Really Annoyed doesn't support Single Site

Only after installing this plugin did I read somewhere that it's not single site compatible.

Look... I'm getting very frustrated here. I'm finding that nearly every plugin of yours that I install does not work on a single site. Now, I realise that your name is WPMU - which suggests a focus on MU - but it isn't a 'given' that plugins designed with MU in mind won't be single-site compatible.

I am beginning to feel as if your marketing materials are misleading. That you are encouraging people (like myself) to sign up to a membership package, only to discover after-the-fact that half the things that they are interested in won't work as advertised.

I feel this way because your plugin descriptions lack critical information.

I would sincerely suggest that you create a "not compatible with" tag alongside your "compatible" tag in the plugin intro & usage pages. That way, people can clearly see what isn't going to work before they sign up for a membership.

For example:
Google Custom Search Plugin "not compatible with: any other search plugin"
Global Site Search Plugin: "not compatible with buddy press activity or Group Forums postings; compatible with standard wp posts only."
Avatars Plugin "not compatible with single site installations"...

This is just the beginning of my list... I am starting to get annoyed because nearly every plugin of yours I want to use has some huge, glaring omission from your marketing materials so that I find this out only after-the-fact.

Better still, why don't you have a checklist for EACH and EVERY plugin that says exactly what it IS and ISN'T compatible with in regards to:
Single Site vs Multi-Site
Buddypress
bbPress

And - while I'm on the topic - it's not good enough to say 'compatible' with Buddypress when it doesn't actually work with Buddypress. In other words, you often use this 'compatible' term to mean that it won't break when in the presence of Buddypress. That's very difficult from 'works with' or 'integrates with' Buddypress.

Sorry for the rant but I really think that your plugin descriptions are seriously lacking in useful technical details. I have spent days installing plugins of yours only to discover that they don't work in my environment. I say 'days' because your documentation is lacking and I often have to search your support forums until I find some unfortunate soul like myself who has encountered the same trouble.

• Mark Wallace

Hello seamsite
    I noticed you said
    "I'm finding that nearly every plugin of yours that I install does not work on a single site."
    But i only see the "Avatars" listed in your complaint. I looked and noticed that it is clearly stated below the download button to the left of the Details and Usage tabs. Unfortunately in this got to have it now generation, people choose to download something, then ask questions that are clearly stated in documentation. Then very quickly blame others for their lack of foresight. Please take time to read everything you can before downloading something. This type of carelessness is costing valuable staff time in resolving real issues. So please just read before you download, and your experience here at WPMU Dev will be much more enjoyable.
    Here I took the time to find an article for you. Its on how to make avatar and gravatars. I hope it helps you. I look forward to seeing you in the forums seamsite! Have a good day/night
    http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/adding-avatars-and-gravatars-to-your-wordpress-and-wordpresscom-blog/

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there, thanks for getting in touch.

Each and everyone of our project pages does show what they are compatible with. Screenshot attached.

You don't need to be a subscription member to see any of that information.

In that list we cover BP, WP and Multisite.

We don't have a not compatible list because there are many thousands of plugins out there, testing with them all and then listing them for each plugin wouldn't be practical. Sorry.

Google Custom Search Plugin "not compatible with: any other search plugin"

This plugin is a replacement for the default WordPress search, so that you can use Google to search your site.

Because of its purpose it take precedence over the default search thus replacing it.

Global Site Search Plugin: "not compatible with buddy press activity or

Our Global Search plugin does clearly state on the page:

This plugin utilizes our powerful post indexer plugin to provide you with full indexing of all the posts, from across all blogs, that you can then simply search through.

All you have to do is install the Global Search plugin (make sure Post indexer is installed) and it should auto create a page called “Site Search” for you where anyone can search through all your blogs.

As you can see it covers the Post Type of WordPress.

Group Forums postings; compatible with standard wp posts only."

I'm not sure which one you refer to here? Are we talking about BP Group forums?

Avatars Plugin "not compatible with single site installations"...

As I mentioned before that we don't show compatibility with single site there?

And - while I'm on the topic - it's not good enough to say 'compatible' with Buddypress when it doesn't actually work with Buddypress. In other words, you often use this 'compatible' term to mean that it won't break when in the presence of Buddypress. That's very difficult from 'works with' or 'integrates with' Buddypress.

