Recurring Payments?

Is it possible to setup MarketPress to setup and accept recurring payments, for example when clients are purchasing website hosting they may prefer to purchase and pay monthly as opposed to a year in advance.

• T3Kaos
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Membership would be inadequate as I want to collect recurring payments for actual subscribable products and services, ie website hosting etc. Any other ideas? This would make a great addition to Marketpress to be honest.

• T3Kaos
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I'm probably being really obtuse but I can't see how I could use it to sell a recuring payment method for my website hosting plans. Maybe you could explain how briefly as am using MarketPress at the moment and its kind of restricting me somewhat. Sorry for being stupid. :slight_frown:

• bitingedge
    • Flash Drive

Hi Phil

I can understand T3Kaos' point about Membership. It would not handle the purchase of hosting as a 'product' in the way he desires. With Membership a customer would not simply be able to order another hosting product but would have to 'upgrade' their subscription to one that allowed more hosting. Now if you have given your Members a choice of yearly subscriptions and they want to move to a higher level this currently means that you could lose the difference between the subscription levels as members are 'moved' across subscriptions without additional payment. If you use the 'limit upgrades' option then you prevent your customers from buying more hosting products when they want them or you force them into creating new accounts.

I suppose if you only offered monthly subscription options then you would stand to lose a smaller sum with any upgrade.

I'd be interested to see how you're handling this in your new project as I'm working a few projects with various implementations of the same.

Mick

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, so MarketPress is your typical e-commerce plugin in that it provides the ability for visitors to make a one-time purchase in exchange for a product of some sort that is delivered. That product may be a download or a physical item that is shipped to them.

On the flip side, Membership is aimed at providing the ability for visitors to subscribe to a service that you provide.

Hosting is not a delivered product, it's a service - usually provided on an ongoing basis via a regular payment, such as monthly.

So actually your earlier sentence,

Membership would be inadequate as I want to collect recurring payments for actual subscribable products and services

is incorrect but change Membership to MarketPress and it makes sense;

MarketPress would be inadequate as I want to collect recurring payments for actual subscribable products and services

Phil

• bitingedge
    • Flash Drive

Hi Phil

I know where you are coming from but it doesn't quite explain how with Membership T3Kaos could sell say five hosting plans to a customer one week and then sell a further two hosting plans to the same customer the following week. To complicate things these hosting plans may also have different attributes (bandwidths, storage, etc.) and thus would be priced differently. I don't think that Membership is the tool for this kind of scenario without some exceptionally heavy lifting going on behind the scenes.

I have seen other e-commerce platforms with recurring payments as a product option/feature and this may indeed be a useful addition to future MarketPress releases.

I'd still be pleased to hear about your thoughts on how you're handling multiple hosting packages through Membership subscriptions in your new WP hosting & installation service.

Mick

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ah yes okay, now I see where the sticking point is. While you can do subscriptions for a service you can't have multiple subscriptions which may be required...

Let me ask some of my colleagues for their thoughts on this and see if they have any ideas for making this work.

Phil

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

At the end of the day, this is really just a custom gateway (for PayPal, Authorize.NET, etc).

I wouldn't think that'd be too terribly difficult to do using the MarketPress and Membership gateway plugins and sort of combining elements of both. I'm moving this to the proper feature request/feedback thread and we'll see if more folks are looking for this as well.

Thanks!

• Aaron
    • CTO

I understand all your arguments and such. It's really a whole new direction though and completely different functionality. So much that i'm not sure we would include it in MarketPress any time soon. Possibly as a separate plugin though. Just making it a custom gateway would not quite work because most gateway api's don't allow for creating multiple subscriptions in one batch. And you also run into the issue of carts that have combined regular and subscription products. All that would require some major core rewriting.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.