Recurring Payments Not working

Could notice that the members are only billed once. Memberships are getting expired after the 1st month of the recurring payments configured for Authorize.net Gateways.

The membership settings seems to be correct, please advise a fix.

• Dimitris

Hello there Cynthia G,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

There's been a misinformation here. You see, if you’re planning on accepting recurring subscription payments, you’ll need to use either PayPal Standard or Stripe Subscriptions to manage the payments, as these are the only support gateways at the moment, that can "inform" Membership 2 Pro about an upcoming payment.
    Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hello there Cynthia

I'm really sorry for this, I actually didn't know about the Automated Recurring Billing of Authorize.net, as I had some time to play with it.
    I also don't think that the part about Paypal and Stripe in usage page has been changed recently, anyway, I'm forwarding this to our Second Level Support team for further investigation and we'll keep you posted here as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Cynthia G

Just to make sure you understand. In the past the autorize.net payment method with in the membership Pro 2 modulle was working with Automated Recurring Billing. I have Automated Recurring Billings in our authorize.net account that were generated by the authorize.net payment method with in Membership 2 Pro Module. I am not sure when it stopped working but it has now.

If authorize.net will not work with Membership 2 Pro is there a plugin or addon that can be used to use authorize.net to accept Automated Recurring Billing?

• Nastia

Hello Cynthia G

Hope you're doing well!

I am very sorry to hear that you have this issue. Unfortunately, the Membership 2 was developed to support only Authorize.net payment gateway, that accepts single payments. The ARB getaway for recurring payments is not supported by Membership 2. I am surprised to hear that the gateway with recurring payments was working on your site until now.

With the recurring payments, basically, the Authroize.net make a one-time-payment and request a new one-time-payment at the end of the current subscription period, so a member would need to make a payment for each billing period.

Out of the box, for recurring subscription payments, you’ll need to use either PayPal Standard or Stripe Subscriptions to manage the payments.

Until our developers will respond with their feedback, I suggest moving to one of the above payment gateways and ask your members re-subscribe.

Have a nice day and take care!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Cynthia G

I did find this post which now make sense that it worked in MEmbership plugin but now does not work in Membership 2 plugin. This is crazy if you had it working in one then why can you not get it to work in the other?

I will have to discuss this with the client but they are not going to be happy and I may have to switch to another plugin.

Again it is crazy that with the resources you have that you cannot get this working.

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Cynthia G

I hope you are doing great today. I am sorry for the delayed response from our side and for the inconveniences caused.

Actually you are right that Membership had Authorize.net ARB working and have checked the code and found it to be there but unfortunately it is not part of Membership 2. The reason being the change from ARB to Authorize.net CIM (Customer Information Manager) in Membership 2. I have confirmed this with developer that in Membership 2 Authorize.ner CIM has been implemented in place of Authorize.net ARB.

On the exisiting Membership 2 CIM should work out of the box according to developer but I also found that there is one step you need to take on Authorize.net dashboard to activate CIM as it is not active by default, please follow this guide to activate Authorize.net CIM on your account.

Once CIM is activated on your Authorize.net account you should be able to take recurring payments on Membership 2 with the Authorize.net payment gateway. I am sorry that this is not mentioned on the usage page of the Membership 2 plugin.

Could you also please enable debug loggin on your website before doing some tests by adding the following lines in wp-cofig.php file on the root of your WordPress install:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

If you have a line that look like this define('WP_DEBUG', flase); in wp-config.php simply replace it with the above lines and please make sure to add the above code before/above the line that looks like this:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

What this will do is enable debug logging which will make WordPress to write any errors it encounters to e file called debug.log in wp-content folder. Once you have done this and enabled CIM on your Authorize.net account, please run some tests and see if it creates the recurring subscriptions or not. To make things simpler, you can setup a membership with daily recurring payments and signup one or two test users and see if the recurring payments will be processed or not.

If anything fails then please let us know and upload the 'wp-content/debug.log' file to a service like Dropbox and share the link with us so we can analyze the file and see if there are any errors related to Authorize.net and Membership 2. Alternatively, you can share your WP admin and FTP login details via our secure contact form, on the contact page choose "I have a different question" then write "Attn: Lindeni Mahlalela" in the subject and include the following in the message box:

- WordPress login details (admin url, username and password)
    - FTP login (FTP host, port, username and password)
    - Any additional information
    - Link back to this thread for reference

Once we have that we will check your setup and see what we can do. I hope to hear back from you soon.

Have a nice day.
    Lindeni

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Cynthia G

I hope you are doing great today. Thank you so much for your feedback and granting us access to your site.

I have checked the logs in depth and find that there is actually a little bug in the code that relates to the PHP version you are using. This is a widely known issue in PHP 7 that relates to a change in interpretation of some strings in expressions in the code. It appears that the Authorize.net addon in Membership 2 has such issue.

I have applied a temporary fix on your site but unfortunately it is not a final fix and I am still testing so we can make sure that the fix does not affect other payment gateways in a bad way since the code with the issue is used by other payment gateway as well. I have uploaded the modified code and added some custom debug points to sure what is happening in the life cycle of the code. I will allow the daily membership to be billed again and see what is logged and how it works after the change I have made.

I will check the logs again after a few hours. I am sorry that I am supposed to run these tests on a sandbox/testing site but for now I will leave this on your live site to get information from a live environment but I have also created a test environment where I can get more data without affecting your live site. I will also check on my test site once I have setup on a similar PHP version as the one you have.

I will update here again once I have additional information or feedback and about the status of the fix. We really appreciate your patience with regards to this and we hope to resolve this soon.

Have a nice day.
    Lindeni

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.