Realy slow Website loading

Hi,
i have configured your modules, but it brings not more then 5% and all is realy slow. Could you please have a look of it. I will use your offer when it works fine for me..
Best,
Peter

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Peter,

I ran a quick Google Page Speed test and could notice the score is 45 at the moment. Could you please enable support access to your website, so that we could give a closer look at what all settings and tweaks are configured in the plugin side, and suggest what could be optimized further based on this.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once you enable access so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Peter,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Thanks for enabling support access, I gave a closer look and could notice a couple of settings not enabled in the plugin side. The initial score of Performance test was 58.

Asset Optimization alone wouldn't help with improving the sites page load speed. What Hummingbird plugin does is application level fixes, and if the server, in general, is slow no amount of application-level fixes won't improve the performance of the website.

I quickly disabled the Hummingbird plugin, and check the existing page load of the site in Pingdom:
    https://tools.pingdom.com/#5ab15f243bc00000

The load time was 4.80 seconds. I further enabled Hummingbird plugin, and enabled the Browser cache feature, under Hummingbird Pro > Caching > Browser Caching.

I checked the Asset Optimization settings, and I could notice that some CSS files loaded in the homepage aren't getting minified, and partial CSS files not getting served via WPMU DEV CDN. I further disabled the compression option in CSS files where it's listed as already compressed in Asset Optimization, and publishing the changes seems to serve CSS via CDN.

Ran a new Performance Score, which increased the score from 58 to 67.

On further, checking the Hummingbirds page performance results, under Hummingbird Pro > Performance Test > Audits, there are a couple more changes that could be done to improve the overall load.

When it comes to Asset Optimization the files listed under "Eliminate render-blocking resources" listed in Performance Test, can be further improved by moving all the files to the footer and re-checking the assets. The general rule of the thumb would be to move the files to the footer in order to reduce render blocking issue, for example:

1) Go to the 1st file listed in the Asset Optimization page, enable "Compression" option for the 1st file,
    2) Load the frontend, and check whether the homepage design or layout breaks
    3) If not, you can enable the "Combine" option, and then check the homepage, and see whether the layout breaks.
    4) If the layout breaks this time, you'll have to revert the "Combine" option Save the changes and move on with the next step which is "Move to footer", and check whether it breaks the style, if yes, revert if needed.

Then carry the step 1 again for the next file, until you get an optimised result.

I could notice most of the files are already moved to footer, but there are still further tweaks, and trials you could test, and see whether it would help further.

Then there are factors listed as "Properly size images", and "Serve images in next-gen formats". Smush Pro plugin could help with such images.

In "Properly size images", the images are listed because it's loading bigger image compared to the content width of the theme. This is something which the theme should have provided support out of the box by registering appropriate image sizes.

You can follow the following article to resize images to the content width of the themes:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

For out of the box solution within the theme side, checking with your themes support should help in improving, and registering new images sizes for themes content width too.

In "Serve images in next-gen formats", enabling Smush CDN, and enabling WebP Conversion in the Smush CDN settings should help improve this.

"Reduce server response times (TTFB)" should improve once Page Caching in Hummingbird is enabled.

These should improve the overall page load of the site. Please do test it out, and check whether it would help in bringing the score further 67.

Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.