Recent Global Posts feed plugin installation

I installed the recent-global-posts-feed into directory blogs/wp-content/plugins/ where 'blogs' is the root dir for my WP 3.1 installation (FreedBSD 7.1). When attempt to Network Activate a fatal error is thrown:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Warning: require_once(../wp-load.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream:
No such file or directory in /usr/local/www/apache22/data/blogswp31/wp-content/plugins/recent-global-posts-feed/recent-global-posts-feed.php on line 28

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../wp-load.php'
(include_path='.:disappointed:usr/local/share/pear') in /usr/local/www/apache22/data/blogswp31/wp-content/plugins/recent-global-posts-feed/recent-global-posts-feed.php on line 28

And indeed in the file recent-global-posts-feed/recent-global-posts-feed.php we see:

28 require_once ('../wp-load.php');

But this plugin is located in blogs/wp-content/plugins. So it's looking for wp-load.php in blogs/wp-content and cannot find it because wp-load.php is actually located in the blogs root. The path should be ../../../wp-load.php and the code would read require_once ('../../../wp-load.php');
So I edit the recent-global-posts-feed.php file to change the relative path. And the same error gets thrown again but this time with the new extended path. What gives? The path does lead to the correct location of wp-load.php and it is present.
Hope you can help.

Mark