Recurring Payments in MarketPress

Please add a recurring payments feature to Marketpress. I'd like to be able to sell several monthly or annual subscriptions though this. Thanks for taking my request.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi troycdunn,

I should have asked in your prior thread, but just to get an idea for how this could be implemented, is there some service you'd like to have that subscription tied to?

Also, have you taken a look at our Membership plugin? It's more than suitable for subscription based services and can be run on and customized for sub-sites similar to MarketPress.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

Cheers,
    David

• Troy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

PayPal. I'm open to either the Express Checkout or Pro, if that becomes available.

I have taken a look at the Subscriber Plugin but I'd like to have a checkout system that doesn't require the user to be logged in and works along side other services or products.

• paperweight
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yes, I am +1. We need to offer a recurring software subscription service, paid on either a monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually basis. Therefore, a recurring system is mandatory for us. I am currently using WHMCS for sales of our software, but since we need something much simpler, Marketpress is useful to us on a WordPress site.

Plus, we need to offer special rates on additional groups of our software, but that seems difficult to implement natively now. For example, buy 1 annual subscription for $100; buy group of 5 for $410; buy group of 20 for $1500, etc.

tks~

• sixthcore

+1 would be useful for people selling packages.. to say a health spa which i know is one application that has been thrown around in our workshops. Where individuals could book a recurring session.. I flung it off as a future feature but yes.

• Gary
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Please add me as a +1 :slight_smile:

Recurring payments are something that a lot of paid cart services don't provide, often giving an unsatisfactory reason as to why they don't.

Here's the explanation from Mal's (which is the only one I've seen that is reasonable)

"Do you support recurring billing?
    We do not support the recurring billing systems of third party payment processors (we don't process payments either!). The problem is that regular payments tend to have to be setup on a product by product basis whereas a shopping cart is designed to encourage the sale of more than one product in a single order. The cart would never be able to reconcile a situation where it had two or more products in the same order with different payment schedules."

I would love to be able to sell paid subscriptions to additional services of my own, plus it's something that would be useful for clients - e.g. I know one person who is a personal trainer, being able to sell a recurring subscription for x weeks would be of use to them.

If you can resolve the issues between recurring and non-recurring in the same cart... or different recurring schedules in the same cart... you will have another unique feature.

• Mark

Hi Aaron, what is the solution if I want to use the Chained Payments gateway via the MP cart? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the example you provided bypass the MP cart? Chained Payments integration was by far the main reason I chose MP so an integrated subscription payments via the cart is very important to me.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Ya, aware but didn't want to get into that. It is possible to set up a preauthorization for the full amount with a maximum period of a year in the future. This is not a subscription, and is very complex to setup and manage API wise. First you get them to approve the full amount, say $120 with the ability to collect $10 each month through the year. Then you have to somehow schedule the payments program side to collect those amounts. If the year is up, they will have to checkout out again.

Anyway, no plans to ever add this to MarketPress or any other plugin, you are welcome to code whatever you want yourself though.

• airtype
    • New Recruit

Why not just flag items as 'Subscription' and when any 'Subscription' items is added to the cart, the cart is automatically emptied and only allowed to buy one subscription at a time?

Are there any filters that dev's can use to do this themselves? Particularly, I'm thinking about doing this with Stripe Payments.

• khawaja1971

+1 for subscriptions.

Just like the external buy link, how about providing a box where we can put in the code for a Paypal subscription button? ie We go to Paypal get the code for a "Subscribe Now" button and copy paste it into a code box just like the external buy link.

I'm guessing in the long run MP could have some minor facility to generate this subscribe now code within MP.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Just like the external buy link, how about providing a box where we can put in the code for a Paypal subscription button? ie We go to Paypal get the code for a "Subscribe Now" button and copy paste it into a code box just like the external buy link.

You could do this now, either by using paypal's "email link" for your button, or using the manual gateway and pasting the code in there.

