recaring payments in paypal

Hi

Thanks for making the great plugin for us. I found one major issue in membership 2. I'm not sure if this is the issue or I'm doing something wrong. so the issue is :

When user subscribed to membership A using paypal standard gateway with recurring payment on 1st june 2018, and now user need to upgrade to membership B on 5th June 2018 with PayPal standard recurring payment. So now when user do so, the membership A get cancelled in our plugin and membership b shows active, but in PayPal both the membership are active and user seems to be charged for both the recurring memberships. So do you think I'm doing anything wrong here?

Also, when someone wants to cancel the recurring membership, do they have to cancel it from the paypal? I Found very tedious process to follow to cancel at paypal side... I'm just making sure if it is happening from plugin side or must require to do manually from paypal side for end users.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jing,

When user subscribed to membership A using paypal standard gateway with recurring payment on 1st june 2018, and now user need to upgrade to membership B on 5th June 2018 with PayPal standard recurring payment. So now when user do so, the membership A get cancelled in our plugin and membership b shows active, but in PayPal both the membership are active and user seems to be charged for both the recurring memberships. So do you think I'm doing anything wrong here?

I checked your site and I noticed that you had "Multiple Membership" add-on disabled.

For members to be able to be a subscribers to more that one membership at once that add-on has to be enabled.
    I have enabled it for now, so Membership A should no longer be cancelled on site.
    Please check and let me know.

Also, when someone wants to cancel the recurring membership, do they have to cancel it from the paypal? I Found very tedious process to follow to cancel at paypal side... I'm just making sure if it is happening from plugin side or must require to do manually from paypal side for end users.

As you have separate thread about this here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-cancel-recurring-paypal-subscription-in-membership-plugin this question will be addressed there.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Jing

Hello,

You misinterpret my query. Actually even this add on which you mentioned is disabled, the user is still attached to multiple membership and his connection to paypal of old membership still remain same. Means that, if user is getting charged $9 per month through paypal recurring, and if he will upgrade now to $18 so paypal will now onward start to charge them $18. That is fine, but the bad thing here is, user is also getting charged for $9 due to old membership. So this is not making sense to us. Do you think it should charge for both the membership even the another was in cancelled state at the website?

• Jing

HI , i have identified the issue why paypal not modified the current membership subscription
    see this code `
    `/**
    * Modify current subscription field.
    * value != 0 does not allow trial period.
    * 0 - allows subscribers only to sign up for new subscriptions
    * 1 - allows subscribers to sign up for new subscriptions and modify their current subscriptions
    * 2 - allows subscribers to modify only their current subscriptions
    */
    $modify = ! empty( $move_from_id );
    $fields['modify'] = array(
    'id' => 'modify',
    'type' => MS_Helper_Html::INPUT_TYPE_HIDDEN,
    'value' => $modify ? 2 : 0,
    );`
    `
    This is a paypal variable but in this variable always passed the value "0"
    but it's need to be "2" if we update the membership
    so that's why we face this problem ,
    so is there any solution for this ,
    i hope you understood what i am trying to say
    Thanks

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jing,

I'm sorry for misunderstanding your question - I thought you want to keep two membership at once hence proposing the Multiple Memberships add on.

I understand the issue now - I will have to check this with developer if the code you pointed it causing this issue or this is related to your second question where it's necessary to cancel membership in PayPal directly. I will update you as soon I will get more info from developers.

Please note that our system prevents bumping threads and posting few times in row pushes threads lower in our queues. It can cause delays in our responses.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jing,

I have spoken with developer and asked if what you need is possible automatically, but unfortunately it is not with PayPal. Stripe gateway allows for that, because it is possible to cancel from the website, but because PayPal requires cancelling directly from them, using this gateway will not allow to cancel one membership when joining another.
    Member has to cancel one membership on PayPal site and then join another with new subscription.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.