Recovering a website once domain has been moved

Hi
I tried to use Snapshot to archive my website in the hope I could restore it to a new server - however when I came to recover it the folder was empty! I don't know why - I did have some issues with the configuration, but should have double checked that the backup was there.

Now, I have moved my domain to another server, and changed the IP.

On a positive note, I have not deleted the domain from the old server and can access the files for now via Plesk. All of the WP files are still there but of course I am unable to load the website as the domain has already moved. I am also unable to access them via regular ftp.

My question is - how can I recover my website from the old server and somehow restore it to the new server?

Regards, Paul

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Paul

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

If the "original site" was not removed (even if the domain has been moved), that's a good thing and the site should actually be fully recoverable.

However, I admit I'm not quite sure if I got a full picture of the current status so I'd like to get some more information first.

I assume that the backup from Snapshot wasn't a "full backup" as if there was no files, it could have been e.g. only a db backup. In that case it won't be of much use so let's leave it for now and focus on server(s) and domain.

If I'm correct, what you wanted to do was to move the site from one server to another. At this point you have:

- the domain that points to the new server, where there's no site files (and probably no database data as well in that case)
    - an "untouched" site (files and database) on an old server to which the domain doesn't point any longer

Would that be about right?

I also understand that you do have access to that old site file via Plesk. If that's all correct, what would have to be done would be:

- access the old server using Plesk and use its File Manager to download entire WP install
    - use Plesk to export the database of the site to a file and save that file to your local drive
    - FTP to the new server and upload downloaded files there
    - create a new database on that new server
    - use phpMyAdmin (or similar tool available there) to import db data from files that you previously exported from the database via Plesk on old host
    - update "wp-config.php" file so the db credentials would match the new db

This is a "general solution" that should work if my assumptions (expressed here earlier) are correct :slight_smile: If you have any additional questions or you'd need some assistance with that, let me know please and I'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Paul

Thank you for your response.

On the new server I have a new build of WP already

In case snapshot's backup is of no use, I'd go a bit different route and since the site's got to be moved manually:

- I'd actually remove that fresh install from a new server entirely and cleaned up its database or set up a new one
    - from an old server you need to download entire install, that means following folders (including ALL their subfolders and files inside) and files:

wp-admin
    wp-content
    wp-includes
    xmlrpc.php
    wp-trackback.php
    wp-signup.php
    wp-settings.php
    wp-mail.php
    wp-login.php
    wp-load.php
    wp-links-opml.php
    wp-cron.php
    wp-config.php
    wp-comments-post.php
    wp-activate.php
    index.php
    .htaccess

- this all should then be uploaded to the new server
    - you then need to use phpMyAdmin on the old server; it's got "Export" function that lets you export entire database (you select all tables) to a file
    - then on a new server you use phpMyAdmin to "Import" that file to the clean database
    - finally on a new server you edit "wp-config.php" file where you need to adjust DB access credentials.

It's safe to try even if you make a mistake as long as you don't remove any files/database from an old server and keep Plesk access to it. As long as this is available, we can try again in case anything went wrong :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Paul,

White screen usually means that there's a fatal error going on somewhere, and enabling debug log should tell us more about it.
    You can enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Visit the site again so that white screen is shown and this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.