Referring to Theme typography/Theme Font Manager in custom CSS

I'm doing some custom CSS for the tabs (you really need a better default styling for those) and I discovered #ufc0 et al.

It was a bit of a surprise to me that after changing the fonts in the theme settings that many of the visual elements in the theme maintained the original fonts. I see that is because the custom CSS is referring to the font directly, rather than using something like #uff0, or creating custom font names like UpFrontFontOne, as noted in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14259560/is-it-possible-to-specify-custom-name-for-a-google-font.

So have I just not seen the magic document that tells me how to do this, or do I need to make a feature request.

• