Reader - Follow button, Reader Widget, and Buddypress

Hello!
In order to implement the following of SITES in my buddypress/multisite installation, I installed both POST INDEXER and READER. I've been playing with it, and now I have a few questions:
1) FOLLOW BUTTON SHORTCODE
In a previous thread ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/reader-feed-post-image-follow-button-frontend-display ) code for creating a follow button shortcode was given. I've implemented this on my dev site, and thus far it works... just ok. However, there are two things I want to change about how it works but I'm missing information:

A) Clicking this follow button redirects me to my dashboard/reader which is something I don't want it to do at all. Is there a way to stop the redirect?

B) I want to be able to change the text from FOLLOW to FOLLOWING if the user is following the site, but I don't know what variables I need to check for.
Ultimately I'd like the follow button to function just like the one in the Wordpress admin bar, but I'd settle for being able to fix the above two things.

2-A) The reader looks great and I really like it overall... but buddypress is implemented on my site and it already has the activity feed which has a lot of the same functionality as Reader does. I'd love to be able to replace buddypress activity with the Reader, or at least find a way to make them both play nice with each other. Having TWO feeds is just... a really bad idea overall.

2-B) I also had an idea to keep the buddypress activity feed, remove the site data, and then add the READER WIDGET to a side bar on that page and have that ONLY display site updates. That'd be a nice compromise for me and somewhat justify duplicate functionality.
Are either of these things possible to do? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much!

• Sajid

Hi Chloe,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

A) Clicking this follow button redirects me to my dashboard/reader which is something I don't want it to do at all. Is there a way to stop the redirect?

That shortcode is just a workaround and basically using the core functionality of the reader plugin. Since reader handles all request in backend so its not possible to make it frontend only. This means we have to rewrite the reader plugin to change its functionality.

B) I want to be able to change the text from FOLLOW to FOLLOWING if the user is following the site, but I don't know what variables I need to check for.
    Ultimately I'd like the follow button to function just like the one in the Wordpress admin bar, but I'd settle for being able to fix the above two things.

Same with this one, that is a not part of the plugin so we don't have any conditional tag in hand to check whether someone is following or not.

2-A) The reader looks great and I really like it overall... but buddypress is implemented on my site and it already has the activity feed which has a lot of the same functionality as Reader does. I'd love to be able to replace buddypress activity with the Reader, or at least find a way to make them both play nice with each other. Having TWO feeds is just... a really bad idea overall.

Yes, that is bad idea so what you can do is deactivate reader plugin or disable the activity feed component from Settings -> BuddyPress -> Activity Streams.

If you need to further extend the plugin then perhaps you might consider hiring the developer from jobs board to customize it according to your requirements.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.