re-orientation to 4.7.2

i have just had an upgrade to 4.7.2, after running a very old version into the ground. it seems most of the content has survived the shift but i'm having trouble re-orienting myself to the new environment. i'm using a default theme, which is ok for now, and have made some rudimentary changes to the template but have got stuck on being able to make changes via editing files. i used to be able to ftp new files but not sure know how to do it. i have been trying to sort things out via the forums but if their is a gentle soul willing to hold my hand and get me started i would be grateful. i have some basic experience with html, css and php but can pick stuff up pretty quickly. my site is merriaction.org cheers, david

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hi luis, thank you for your willingness to help me. you have confirmed very quickly what i thought was the issue - i do not have access to my site via ftp. at least i don't think i have. i'm unsure of how to do this as the site is being hosted by, i think, wpmudev as part of edublogs. i was able to ftp files back and forward in the previous release but am not sure how to do it again. many thanks, david

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

I have just talked to the team, and they informed you should be able to login in your cpanel via http://merriaction.org/cpanel (ignore SSL warning). After logging in to cpanel, there should be FTP option that you can use, reset or even create a new one.

Also, in cPanel you can use the file manager option, which is web interface of FTP feature where you can upload/download/modify file directly into server.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

thanks ash, i don't seem to be having much luck here. i tried accessing cpanel, (ignoring ssl warning) and initially it froze my access. i tried again and would not accept any login/passwords i tried (from site login to previous ftp login). now trying again and merriaction.org/cpanel is simply timing out. assuming i can get access i am not sure what my login/password might be or who can let me know. are you able to help me? many thanks, david

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

thanks ash, you are being very patient.

i have tried with latest versions of chrome (my main browser), firefox and safari, and result is the same: time out for site, and timeout for cpanel (although i have reached this page previously but could not log in).

using merriaction.org and merriaction.org:2083

seems to disappeared from the face of the web.

other sites working ok on these browsers. no problem with network or isp.

where to now?

cheers, david

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello David

I have just checked your site and your site is working fine in my end. Screenshot below:

I still think, the issue could be with ISP. Do you have any 3g connection? If so, would you please try with that? If not, you can try a chrome extension called Zenmate which will give you a different IP, and after enabling that addon please try again.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a good day!

Cheers
    Ash

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

thanks ash, you are right. it's very strange. works on my 4g phone (with wifi off). it also gets me to cpanel but i cannot login - it says my login (using my site or wpmudev logins/passwords) is invalid. i'm not sure i have one. so, two problems:

1. why would my isp be blocking this site? all others are working fine. how do i deal with this?
    2. how do i find out my login/password to cpanel?

we are getting close. thanks again for walking me through this.

cheers, david

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello David

#1. This is mainly IPS cache issue, you need to contact your ISP provider. If there is no problem from their end, then you may need to contact the domain provider (where you set the nameserver), they may need to refresh DNS cache.

#2. I have talked to that hosting team, they reset your password. I have sent an email to your registered email address mer********@gmail.com. Please let me know you get the mail and if you can login.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hi ash, i still seem to be learning this support communication. i just sent a reply and seems to have disappeared. at the risk of duplication, here it is again:

thanks so much for your advice, it was good advice. i contacted my isp yesterday and after much testing he found out that my ip number had been blocked. not sure why. simple re-boot with dynamic ip and all fixed. both merriaction.org and merriaction:2083 working.

got your email and logged in and changed login and password, then logged in. whoopee! i have feel like i have landed in another, vaguely remembered country. but will explore and begin playing. may need to call again for advice.

so thanks so much for your patience and help. what a great support group this is. really appreciated ash. will try and earn some points so i can give you some.

cheers, david

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.