Exactly we don't claim it integrates with, the compatibility shows whether it will work with it, hence compatibility. Avatars doesn't show compatibility because it won't work along side it.

When there is integration with it is usually stated in the project text or on the usage page.

Sorry for the rant but I really think that your plugin descriptions are seriously lacking in useful technical details. I have spent days installing plugins of yours only to discover that they don't work in my environment. I say 'days' because your documentation is lacking and I often have to search your support forums until I find some unfortunate soul like myself who has encountered the same trouble.

We are working on all of our documents to improve those. a fair few have already been updated but others do require more work.

Plugins like Membership recently gained a 60 page manual for example.

I do really like the idea of have a Integrates with option, that would be awesome to show when plugins integrate with BuddyPress and which integrate with other plugins as well. Thats an awesome idea, thanks! :slight_smile:

Take care.

• seamsite

Dear MTB1701,
    The "Avatars" plugin does NOT clearly state that it is incompatible with Single Site installations. Below the 'Download' button, it merely states that it is MultiSite compatible. This isn't the same thing. Most plugins out in the Wordpress universe are Single Site as standard, MultiSite as an exception. Therefore, this plugin is an EXCEPTION to that rule.

At the end of the day, my point is that the documentation and tech specs of each of these plugins is very lacking. Having comprehensive documentation, help files, etc - is time-consuming - to be sure. But it prevents a lot of careless downloads and annoyed customer support posts like my own. In fact, I've come across a number of very good plugin developers lately who have good tech support documents, how-to videos and the like (take a look at S2Member, for example). This is extremely helpful and keeps me OFF of their support forums (which is what I prefer, too).

My suggestion is to have a standard set of tick-boxes listing the following:
    Single-Site Compatible
    Multi-Site Compatible
    Buddypress Compatible
    bbPress Compatible

These are all present and either 'ticked' or un-ticked.

That's a good start. Then, there can be special installation notes at the bottom of each and every plugin that qualifies what 'compatible' actually means. So, for the plugins that I have tried so far they might be:

Google Custom Search: replaces built-in search functions of Wordpress, so is incompatible with any other search plugin.

Global Site Search: will NOT search any non-post or page content in wordpress database. This includes (but is not limited to): bbPress forums, Buddypress Activity, or Buddypress Group forums.

Does this make sense?

• Mark Wallace

Hello seamsite!
    I think this is a good idea.

***My suggestion is to have a standard set of tick-boxes listing the following:***
    Single-Site Compatible
    Multi-Site Compatible
    Buddypress Compatible
    bbPress Compatible

It would surprise me if they didn’t change this. But it does take time.

*****(take a look at S2Member, for example). ******
    That one did not work out for me, I'm not going to talk down on it because i was very new to wp then.

I will tell you something i learned a long time ago. The only way to get the perfect software in any situation is to learn how to code, or pay big bucks. Until then we have to find a way to work with what is available, and that’s not just here, but web design as a whole. I have been looking for a place to learn php for this. I studied HTML in 1998, but it’s not enough for website today. What you can do is start a group to meet and talk about code, and hope that someone who knows how to code will attend. Then you can start learning how to tweak plugin to your liking. Or you can play the system; WPMU Dev designs plugins by a majority vote. So either get people to vote for what you want, or recruit people to join WPMU Dev and over power the vote. :slight_smile: Thank seamsite! Been a pleasure! Ohh get your idea about the compatible up for a vote, I bet people will join in. :wink:

• seamsite

kyleb,

Your suggestion is a clever one. I hadn't thought of that. Still, I'm a little loathe to install multisite when I don't absolutely need it - as there seem to be many SingleSite plugins that fail to work in a MU set-up (Google XML Sitemap, for example).

MTB1701,

This isn't the forum to discuss S2Member, I know, but I'd love to find out what you thought of it - or, rather, why you didn't like it. Is there somewhere we can chat about this?

