Recommended settings for Snapshot Backups

My backups are blowing up HUGELY. Backing up the backups of the backups, etc.... and saving more backups than I've asked it to.

What are the recommended settings for weekly backups on a basic website?

We only make changes once or twice a week.

Does Snapshot remove older snapshots once it gets to the limit you set? I had my weekly backups set to keep 10, but I had backups from April still saved...

My webhost was not happy with me when I was taking up so much space with my snapshots. OOPS! So I just want to get this set right so as not to blow things up again.

Thanks!

Nastia

Hello Raylene

You can keep as much localhost backup files as your server is allowing. If you have issues with your host and it allows to keep less backup files than you need, you can always store your backup on a remote destination like Google Drive, DropBox or Amazon S3.

To create a remote destination go to Snapshot > Destinations and follow the instructions inside a remote destination of your choice.

Google Dive allows you to store files up to 5 TB and till 2 GB on DropBox with a free account.

Since you are updating your site once a week, and for example, you wish to keep a backup of your files 3 months back you can keep 12 copies of snapshot files if you are creating a new backup each week.

For full site backup, you can also use the Snapshot > Managed Backups, which store the backups files on our remote servers. For now, we only allow 10GB of space, but this will be changed in the future.

In that case, considering that your site is a little less than 1GB, you can have 8 to 9 files. ( Please note, that 10GB, is a total storage space for all of your sites registered with us)

Does Snapshot remove older snapshots once it gets to the limit you set? I had my weekly backups set to keep 10, but I had backups from April still saved...

If you do not have a limitation in "Maximum number of local archives" , then it should keep all of the backups files. If there is a limitation set, it will start replacing the old backups.

My webhost was not happy with me when I was taking up so much space with my snapshots. OOPS! So I just want to get this set right so as not to blow things up again.

Please note, if you choose to use remote destination, that the Snapshot first creating a backup on your localhost, upload the files and after delete the backup file from your localhost.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Raylene

Hi Nastia,

Thanks for the help.

I had my "Maximum number of local archives" set to 10 but as I said, there were backups as far back as April.

I've reset that to 3 for now until I know better how this is going to work. Hoping it will just keep 3.

I've created Amazon backups on another website, so I'm aware of how to do that. I may need to do that here.

My question was more specifically based on what the settings for weekly snapshots should be set to. e.g., which files should be included in the snapshot?

How should i go about keeping my backups from exploding while they are backing up backups of backups? LOL!

Thanks!

Sajid

Hello Raylene,
    Hope you are doing good today

My question was more specifically based on what the settings for weekly snapshots should be set to. e.g., which files should be included in the snapshot?

As you mentioned above, you only make changes once or twice a week. So, you can configure a twice weekly snapshot to backup your database.

Now, for files, schedule a separate snapshot to backup files only for monthly basis.

How should i go about keeping my backups from exploding while they are backing up backups of backups? LOL!

Snapshot, does not include the local snapshots directly in any new snapshot archives.

Do you using a different location for local backups that is within the WordPress directory ? If yes then try to keep it outside of current WordPress site directory or use third party service like Amazon.

Best Regards,
    Sajid