Recurring Coupons/Discount for Membership 2 Pro?

Hey guys,

Have any of you run into the problem of needing a discount to apply every month for the life of a membership?

Currently, the only solution I can come up with is to have duplicates of the same membership level with different prices, which is cumbersome, and has the potential of create a lot of headaches, because every time a protection rule has to be added, you have to add it to all of the different memberships, because the only difference is the price.

I have a client, and he has an old membership site that we just redesigned. The new site only has 2 memberships, FREE and PREMIUM. Premium is $44, however, he wants to grandfather a bunch of members into the site that are paying all different amounts... some $12/mo, some $20/mo ...

I was hoping I'd be able to give these members coupons that could use to get a certain price for the life of their account.

In 2015, one of the WPMU reps said that recurring coupons were on their list of development upgrades for the plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/all-weve-got-a-great-update-that-been-released

Has anyone come up with a better solution to this issue?

Please let me know. We're supposed to launch next week, and I JUST heard about this issue of needed different prices for different people.

Thanks!

• mediastead

Jaxom,

Forgive me, but I'm not seeing how this could work. The coupon add-on doesn't have a way to restrict a coupon to a certain user (is this necessary?) Also, the expiration of the coupon doesn't affect the amount of months it is applied to the billing, it is how long before it can't be entered into the coupon code section at check out.

The coupons are pretty plain...you can create a coupon, that coupon is only applied to the first month of the billing, then the bill goes back up to the set price on the second month. We can set how long the coupon can be used (date), and how many times it can be used.

Am I missing something? Or was your suggestion to custom code your solution?

I'm open to anything ... Please let me know what you think. It sounds like you're seeing the big picture, and I'd sure love to be able to implement what you're thinking.

By the way, I'm using PayPal.

Thanks for the reply!

• Dimitris

Hello there mediastead,

hope you're doing good and don't mind me chiming in here! :slight_smile:

This is true, coupons can only be applied in the first payment of a recurring series of payments.

Also coupons can't be binded with a specific member, this should require some custom development.
    And also this should require members to manually extend each monthly membership.

For any kind of custom work, feel free to advise our jobs board page, Jobs & Pros (no WPMUDEV staff member included).

As this can also be a nice addition though, I can also move this thread to our Features & Feedback section of Support forums. Let me know if you'd like that in your next reply. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• mediastead

Dimitris,

Yes, I think that the coupon system can certainly be enhanced in a number of ways. Please add this post to Features & Feedback.

Here are my thoughts about payments for membership:

First, being able to create coupons that are both one time, as well as recurring would be great.

Second, if there is a way to allow coupons to be applied to an existing account for a member's next payment (one time), or for their next payment and recurring after that, that would be nice.

To the point above, using coupons on an existing account is nice for incentive based things ... However, for more detailed control of an account, it would also be nice if you could adjust a member's billing manually in the back end. Things such as giving a member a free month because of an issue, or lowering/increaing their recurring monthly payment manually in the back end.

It seems that the billing system in Membership as a whole is missing some important functionality from a business and customer service perspective.

These are some of the features I think should make it into a future release of Membership sooner rather than later.

--------

To my points above, is there any way a member's bill could be adjusted without having to create duplicates of the same membership level, just with different prices?

Can a subscription be adjusted in PayPal without being disconnected from the membership plugin?

If I wanted to custom code something, is everything relatively easy to find, or is there no commenting or documentation for this aspect?

Thanks!

• Dimitris

Hello mediastead,

hope all is good for you today! :slight_smile:

I've already moved this thread to Features & Feedback section for further consideration from our developers, and of course for more WPMUDEV members to engage here.

To my points above, is there any way a member's bill could be adjusted without having to create duplicates of the same membership level, just with different prices?

I'm afraid this isn't possible in plugin's end. All transactions and bills are being handled in payment gateway, instead of the WP website.

Can a subscription be adjusted in PayPal without being disconnected from the membership plugin?

This is correct, any changes in a member's subscription can be applied in Paypal's end.
    https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/manage_subscriptions/
    https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/recurring-payments-dashboard/

If I wanted to custom code something, is everything relatively easy to find, or is there no commenting or documentation for this aspect?

There's an API that can be used,. Complete documentation can be found in Membership -> Help -> API docs, or else in wp-content/plugins/membership/docs/namespaces/default.html

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hello there mediastead,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I've just wanted to update this thread, as we've just made some tests along with my colleague Kasia, and it seems that in case of Paypal, coupon discounts are getting applied in all future payments.
    We've already set this up in a test installation, we'll be able to double confirm it tomorrow, even though our sandbox Paypal account sees the discounted price for all recurring payments. :wink:

I'll also create a bug report about the wrong note in checkout page (my previous screenshot) as if this is confirmed tomorrow, after next recurring payment, the text should be changed as it's misleading.

In case of using Stripe as a payment gateway though, coupons will only apply in first payment.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• mediastead

Dimitris,

Thank you for looking into all of this.

As it turns out, this is part of another conversation and ticket I opened last night that I thought was separate, but seems like they're one in the same ... I am going to cross link them.

In this ticket, was are talking about coupons and whether they are recurring for the life of the account. You just confirmed that coupons do in fact recur.

So, in addition to coupons recurring, my tests over the past few days revealed that invoices also recur. (when you create a new invoice and mark as billed, and have a member complete the payment to gain access).

That being said, the work that has to be done is actually not on the PayPal side, but on the Membership 2 Pro side:

Since both coupons and invoices are recurring, the verbiage throughout the membership website and back end has to be changed. Currently, on the checkout page it is saying that coupons are applied to the first month and then the price goes back up to the set membership price after that (which you showed in your screenshot).

Also, all of the invoices for the subscriber are showing the same thing ... after the first bill, each recurring payment after that is showing as the set membership price even though in PayPal it is charging the original coupon/invoice price.

And lastly, in the admin back end, all of the records in the billing section, as well as where you go to see payments of each individual member are reflecting the same thing ... PayPal is charging the price of the discount after the coupon, and/or the price you set in the invoice, but all of these records are showing that the member is paying full prices after each recurring payment.

The only place in the back end that the record is showing correctly is:
    Membership 2 > All Members > (click blue icon next to member) > (click the link under the payments column) > (click "show transaction" under an invoice showing the full price) .... Under this page, you will see the time of the transactions, the gateway used, and the amount paid, which is the discounted coupon/invoice amount.

PLEASE NOTE:
    I love that coupons and invoices recur. Please keep this the way it is, and just fix the way the information is reflected in the website.

In the future, you may decide to give people the option of choosing whether something recurs, or whether it is a one time thing, but for now I am requesting that recurring be the default.

Thanks so much!

Here is the other ticket ... now that the dots are connected, hopefully it is easier to see the big picture.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/m2p-coupons-applying-to-all-invoices-instead-of-first/

• Dimitris

Hello there mediastead,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

Kasia was able to confirm to me that these recurring payments in Paypal's end are indeed using the discounted price.
    So the actual issue here is the wrong reported messages coming from Membership 2 Pro, in checkout screen, as well as in other wp-admin areas, as better described in the other thread of yours here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/m2p-coupons-applying-to-all-invoices-instead-of-first

As this other thread is in our Support Forums and connected internally with a bug report already, let's carry on in there instead.

I'll also subscribe to this bug report, so I could inform you in this other thread as soon as we've got any development on this.

Your cooperation here is highly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.