal, creating yet another recurring subscription. I've had it happen with ~3 users from what I can tell. Seems to be what's happening.

The workaround I've been utilizing is just giving the user a yearly membership, because their monthly membership, which is now "broken" as I stated originally, is still charging them every month, I just have no way to re-link with Membership2. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Tim

• Sajid

Hi @Tim

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

The workaround I've been utilizing is just giving the user a yearly membership, because their monthly membership, which is now "broken" as I stated originally, is still charging them every month, I just have no way to re-link with Membership2. Let me know your thoughts.

I can see the member still have active subscription of Loudpedal.tv Monthly Membership.

Does the member is still being charged when you removed it from Loudpedal.tv Monthly Membership ?

Also your IPN settings are correct and IPN URL is configured correctly ?

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Timothy

Hey Sajid,

Thanks for the response. The member I mentioned, Knoke77 does not have an active Monthly Membership subscription on my end. It shows cancelled because I terminated one of the duplicate recurring payments in PayPal. I can't 100% confirm that the user will be charged on the remaining recurring record, but I'm almost sure of it. I'm looking to relink the two.

On my site, if a user traditionally "cancels" their subscription everything is fine on PayPals end. Should I be looking for anything specific in my IPN settings? The URL is configured correctly.

Thanks,
    Tim

• Sajid

Hi @Timothy

If you cancelled it from PayPal then remove (if you planned to use yearly membership instead) it from this membership also on WordPress. Membership will assume it as an active membership and may charge the member and will create a new profile on PayPal.

Not any specific settings, it should be on PayPal settings.

Let us know if its again charging duplicated for one recurring membership.

Cheers, Sajid

• Timothy

I think you make some good points, but my problem is the USER actually paid twice and created two recurring memberships themselves. I'll try and break down what I think happened...

- User signs up 5/1, next recur is 6/1
    - User is charged on 6/1, next recur would be 7/1, but the user either doesn't realize they have been charged on 6/1, or whatever, and actually MANUALLY pay's 7/1's invoice on 6/6
    - Membership2 now shows that next payment is due on 7/6, because invoice was paid on 6/6
    - Two recurring records are now active in PayPal, with next payments for 7/1 and 7/6
    - I cancel the recurring record for the 1st, because Membership2 is making it clear that the 6th is the record it is now listening to
    - The membership shows that it is now cancelled, but I still have the recurring record for the 6th active

All of this is just talk, as I'm trying to relink that remaining recurring record with that user and Membership2, that is my goal and my question, I don't know how to do that.

I hope I'm making some sense.
    Tim

• Sajid

Hi @Timothy

my problem is the USER actually paid twice and created two recurring memberships themselves.

This is a serious problem, but I am not sure how your member paid one invoice twice. I mean I tried to reproduce this issue on my sandbox site but I could not make. If I am subscriber of a recurring membership, then on /account page I can see the option change (see screenshot one).

If I click on change button I am taken to the registration page where I can see memberships listed there, but I can not see any button to pay or subscribe again or even renew button that should be there when membership expired. I can see only a cancel button (see screenshot two).

Then I checked my invoices from Account > Invoices, still unable to see any pay again or pay now button on this page or even in invoicing email I revived after subscription (see screenshot three).

Can you please provide steps how I can reproduce this on my sandbox site so I can report the developer and mark it as confirmed bug.

All of this is just talk, as I'm trying to relink that remaining recurring record with that user and Membership2, that is my goal and my question, I don't know how to do that.
    Yes membership will remember the date when member has subscribed to each recurring membership and add that into the billing cycle on PayPal.

1. Now cancel their profiles on PayPal so they do not get charged on next billing cycle.
    2. Remove them from membership manually (to cancel existing subscription) from Membership 2 > Members
    3. Then manually add this member into that recurring membership (the one we removed him in previous step) again.
    4. From Membership 2 > Add-ons enable Additional Automated Messages.
    5. After enabling the add-on go to Membership 2 > Settings > Automated Email Responses and enable Subscription Expired email message (see screenshot number four).
    6. They will receive an email when their subscription expired.
    7. Now they can renew it from accounts page AFTER expiration of their current membership subscription.
    8. This will create new billing cycle by adding them in recurring membership.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Feel free to post a reply if you need further support.

Cheers, Sajid

• Timothy

Okay, I appreciate the above info Sajid. I just wish I could give you a better idea of my issue. If all I can do is deactivate and have the user manually re-subscribe, then so be it. But there should really be a way to relink these two manually. We have an expired membership, but a recorded payment. Today it happened on stripe with user. He paid but his membership still shows expired on 7-06. He tried once on 7-31 and once on 8-1 to pay. His username is steve_g. Can anyone help me???? I'm beginning to think not...

Tim

• Sajid

Hi @Timothy

I am sorry for the inconvinence but this is the only way to link a member with membership again for now.

I will reassign the members the membership on your dashboard. Please post the name of those members here and extend the support access.

However you have to delete their existing PayPal profile your self from PayPal.

Cheers, Sajid

• Timothy

Okay, I'm freaking out a bit. I can't get away from the overwhelming number of issues with this plugin. Please advise. On my Stripe gateway, for some reason the monthly plan seems to deleting and recreating itself every other week. Users are still getting charged with the associated DELETED plan, but it is not associating on Membership2. I've included some screenshots.

With 1.0.1.0 t is now easier to extend membership manually, I just did that for a user whose membership expired but I can see payment in stripe (wetzel). The other screenshots are of expired memberships but I see payment!! This might go back to a previous unresolved issue where users were being charged $9.94 instead of $9.95. I'm terrified that this is going to be a daily problem with 100+ recurring monthly charges coming up. Please, please help!

