Re: Multi-domains plugin instruction not clear

Hi Admin

Just wanted to point out something that are missed out in the instruction for Multi-Domains plugin.

I was following the instruction, and no matter how accurately I follow the instruction, it still has errors.

Later on I found out that oddly the wp-config.php preset is

define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, false);

I change it to true and everything works.

And also, I found out that if you are logged when you rewrite the wp-config.php file (with subdomain=true), you will be forever logged into wordpress and cannot be logged out.

So I think the instruction may want to include log out before changing the wp-config.php file.

Regards

Bucgene

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Bucgene,

I looked for your question and below is what I have to say

By Default its set like that

You have to add the below to your wp-config file above the line reading /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

define( ‘MULTISITE’, true );

define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, true );

$base = ‘/’;

define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘www.freewebsitedesigningindia.com’ );

define( ‘PATH_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘/’ );

define( ‘SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );

define( ‘BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );

Make sure you use a text editor like editplus 3

This will help you, with color coding, to ensure that you have modified it correctly.

I hope it helps.

Cheers !

PC

• Bucgene
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi PC,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not really sure what are you trying to say, but my post is just to point out that there are some missing steps in the instruction, that I hope WPMUDEV admin can include them in the instructions to help future members like me.

BTW, I have already solved my problem by the time I made my first post.

Regards

Bucgene

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Bucgene,

Thank you for your feedback it is greatly appreciated.

The reason why this is not covered in this specific block of instructions if this setting is dealt with during the initial setup of WordPress and normally would not be changed otherwise.

The fact that this was set to default and not set to true appears to indicate that you missed this step during initial network configuration.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Just building on what Joe stated to provide some linkage to the codex and point out we do state in our documents that we don’t support sub folders. (updated recently)

It is only set to that, if thats how you set your multisite up.

Having false will use sub folder version of WordPress. Multi-domains does not support that as now noted in the documents:

Please Note: Multi-Domains is for sub domain installations only and will not work well for subdirectory installations.

So we wouldn’t include instructions on how to change your site from a sub folder to a sub domain install because they are not manual steps, they are how you set up and configure your website firstly.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Tools_Network_Screen

http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#Switching_network_types

http://codex.wordpress.org/Login_Trouble#Subdomains_or_Subdirectories

Thanks.

• Bucgene
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi all

Thanks for pointing out that.

I may have missed a few things, because I used Cpanel Softaculous to install my wordpress multisite. It does not have the option for subdomain installation.

Thanks again for pointing me to those setup documents (that I have missed).

Regards

• drivencompassion
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I used softaculous as well, did you reinstall w/o softaculous to resolve this issue?

If my install is on root of the domain, not sure how this is still a sub folder version of wordpress.

As @bucgene suggested to log off before making the config change, will that cause problems down the road? Is a non-softaculous install required to use multi-domain?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

If my install is on root of the domain, not sure how this is still a sub folder version of wordpress.

Sub domain version of Multisite:

site1.domain.com

site2.domain.com

Sub Folder version of Multisite:

domain.com/site1

domain.com/site2

I’m sorry but I don’t use Softaculous, so I’m not sure what they have done in the set up process.

You could convert your current install, but it might be easier for you to just reinstall. Depends on the amount of work you put in I suppose.

Take care.

• drivencompassion

When you say convert, do you mean simply changing wp-config.php preset from:

to

define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, true);

?

Or do you mean a complete re-installation and importing the old database into the new install with the correct config?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Its not just the config, its the DB as well.

When I say convert I mean moving its from a subfolder to a subdomain install.

You need wild card for that type of install as well.

I don’t think you have any sites in your install yet do you? If not then it should be much easier. Change the config, change your htaccess. I don’t think there is anything in the DB but you would need to check to be sure.

More useful information can be found here:

codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Take care.

• drivencompassion

Made changes in config and htaccess to put my primary domain1.com into subdomain mode. Now when I delete secondary domain2.com from multi-domain’s plugin and readd it, I get this error:

Warning! Wildcard DNS for domain2.com may not be configured correctly!

Unable to contact the random hostname (f5b2eb.domain2.com).

I added an A record to domain2.com for domain1.com’s dedicated IP, but do I also need to an another A record for Wildcard DNS somewhere?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.