• khawaja1971

Ah.... so I can plug in the email "subscribe now" button link code into the External link box? In any case I can test that out on my own.

But for manual gateway I understand that I could enter instructions but I don't see how I can put in code per product.

• Noahj Champion

+1

Woocommerce offers this but I would like to get it from my current wife :slight_frown:

I have been using Woocommerce for awhile and have recently joined WPMU membership. But I haven't tried Marketpress only because some features I know I'm looking for are not offered such as this. So I haven't spent the time to get a feel for Marketpress, but I would like to and this would definitely be worth my time as a newbie to learn a whole new ecommerce platform. In overview I do believe that Marketpress offers more than Woocommerce does out the box, but I have other add-ons for woocommerce so I need a little more from Marketpress so it would be a go to plugin for me out the box. I do believe it's good though! #My2Cents +1 here.

• Noahj Champion

@Dev4 That's a pretty good idea off top.

Just off hand though (would be in my case as I think about it), I would just have the membership itself be the process I had for the buyer instead.

But, I'm not familar with Marketpress and how easy or mod requiring that would take. Does Marketpress have a simple check box type option for this?

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

Yes marketpress has that built in as an option, so you canset up a marketpress shop and have each buy now go to amazon or etsy or wherever...
    I agree if your list of subscriptions is only a dozen options, just use memberships by itself, but if you want a shop with many options market press could be a way to do it.

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

Yes marketpress has that built in as an option, so you can set up a marketpress shop and have each buy now go to amazon or etsy or where ever...
    I agree if your list of subscriptions is only a dozen options, just use memberships by itself, but if you want a shop with many options market press could be a way to do it.

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

There are many topics in these forums requesting that recurring payments be added to MarketPress, so I didn't want to start another one. But as Joe requested after I commented on the recent update announcement, I'm chiming in to see if the functionality for selling subscriptions will ever be added.

I know @Aaron said "never" above, but that was a year ago. And there are so many applications where it would be useful, and less confusing to customers than presenting multiple payment/checkout methods.

Thank you for the consideration!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

How would it work for everyone if there was a way to associate the purchase of a MarketPress product with a subscription in the Membership plugin?

I'm thinking that a person could purchase the subscription as a MarketPress product and that purchase would instantiate a subscription with Membership's PayPal Single Payment gateway. It wouldn't create a subscription on PayPal's end, but Membership would take over with charging at specified intervals. And that would lend itself to the user having total control of the subscription (being able to cancel/upgrade) from the site itself rather than through PayPal. The subscription wouldn't be handled by PayPal's subscription-based system. That could potentially be a problem for some. I'm not sure.

Integration between MarketPress and Membership like I've described would be trivial, I think. Just a matter of running the following functions after a specified product is purchased.

function myaddusertosub( $user_id, $sub_id ) {

$member = new M_Membership($user_id);
    $member->create_subscription( $sub_id );

}
    function myaddusertolevel( $user_id, $level_id ) {

$member = new M_Membership($user_id);
    $member->add_level( $level_id );

}

That right there brings up a concern though, namely that any attempt at subscription sales would require that a person be a registered user. It'd just take using MarketPress' feature to require registration/login, I think.

On the backend, an extra field in MarketPress would let store owners specify a Membership subscription level that the product purchase would be associated with.

I'm not sure of any potential downfalls of this method, but my initial thinking is that it could provide a workable solution. Would something like that work for everyone?

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

I think the problem is that there are functional reasons to not sell subscriptions in marketpress.
    Customer puts 2 subscriptions and 3 refular items in the cart.... What now? How much is the transaction for?

Also it seems from earlier conversation here that paypal does not allow for chained payments on subscriptions..,, so if that is the goal that is ruled out.

Asubscriptions can be used to set up recurring payments, and marketpress items could be pointed to the subscription page.

The reason a user has to log in to purchase a subscription is so they can later log in to manage the subscription.

