Rebuilding site and properly transferring media content

Would like to properly rebuild my new site and need assistance with how media content would be properly transferred from old site to new site and keeping the structure of rtmedia and new theme.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi KeepitFabulous

I hope you’re well today!

I admit I’m a bit confused with this so I’d appreciate some additional explanation :slight_smile:

I remember we’ve already discussed some issues related to that – it was about moving users with “clearing unused account” at the same time. This would probably be related in that way, that the media in question are in relationship to those “migrated” users, right?

You are using rtMedia on both sites so in theory what should be done would be making sure that “image storage” related options (if there are such in recent rtMedia releases) are set the very same way on both ends and then the entire content of /wp-content/uploads/rtmedia should be copied to the new site (possibly with folders related to the removed users omitted – which would most likely be “manual” work).

However, I’m not sure how did you “move” your user accounts in the end, if/how did you move other settings and if there were user <-> user meta data <-> content relationships maintained in the database. If that wasn’t a “straightforward” export/import but rather some custom way, that might indeed pose some issues.

So let’s start with this, if you don’t mind:

1) can you tell me a bit more on how this “migration/moving” of users was done so far?

2) and elaborate a bit more on the issues that you are actually experiencing with that media migration (e.g. what have you already tried, what happened/did/didn’t work when you tried and so on).

That’d help me get a better picture of the case.

Best regards,

Adam

• KeepitFabulous
    • Flash Drive

Hi Adam,

I am well. I hope you are two. Thanks for the help.

Firstly, I took your suggestion with that Buddypress User Export/Import plugin. And its brilliant. I brought over all the Buddypress Users. It also didn’t upload any users that never signed into wordpress while buddypress was installed. I double and triple checked it. And it seems to have taken only the users I needed. It also imported all groups and user avatars.

So now I have the 2.0 site at about 50% completion. I still have some content to create and the other thing is the the user uploaded media.

To be honest I havent tried anything for the media yet because I cant figure out where the media is in site 1.0. Its not in the usual spot. I dont even see an uploads folder. Site 2.0 on the other hand has an uploads media folder that looks more like iPhoto or Lightroom’s file structure than something I’ve seen in wordpress. So I dont really even know where to start.

There is the added complexity of RTmedia not liking mature content to be used with their plugins, so they wont support it, which is fine.. But it doesnt make me want to buy anything from them. They also seem to be the only option for this type of buddypress-user uploaded facebook like experience on the market right now since WPMU retired its plugin.

I realize alot of this stuff is for developers with more experience, but I’m kinda all this site has at the moment… Trying to make it work.

Thanks a ton

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi KeepitFabulous

Thanks for explanation!

Assuming that the import/export plugin for BuddyPress worked fine and other data was transferred fine too – all the relationships should be maintained in that case.

I logged via FTP to both old and new site and I think that for most of the media it should suffice to just copy files:

1) Old site: in the /wp-content/uploads folder there are folders “2018” and “2019”; these mostly common media for main site so they should be transferred “one to one” to the /wp-content/uploads folder on a new site

2) Entire folder “/wp-content/uploads/buddypress” should be copied over to /wp-content/uploads/buddypress on new site but there’s a “twist” there: in /members sub-folder of it you’ll see folders named by numbers; these numbers are member account IDs so you would need to skip those that doesn’t exist anymore on a new site;

Probably then, you would simply want to transfer each of these subfolders of /wp-content/uploads/buddypress/members folder manually, skipping some of them, checking the user list on the new site for IDs

3) The very same would be with the folder /wp-content/uploads/rtMedia and its /users sub-folder

If the user/content data was indeed migrated properly using that BuddyPress import/export plugin, that should work for “user generated content”.

However, that’s probably not all :slight_frown:

To be honest I havent tried anything for the media yet because I cant figure out where the media is in site 1.0. Its not in the usual spot. I dont even see an uploads folder. Site 2.0 on the other hand has an uploads media folder that looks more like iPhoto or Lightroom’s file structure than something I’ve seen in wordpress.

I admit I have no idea how iPhoto (not a Mac user here) or Lightroom (never used it) folder/file structure looks like but yes, there seems to be small difference:

– the /wp-content/uploads folder is on both old and new site (unless I got wrong credentials from chat)

– folders that I mentioned earlier match as well

– on the old site there’s also a folder /wp-content/uploads/sites – this folder contains all the images from media libraries from sub-sites of the old site; but there’s no such folder on the new site

And that’s a bit of an issue because the old site is multisite and the new one is regular single site. There’s no “direct” way of moving these media other than either simply re-uploading them manually via Media Library or adding them via FTP, converting folder structure at the same time (I’ll explain it a bit more if necessary, just let me know if you need that) and then using a plugin such as this one to automatically import them to media library:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/media-from-ftp/

The question is, though, which of these media files do you actually need on the new site. If you look into the /wp-content/uploads/sites folder you’ll, again, notice sub-folders named by numbers.

These numbers are equal to IDs (as in IDs in database) of sites on the old multisite so if new site is not going to be converted to the multisite setup, you’d first need to decide on some sort of “content strategy” – which of these images (e.g. from which sub-sites) do you actually need on the new site and what to do with them.

Best regards,

Adam

• KeepitFabulous
    • Flash Drive

Hey still testing and building. I decided to test moving the buddypress database entries and the uploads folder contents using another method – WPSynchro. It worked pretty perfectly. I cant recommend it more.
    Moving on from this. I want to do things right this go around, and from a cost and performace perspective, offloading the media seems to be the best plan. Is there anything that would get in my way from following this tutorial and offload my media to digital ocean so that i dont have to use up my server space here on wpmudev’s hosting?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi KeepitFabulous

Thanks for sharing information about WP Synchro. I wasn’t really aware of it as, somehow, I didn’t come across it yet. But it’s a great finding!

As for offloading to DigitalOcean Spaces – that’s a good idea and his actually even recommended. I just asked our Hosting team and there shouldn’t be anything “in the way” so you should be able to use the tutorial but there’s also a simpler way. There’s already a plugin that should be working nicely with Amazon S3, DigitalOcean Spaces and Google Cloud Storage:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/amazon-s3-and-cloudfront/

It works a bit differently because it does not actually let you upload files directly to e.g. Spaces but instead it copies them there after they are uploaded to the site (and updates all references accordingly). But it can be set to delete original files (so from your server) afterwards – which, in consequence, should mean pretty much the same storage space savings :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.