receive an email address (mailbox) with registration

Hi,

Objective :
- FREE level - A user registers/signs up with a BP site(e.g. bpsite.com) by choosing their desired username ONLY. This username will automatically generate an email address(with limited space) and hence their own mailbox (e.g. username@bpsite.com with 100mb space).
- ProSites paid levels thereafter would increase the mailbox size (e.g. the same username@bpsite.com mailbox would be upgraded to 1GB space).

my thoughts :
initially i am thinking that WHMCS and "WHMCS MU Provisioning" would have to be used to customise the packages/levels.
I read on a forum that WHMCS cannot create mailboxes ; this would have to be done initially from WHM. Most LAMP servers come with "roundcube". Can "roundcube" be integrated for such a scenario ? Then there is "SmarterMail"(on a separate windows server) which supposedly has an extensive API. Can "SmarterMail" be integrated for such a scenario ? Using a mail server's API should eliminate the need creating special/extra products in WHMCS and i can simply use my "ProSites" created levels with "WHMCS MU Provisioning" or even eliminate WHMCS altogether and use "ProSites" alone and just admin the email when necessary from SmarterMail's admin.

Then there is the question of how/if it is possible to allow BP signup with a username ONLY.
Possibly the auto generated email (e.g. username@bpsite.com) would somehow auto populate the user profile.

Can anyone familiar with "WHM", "WHMCS", "SmarterMail", "roundcube" mail servers, etc. offer any insight as to how this can be achieved ?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Randall!

Hope you're doing well today.

- FREE level - A user registers/signs up with a BP site(e.g. bpsite.com) by choosing their desired username ONLY. This username will automatically generate an email address(with limited space) and hence their own mailbox (e.g. username@bpsite.com with 100mb space).

Are they creating a website on this sign up or just a BP profile? Then you want to assign them an email upon sign up, so they don't have to supply there own?

Awhile back I was thinking of the most cost effective way to supply users with their own email addresses and I landed on just using the webmail that came with my hosting, hostgator at the time.

This would need to be quite customized to work. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to supply them with an email after they've signed up? Or even charge extra for the dedicated email? I realize I don't know much about your service here so perhaps this wouldn't completely defeat the purpose, but just throwing ideas around :slight_smile:

Can anyone familiar with "WHM", "WHMCS", "SmarterMail", "roundcube" mail servers, etc. offer any insight as to how this can be achieved ?

To be honest, I have fairly limited experience with most of those services; however, perhaps others can join in on the conversation here and add in there suggestions :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting Randall! Keep us updated on this situation as well. I'll see if some other staff here have more experience with those services and if so, get their 2 cents on the situation.

All the best,
    Tyler

• aristath

Hello again @Randall, I hope you're well today!

This will definitely require a lot of custom coding... I'm not sure it can be done on your own server using roundcube! The easiest way I can think of for doing this would be using the Google Mail Provisioning API with a Google Apps business account. You can learn more about their API here: https://developers.google.com/google-apps/provisioning/

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.