The only shred of good news, I guess, is that even though the stripe subscription is deleting and recreating itself, it's keeping the same subscription ID, so I can't imagine why there are issues with linking Membership2.

Thanks,
    Tim

• Sajid

Hi @Timothy

With the new update now, it looks like I can maybe fake it?

You can now manually extend each membership membership and set its date manually when it will be expired.

When I tried to change the monthly membership under subscription details, I received the error below...

Yes! I can saw this error on your website but I am unable to reproduce this on my test site with latest version. It must be a plugin/theme conflict with M2 1.0.1.0. It can be ruled out by deactivating your other active plugins & theme and activating them back one by one as illustrated in getting support manaul (flowchart) I avoided to do this on your live website. Please run a quick plugin conflict test and let me know if you are still getting this error.

I just did that for a user whose membership expired but I can see payment in stripe (wetzel). The other screenshots are of expired memberships but I see payment!!

I just created a test member subscription using stripe sandbox and then cancelled it membership from "Subscription Details" its valid untill 8/5/15 (Tomorrow) on my test/sandbox site. I will report here if its keep charging the membership after membership expired. I also sent offline message to developer regarding this issue and will provide more information when I get some feedback.

This might go back to a previous unresolved issue where users were being charged $9.94 instead of $9.95. I'm terrified that this is going to be a daily problem with 100+ recurring monthly charges coming up.

I can see you already have this problem before in following thread where @Anang helped you by providing a patch. Please do those changes again and it will be fixed. Also this change will be added in next version of this plugin so you should not do it each time after updating M2.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/stripe-membership-recurring-wrong-payment-amount

Cheers, Sajid

• Philipp Stracker

Hi, just dropping in for some quick notes:

*) The bug from this thread is already fixed in version 1.0.1.0 and will not happen to new subscriptions:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/stripe-membership-recurring-wrong-payment-amount
    HOWEVER it will not magically fix your existing subscriptions that were made with 9.94 - for a workaround see the last post in the mentioned thread (the link to stripe docs)

*) I have checked the transaction logs and invoice details on your site. You are right, the user "wetzel" has only one registered payment from a stripe-subscription. I cannot quite explain how the second payment was made (there is no duplicate invoice and also the transaction log did not receive an incoming payment)
    Can you check if you have an error.log file on your server? It might include additional information in case there was a basic error during payment.

*) Stripe plans are deleted/recreated when you modify some details in M2 plugin. This happens, because stripe does not allow to update existing plans - so this is the only option to push the changed details to stripe. As you mentioned: All existing subscribers will stay in the plan that they originally subscribed to, just by deleting the old plan it makes it impossible to subscribe to it again - new subscribers will get the new/current plan instead.
    This is linked a bit with the first point above: When a user subscribed to the plan with 9.94 he will stick with that plan, even when that plan is deleted and created again with the correct price.

You mentioned an overwhelming amount of issues - are there any issues left, besides the ones in your last post (which means the only thing to check is what happened to the second payment) - or are there more issues?

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the plugin a bit better :wink: Philipp

• Timothy

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for your response.

The user wetzel is on a subscription and is being charged monthly, you're right can't say why there is no evidence of it on the site. I've looked for an error.log but can't locate, waiting on my admin to see if there is anything there...

Glad to know that Stripe is supposed to be deleting and creating subscription plans! It just scared me when I saw it.

We'll see if the new update fixes my other issues. I get support emails every 1-2 days from users with wrongly expired memberships. Luckily with the new option to grant active memberships, this has become less of a headache, so thanks for that! I do run into the issue where the end date is in the future, membership shows expired, and when I move from expired to active it doesn't work, it just stays expired. But we'll see if the update helps me here. I've included some screenshots. As you'll see the user has a yearly membership (and it expires in 2017, for somer reason), & it shows expired. It won't let me move it to active, the page just refreshes and goes back to expired. So I just gave the user an admin yearly membership....

Thanks,
    Tim

• Sajid

Hi @Tim

For stripe issue, I have noticed similar issue and going to mark it as confirmed bug. I also notified Philipp directly and he will be looking into this issue soon. For now you have to delete the subscriptions from stripe manually.

The expired issue was a bug in old version that is no fixed in 1.0.1.0 and 1.0.1.1. Do you getting this issue after updating to 1.0.1.1 ?

Cheers, Sajid

• Philipp Stracker

Btw, I just read your first request to link a "rogue" subscription payment to an existing M2 subscription:
    This can be done, though you currently need to link every pament manually. Possibly we change this soon so the plugin learns which payments should be linked to which subscriptions.

Just visit your "Membership 2 > Billings" page. In the top you possibly see the note that there are X payments with error status. Click the link on the notification to see the failed payments (If you don't see this message then all payments were correctly linked with an existing subscription)
    Once you have a list of error transacation you have to individually evaluate each item by checking the available details. If you hover over an item you find 2 actions on the right side: "Ignore" and "Link"
    Ignore will mark the transaction as irrelevant. It means you reviewed it and do not want to take an action.
    Link allows you to pick a member/subscription/invoice that the payment should be linked to. As an effect an unpaid invoice will be marked as paid (this also happens if the transaction amount is different than the invoice amount!)

Besides this: I also filed a bug-report about users being able to make double subscriptions. So we will review this case and if possibly add a condition that prevents double subscriptions in the future.

I hope this info helps you to tame your double payments :wink: Philipp

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Timothy,

I hope you're well today and I apologize for such a long overdue. It's been a long time and hopefully the issue may have been solved for you with plugin updates but if it isn't could you please grant a support access for our developers? They asked if they could take another look.

Here's a guide on how to do this:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.