As i understand it the subscription is managed through the wp user log in, but is also set up at paypal, and can be canceled there as well

This being the case, the regular charges for subscriptions are not initiated minthly by wp, but are just set up by the initial ourchase on paypal, and executed automatalssy.

Iwhat i am getting at there is that i do not think the problem is staff arbitrarily saying no, but is actually that the functions of these 2 areas do not align and we should not try to shove the round peg into the square hole.

Each person asking for this is trying to resolve a problem, but there are other ways to solve these problems.

So name the problem, and the desired outcome, so we can try to resolve that...

But be open to the idea that making marketpress sell subscriptions may nit be the way to resolve that problem.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@Dev4, I understand and agree with what you're saying in regard to typical PayPal subscriptions. That is actually why I mentioned using Membership's PayPal Single payment gateway. It's different in that it doesn't create a subscription on PayPal's end, but lets Membership handle the scheduled transactions. It's sort of like MarketPress' payment process, it's a sort of one-off payment system, only it involves a series of scheduled one-off payments.

For that reason, it can be used with the chained payments process. However, the chained payment could feasibly only apply to the initial purchase of the subscription. It'd require some heavy tinkering to get it to work on a continual basis. I mean, it could be done, but it wouldn't be nearly as simple as the basic method I outlined above.

Also, with the PayPal Single gateway in Membership, there is no subscription in PayPal so the subscription is totally managed from the site, where the buyer can cancel or upgrade as needed.

Again, I'm not sure that would work for anyone. I'm just checking.

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

How would it work for everyone if there was a way to associate the purchase of a MarketPress product with a subscription in the Membership plugin?

For those of us who don't need the vast options Membership offers, installing, configuring, and having the plugin constantly called for that one feature would not be worthwhile.

...instantiate a subscription ...charging at specified intervals.

Perhaps this could be integrated into MarketPress?

2 subscriptions and 3 refular items in the cart.... What now?

Good point and perfectly understandable. Perhaps trigger separate check-outs depending on product type? Or maybe a new plugin is in order—strictly for selling subscription based services/products that have nothing to do with user registration or site membership.

-My 2.5¢

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm just happy to see this discussion getting fired up again. We currently use MarketPress to sell products, with all the great benefits the plugin's admin interface offers. But we have to manually configure PayPal buttons for the subscriptions we sell.

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

@DavidM Maybe the heavy tinkering could be along the lines of What @jcnjr is doing now with the custom button... Maybe the option would be for a market press item to execute a custom button (that is integrated based on item type) instead of taking you to the cart.
    Then it might not be such a heavy timkering...
    What sort of button is this jonjr?

• Miss B Hayving

@mcmasterp You can do an initial payment of $500 then $50 a month, just select to have an introductory offer (or whatever they call it in paypal) and make that the $500

I've used that method many times and it works really well.

Now... +1 for recurring payments in marketpress pls... would be sooooo helpful

• Daniel

+1 for recurring billing as well.

My understanding for the payment processing via Protected Content and Membership tells me I need to use a payment gateway and a merchant account on top of my regular business banking account.

If recurring billing existed in Marketpress, I would be able to use my merchant account via API and cut out the costs of the payment gateway options currently available.

Is this in line with other user setups? I'm in Ontario, Canada; which may affect the payment process, I understand.

Any update to Marketpress or confirmation on my understanding above would be greatly appreciated. Website launch is only a few weeks away.

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

Hi @Daniel

I think If they add recurring payments to Marketpress you will still need the same accounts as you would for membership.
    I dont know what is required (except with paypal) so i am not certain if you need both or not...but you do need someone who is going to keep the card info and recurring payment info for you.
    We would not want to store card numbers on our sites... That would be too much risk.

• Burnstuff
    • Flash Drive

+1
    I've built my own Paysafe NetBanx gateway support into MarketPress. Works great, but I'm being asked by clients to provide recurring donation/subscription options. Adding this to marketpress would make sense and would be a big plus for the plugin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.