Recent Global Posts Feed Update Clarification Needed

There is some confusion with the Usage instructions and files included with the latest Recent Global Posts Feed, and I have a few related questions...

1. Usage says to "Upload recent-global-posts-feed.php to /wp-content/" just as we always have. But there are now two files in the plugin folder. What do we do with global-posts-feed.php? (We do not use the widget, so no concerns there.)

2. The recent-global-posts-feed.php file includes the line, "* The original method of getting the tag feed but using the new code - this should be replaced with the new plugin now."

Uhh, so... the new global-posts-feed replaces the old recent-global-posts-feed? Or do we need them both?

3. The new file has the comment, "RSS2 feed showing global posts - to access feed go to http://yoursite.com/feed/globalpostsfeed". Please say it isn't so! This will break a lot of feeds for us since we use the old recent global posts feed URL in the dashboard, various RSS widgets and numerous Faceborg apps.

4. Will the old feed plugin work with the updated Post Indexer? If so, how can I get rid of the update notification?

5. After updating recent-global-posts-feed.php with the new file provided, it still shows as needing updating in the WPMU Dashboard.

6. Will the new Post Indexer still play nice with the old Recent Posts plugin? I'm not talking about the feed or the widget, I mean the one we have hardcoded into multiple page templates.

Sorry for so many questions, but they're all related and I'm hoping they have simple answers. Thanks!

• Barry

There are two methods of using the recent posts feed now.

The original method, as shown in the instructions is to

Usage says to "Upload recent-global-posts-feed.php to /wp-content/" just as we always have

If you are upgrading from a previous version and are using the original url then this is the method to use as it will retain any links you already have in place.

The other method is to upload the plugin as a standard plugin and activate it, then your feed will be available at http://yoursite.com/feed/globalpostsfeed. This is primarily for new users who don't have the legacy links in place.

You only need to do one or the other, not both.

• Barry

Will the new Post Indexer still play nice with the old Recent Posts plugin? I'm not talking about the feed or the widget, I mean the one we have hardcoded into multiple page templates.

That was updated as well to work with the new post indexer, so if you are calling that function (from the plugin) then the function format hasn't changed but the code behind the scenes has so that it will pull from the new index. So, basically, if you are only calling the function / using the shortcode in your themes, then upgrading the plugin will retain the functionality but use the new index automatically.

• jcnjr

You only need to do one or the other, not both.

Great Barry, thanks for the quick feedback. After updating just the legacy plugin, however, there is still an update notification in the WPMU Dashboard.

if you are only calling the function / using the shortcode in your themes, then upgrading the plugin will retain the functionality

Great again, and that is the plugin I linked to in my first post. But I'm using a previous version (Version: 1.0.1) that required php hard-coding into a page template before it was updated to support shortcodes.

The plugin output appears to call "function display_recent_posts". Is that the same function you're talking about?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.