Really weird things happening on my site

Since I've made an upgrade to buddypress 1.1.2, my site's been in a mess.

This might have happened earlier, but Ive realized that every user on my site has double profiles. Where the main one will be namesurname, the duplicate is name-surname.

What's annoying is sometimes people post from the duplicate and it show up in the news feed.

Then, the first few people that signed on my site, their duplicates keep on leaving message in the site wide activity that "name-surname left a comment on ... (post)", but they never do.

Once I delete the duplicate, the one in line keeps on doing the comments.

Now I see that when people submit a post, it appears that the admin sent the message and it links to the admin profile, as the user is the actual admin to that particular blog.

Messy...

I have the multi-db plugin and Aaron did inform me that the guy that installed it never added the table to (cant remember which one) an important db.

Where do I start with all this?

Thanks,

George

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

Could we get a link so we can see what you're talking about? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by double profiles.

I have the multi-db plugin and Aaron did inform me that the guy that installed it never added the table to (cant remember which one) an important db.

Without more information on that I really can't provide any advice or insight. I would need to know which table wasn't added to which db. It could be a minor thing or a major thing.

I don't think this is a Multi-DB issue though. If anything it would be caused by the installation error you mentioned.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Could we get a link so we can see what you're talking about? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by double profiles.

Here's an example. this is an original profile that was setup and this is the duplicate

You will see one has a dash in between the name and surname. Every profile I can think of has a double of some kind. Some just have the name listed as a profile.

By multiple profiles do you mean duplicate users in the wp_users table?

I guess not as it's too completely different profiles. One that is real and the other that is just present.

• georgef

In my main database I have 15 users, no duplicates. It looks like this 15 were registered before I implemented the multi-db plugin.

Then, in my global db, I have 304, including the 15 above, but also all the duplicates from all my members.

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Something is definitely creating multiple users then. Again though, I don't think this is multi-db related. It might result in the same query getting ran multiple times but it can't adjust queries altering the username.

Do you have any plugins running?

Thanks,
    Andrew

• georgef

I can definitely not say that it started to happen the minute I installed the multi-db plugin. I just know it's been happening for a while, but the other things seem related.

Yes, I'm running quite a number of plugins.

Where would I start though?

Maybe I have a plugin that is not compatible with Buddypress which is creating the additional users and by passing the Buddypress profiles?

• Aaron
    • CTO

Are new users being duplicated too when you create them? I'm wondering if it was somehow caused by bp on update.

In the users table, are the duplicates right next to each's parent when you order by ID? Or are all the duplicate profiles grouped together when ordered by ID?

• georgef

I am checking, but just ran into another problem when trying to register a test account:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function bp_is_directory() in /home/thatmlmb/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-genealogies/lib/html.php on line 93

Line 93 is
    if ( bp_is_directory() ) {
    $classes[] = 'bp-directory';

Ah, no wonder my signups have been quiet!

• georgef

Ok, I've found a pattern and the difference is pointed out in the user_url.

The original member listed as namesurname has there buddypress profile listed as the user_url.

The duplicate, name-surname and sometimes the title of the blog, has the members original blog as the user_url.

Now, I use the feedwordpress plugin that allows members to syndicate there blogs through RSS onto there blog on my site.

Would it be possible that the RSS feed is creating an additional user on the my site?

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Looks like that could be it. I just did a search on the code for that plugin and found these bits:

--------------------------------------------------------------
    $newuser_id = wp_insert_user($userdata);
    if (!function_exists('wp_insert_user')) {
    function wp_insert_user ($userdata) {
    global $wpdb;

#-- Help WordPress 1.5.x quack like a duck
    $login = $userdata['user_login'];
    $author = $userdata['display_name'];
    $nice_author = $userdata['user_nicename'];
    $email = $userdata['user_email'];
    $url = $userdata['user_url'];

$wpdb->query (
    "INSERT INTO $wpdb->users
    SET
    ID='0',
    user_login='$login',
    user_firstname='$author',
    user_nickname='$author',
    user_nicename='$nice_author',
    user_description='$author',
    user_email='$email',
    user_url='$url'":wink:;
    $id = $wpdb->insert_id;

return $id;
    }
    }

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Will the AutoBlog plugin have the same problem?

I don't believe our plugin can create new users. I didn't even know the feedwordpress plugin could do that until now. Not comforting really.

As I understand, the members cant use Autoblog and it can only be managed from the Admin dashboard, is that right?

Yep, only the site admin can manage the settings.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• georgef

Found the setting where you can assign the feed to a user.

Great, but only problem I see is that you can assign it to anyone as all the members are listed in the drop down box.

Easy to make a mistake, not sure if it's such a big thing with privacy?

If you don't mind me asking, what is your opinion on that? Having all your members blogs displayed openly in a drop down box like that?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.