Redirect

Hi there,

I'm wondering when users should add an A record as suggested here:

If you want to redirect a domain you will need to add a DNS "A" record pointing at the IP address of this server

My thought would be if they are interested in managing their own plugins on their domains site, but want to have it mapped to my network, they wouldn't need the A record.

If, however, they want to manage their site from the Admin panel of the networked subdomain, which is mapped to their domain, then they need the A record.

Am I understanding this correctly? That is, the choice of where the themes, plugins and admin panels exist determines whether or not an A record is needed?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Pali Baacsi.

Using an A record allows them to maintain control of their DNS, so if they wanted to for example they could go set up some MX Records to have Google handle their email stuff.

They could then also set up some sub-domains for other things.

In my opinion they should always use a A Record (for TLD) and a CNAME (sub domain).

However there is the other option of forwarding their name servers to you and letting you handle that either through custom DNS or something like a Addon/park domain in cPanel.

If they point their Name Servers to you, then unless you give them explicit access to a way to manage their DNS then they would need to come to you to change anything like MX Records.

My thought would be if they are interested in managing their own plugins on their domains site, but want to have it mapped to my network, they wouldn't need the A record.

It doesn't really affect anything like plugins or themes...

As an analogy.....

Imagine that the domain is a PO Box address.

Your server is a block of flats. (the IP)

Their website aka them, are tenants, the content could live anywhere.

They could move where ever they like, to a new IP, to a different block of IPs half way around the world. All they have to do is change where the PO Box goes to and all traffic gets forwarded on. But that PO Box doesn't manage the content in side. It simple maps people to where the content is.

I hope my analogy makes sense? :slight_smile:

The difference is with DNS you can send that traffic to different places depending on what its for. :slight_smile:

If your still not sure, then please feel free to ask more questions. :slight_smile:

Take care.