Read instructions and manual, still can't figure out how

Read instructions and manual, still can't figure out how to make/or activate templates for my clients to choose.
Please advise.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

You didn't include any screenshots of your settings, or mention what you'd tried so far so please forgive me if you've covered this already.

In the network area:

Admin --> Network ---> Blog Template

In there you can enabled the check box to let new users select between templates "Selecting this option will allow your new users to choose between templates when they sign up for a site."

You can then choose how you want them displayed. See screenshot.

These display on the signup form.

Take care.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @Linda

I've closed the other support tickets that you had created for this same issue so we can continue helping you on this original one.

Judging by another post you made earlier today, I believe you are simply looking for a bit of guidance on how to create template sites for your users when they want to create a site in your network, correct?

For that, you can use any theme(s) you like for the sites you will be using as templates in your network. However, I would recommend not using Artisteer to create them as that tool has a reputation of causing multiple issues with WordPress.

Regardless of the WordPress theme(s) you are using on your sites, when creating a template using New Blog Templates, all you really need to do is first create a subsite in your network that will be used only as a template for other sites.

Activate any theme you like on that site and activate & configure whatever else you need on it: plugins, menus, etc.

Then, in New Blog Templates, go to create a new template. There, simply enter the name you want your template to be called.

Then, in the next field, start entering the name of the site you want to use as the template. As you are typing, a dropdown will automatically with site names that match what you are typing so you can select the site you want as a template. Then click save.

On the next screen, you can select exactly what elements you want to be included in the template. When you're done, save those settings. You now have a brand new template that, when selected by you or a user whie creating a site, will automatically activate the same theme as on your template site, and activate all the other features you had included when creating the template.

Please do let us now where exactly you are having difficulty, and we'll try to guide you through each step as you go.

Also, please do have a read through our guide on getting support to make your job - and ours :slight_smile: - as enjoyable as we can:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

Thanks!

• Linda
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the detailed directions. I followed them and used the manual for setting up a site in Network Admin. When I go to view site i get a 500 error code. Do you know where I should be looking to see where I went wrong? Okay got it to work.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Good morning @Linda

I hope you're having a great day!

Evidently, the theme stylesheet is either not being found, or something is interfering to prevent it from loading. That can be due to any number of reasons, too numerous to list.

So let's see if we can get you up and running properly, shall we?

Please grant support access in your WPMU DEV Dashboard on the Support screen as seen in the screenshot below. I'll pop into your site to see if I can figure out what went wrong. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.