Recent install of domain mapping plugin not using the mapped domain

I have all updated plugins. 4.6.1 wordpress.
I have mapped 5 domains to one https://domain.tld/domain.
If I set any one of the 5 to primary they all go to the primary. If I set no primary domain all 5 route to the LAST domain mapped.

But what I need and want is all 5 to show in the address line and not redirect.

I have the following set:

1. Allow site admins to set multiple mapped domains is checked.
2. Disabled and entered domain should be used is selected.
3. All are using https and FORCE to https is set.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lee,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

If I set any one of the 5 to primary they all go to the primary. If I set no primary domain all 5 route to the LAST domain mapped.

Only one of the domains can be a "primary" domain so that first behavior is proper one. However the second one shouldn't be happening. With "Disabled and entered domain should be used" option selected the domain that should be used would be the one that the user put in the browser address bar, regardless of which one of these five mapped domains it is or if it's an original domain.

That being said I suspect either an undiscoverd yet bug in the plugin or a conflict with some other plugin/setting of your site. Could you please follow these steps:

1. Disable forced https for these domains and see if that helps

if it doesn't

2. Run a full plugin conflict test as described on a flowchart in this article (you may need to scroll the page down a little):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Let me know about results, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Lee

No removing force does not make it work properly.
    An no I am not going to disable the plugins this is live site not dev. The only plugins that have anything to do with domain mapping or routing is domain mapping. The rest of are not involved in multisite routing. Aside from that there are no errors in the logs.

I just started to add more than one domain for domain mapping and it does not work properly.

plugin list:

Amazon Web Services
    Auto Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
    Domain Mapping
    Google Analytics +
    Simple Ads
    Snapshot
    W3 Total Cache
    WP Defender
    WP Offload S3 Lite
    WPMU DEV Dashboard

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lee,

Thank you for checking the "forced/not-forced https" option. I just wanted to make sure whether this affects settings.

I tried to replicate the issue on my own test setup but I wasn't able to. Regardless which domain was set as primary, the "Front end redirect should be" option works as expected on my end:

- set to "Directed to original domain" always redirects me to an original sub-domain
    - set to "Direct to mapped (primary) domain" always redirects me to the domain that I marked as primary
    - set to "Disabled and entered domain should be used" doesn't redirect me anywhere and always the entered domain is used.

Therefore, I don't think there's any "core" error in Domain Mapping causing it and it seems to be specific to your site. I'm not saying that it's not Domain Mapping error at all but just that it's either caused by entirely different reasons or occurs only in conjunction with some other plugin/setting.

Since you do not wish to disable any plugins on your site, I'd like to replicate your setup on my end before going any further. Would you mind granting me a support access to your site so I could review it? I will not make any changes to it and instead I'll review WordPress and plugins settings and will try to setup similar site on my end in order to run more tests on it. Is that fine for you?

Here's a guide on granting access:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Lee

Thank you for the reply and the approach. I was away sunday. Let me review today. And see if I can fix it by some config change.

As review:
    Having it set to use "Disabled and the entered domain should be used"
    If I take primary off it goes to the last added domain every time. If if no primary it goes to last domain added and if primary then all go to primary. HAve done it many times same outcome.

What settings anywhere would you think have influence on domain mapping?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lee!

First of all, I apologize for keeping you waiting. I wasn't able to get back to you immediately after you first post on Oct 3rd and I'm sorry about that.

Just for future reference though: when you post multiple times "in a row" before any staff member replays it doesn't bump the thread but instead it's pushing it down the queue. We are expected to respond to the threads in an order from oldest to newest in order to minimize the waiting time but when a new post appears in a thread (post that wasn't added by a staff member) the conversation becomes "newer" and as a result it may be waiting a bit longer for response. I'm just saying this to explain how that works. Again, I apologize for the delay.

As for the issue. I understand that you revoked an access due to delay. Did the you make changes though and if so did they work for you?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Lee

Thank you for the notice on the bump won't do it again.

No I did not get it to work. Removed multiple domain mapping and change the other 4 to domain alias. Not what I want but can't fight problems I don't know how to fix.

I have another setup of a test system set a few months ago. It only has one domain mapped to a subsite and it seems to work fine. Add in another mapped domain and it fails just like the site you visited.

This server is Apache-Nginx know of any issues?
    I am not using FAstCGI using FPM
    Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lee!

No I did not get it to work. Removed multiple domain mapping and change the other 4 to domain alias. Not what I want but can't fight problems I don't know how to fix.

I fully understand that however I may not be able to test it and find the reason in that case since - as I mentioned before - I couldn't replicate the issue on my test setups and now the configuration of your site is different.

If you got a staging site and could replicate that on that site I could proceed there. In fact it could even be a better way to troubleshoot as dealing with a staging site is much safer - there's no risk of breaking the live site. Therefore, would you mind granting me a support access to that staging site so I could investigate it?

This server is Apache-Nginx know of any issues?
    I am not using FAstCGI using FPM

Domain Mapping should work well with both Apache and Nginx, it doesn't interact with server directly. The way the PHP is triggered shouldn't matter as well (though PHP configuration may or may not affect that but that doesn't depend on the way PHP is run on your server).

However, you mentioned that it's "Apache - Nginx". Since "Apache" and "Nginx" are two different servers does that mean that you are using a setup where for example Nginx serves as e.g. load balancer or caching server in front of Apache (or some other kind of "combo" of these two servers)?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Lee

The other test site has password blocking. If I set the password in the notes block of support would you be able to see it?

I have to setup another domain that I am not using so you can see two domains mapped to subdomain. I setup afte I see your reply on the above question.

server is on a plesk 12.5 > Apache with Nginx in front of Apache. I do not have any specific settings other than what ever Plesk has set. I see no problems in anything else for routing etc etc for domain mapping.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Lee!

The other test site has password blocking. If I set the password in the notes block of support would you be able to see it?

Unfortunately this won't work. In order to be able to see the support note I need to access the site first and to pass through the password blockade (I assume that's .htaccess) I'd need to know the password that would be... behind the password :slight_smile:

There's another way though to provide me with access credentials in a secure way. You could directly send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Adam Czajczyk
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - login URL and admin account login credentials (may be a temporary admin account) data
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include hosting control panel access details (login address, username & password) - cPanel's usually the control panel used for this, but your provider may use something else; I may need this for accessing your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Please use our contact form here http://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down list and make sure that you took a full backup of the site first.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.