RE: WPMUDEV Dashboard Plugin

A new top level menu item with multiple subs? Two new dashboard widgets full of WPMUDEV info with a blueberry header? Really?

What’s next, a forced pair of clicks through a WPMUDEV sales pitch to access the WP admin panel?

Color me a blueberry shade of very unhappy right now.

Frankly, I think this stinks.

• NetPotion
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Well I apparently found a bug. This post was submitted several times in IE9 but never showed that it was successful so I resubmitted. I was having all kinds of problems in IE9.

I can’t delete the duplicate posts so I’ll have to leave that up to you folks. Sorry about that.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

As to your original post we are still toying with how everything will work.

Our goal is to make things as easy as possible for users here. For those that are using our products to build/maintain their own site – the new plugins is a breath of fresh air.

I can see how this does make things more difficult when you are using them as a developer for other sites though. We’re looking into ways to define it’s presence (everything from the sidebar menu to the installation/updates bits) to a username.

Doing this, you could safely hand over to your clients and leave everything in tact for your username only – that way, you can always come back later, but your clients won’t get distracted/confused by any of it.

Does that sound better? We have 2 very different types of users here at WPMU DEV and we’re working towards finding the best solution for both of them.

Thanks!

• NetPotion

Perhaps a whitelist would work?

You have used such a function for the WPMUDEV videos, so I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be possible to do the same thing with the updates plugin. (?)

I’m not sure if that would address the concerns WPMUDEV seems to have or not.

I’m glad to hear it’s being worked on – but it’s going to cost me time since I don’t want all of that nonsense showing up in my clients dashboard. I really wish we would have received a warning of the major changes you’ve done in advance. Now I’m going to think twice about updating any WPMUDEV plugin unless I’ve tried it out on one of my own sites first.

Trust is important. This one really damaged my trust in WPMUDEV & you should know by now that I’ve been a big fan of yours.

I suppose you figured the benefits were bigger than the collateral damage. I just don’t like feeling like collateral damage very much.

Thanks for responding. : )

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya NetPotion,

I’d note that the plugin will only work it’s contents to users who also previously had seen it (admins or super admins)

So while there are new widgets and menus, it would only be available to those who already had access to WPMU DEV Updates.

We posted a preview of this plugin a few months ago when it went into beta and also announced it in the forum post that’s a sticky at the top of the forum.

Maybe we could have done more to explain what was happening, but the feedback thus far has been overwhelmingly positive. I’d say always think twice before upgrading anything!

I always read the changelog and install updates on a staging environment before doing it on a live site. That’s best practice – anybody could release a plugin with an error – heck, WordPress itself has a bug or two in their releases on occasion. Testing any modification to a client site in a test area is the best practice, regardless of where it comes from.

That being said, we most definitely do not consider any “collateral damage” as acceptable. There was no motivation to push something onto anybody and you can always roll back to the previous version if the current one is unacceptable.

We have some revisions coming to the plugin that should make things work more to your liking here (still, I’d test it first – even on a locally hosted install).

Anyway, I do apologize that this caught you by surprise. That was not our intention in the slightest and it sucks that it happened. As I stated, we’ll find ways to make it more clear to define which users and sites this information is available to.

Thanks!

• NetPotion

I gotta say, for my own (personal) websites…. I love the new plugin. My beef is only when it will be used for client sites.

The plugin browser is nice. It does need some sorting/pagination though.

Overall, good job. A bit short sighted in ways, but I’m sure you great folks will get it all sorted out. ; )

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya NetPotion,

Look for the following in the (coming very soon) release changelog for the Dashboard Plugin:

– Limit Dashboard plugin to first admin user by default, and actually hide from all others

– Ability to use define(“WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER”, “1, 10”:wink:; to limit the entire plugin to certain admin users

Hopefully, this will greatly decrease any pain you or your clients will experience from here on out :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.