• Christina

I'm COMPLETELY with seamsite on this one. Particularly this part:

The "Avatars" plugin does NOT clearly state that it is incompatible with Single Site installations. Below the 'Download' button, it merely states that it is MultiSite compatible. This isn't the same thing. Most plugins out in the Wordpress universe are Single Site as standard, MultiSite as an exception. Therefore, this plugin is an EXCEPTION to that rule.

As a case study for your design team (since actual user testing must not figure into your site design processes), let me walk you through how I got here:

1. Look online for a reputable, premium plugin to upload user photos for my users without needing access to their email accounts, because many of my authors are 90-year-old nuns who don't understand Gravatar. (Not even kidding - spsmw.org).

2. Google brings me directly to the "Avatars" plugin page. Looks promising and trustworthy. Says compatible with multisite, that's fine, see no indication whatsoever that it wouldn't work with single sites. See "$19" as $19, not $19-a-month-unless-you-log-in-and-cancel.

3. Go to homepage to check out company. See "The best Wordpress, Multisite and BuddyPress plugins on the web." Assume you include single sites in that umbrella statement.

4. Purchase plugin, get frustrated when it's implied $19 is monthly. Have all kinds of questions, search around, have to dig into FAQs and community for answer. Learn you can cancel, but feel misled.

5. Install plugin, does nothing. Feel angry. Post question. See this thread. Fume a bit.

You really cannot expect people out and about on the internet to read every single page on your site and have a completely comprehensive view of your company and what you do or do not provide. A quick browsing through your community reveals a not insignificant number of people who feel fooled or misled by your marketing.

Perhaps instead of assuming that your potential clients are stupid if they can't figure out what exactly you're selling, you should look more closely at blatant copy&design issues on your website. A pretty website is worthless if it makes your users feel so stupid that they just wasted a non-profit's hard-earned money, for instance.

Now I have to slog around and figure out if I can get a refund. So disappointed.

• Timothy Bowers

2. Google brings me directly to the "Avatars" plugin page. Looks promising and trustworthy. Says compatible with multisite, that's fine, see no indication whatsoever that it wouldn't work with single sites. See "$19" as $19, not $19-a-month-unless-you-log-in-and-cancel.

You saw the compatibility and as it shown no compatibility with single site you still thought it might be?

I'm not trying to be funny so please forgive me if this comes off as that... I went to purchase a car many years ago, it shown on the screen Diesel but once I purchased it and the sign was taken out of the window I didn't then go and fill it with Petrol.

I purchased an electronic device which shown 3xAA I didn't then expect it to support AAA instead.

My point here is that they shown compatibility on those products so I would never assume it would be compatible with anything else. Just like I would never assume something would do what it isn't advertised to do.

4. Purchase plugin, get frustrated when it's implied $19 is monthly. Have all kinds of questions, search around, have to dig into FAQs and community for answer. Learn you can cancel, but feel misled.

I presume you mean you didn't think it was a subscription based service?

Because it's marked we're a membership throughout the site, in the emails you receive as you sign up and in the receipt.

From the front of our site for example before you signup:

Some frequently asked questions...

Do I need a subscription to use WPMU DEV plugins and themes?
    No, you don't! You can cancel your membership and use our plugins and themes for as long as you like, no subscription required! Ongoing memberships are only required for support, upgrades, new releases, security updates, videos and the anti splog API.

You can of course always use the contact form to just get in touch with any presales, that way no reading of pages are needed.

You really cannot expect people out and about on the internet to read every single page on your site and have a completely comprehensive view of your company and what you do or do not provide. A quick browsing through your community reveals a not insignificant number of people who feel fooled or misled by your marketing.

I started here as a member, and saw right off the bat what this service is. I had a question about MarketPress and contacted sales here, got my answer signed up and the rest is history. I think that's why I fail to understand the issue fully.

Perhaps instead of assuming that your potential clients are stupid if they can't figure out what exactly you're selling, you should look more closely at blatant copy&design issues on your website. A pretty website is worthless if it makes your users feel so stupid that they just wasted a non-profit's hard-earned money, for instance.

How would we be assuming people are stupid?

Quite the contrary, we never believe our customers are stupid, it's for that reason we expect them to read what they're purchasing and if they don't understand then just contact us. All sites generally have contact forms, we do.

Anyway, if you wish to request a refund then you'd need to contact accounts and pre-sales here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.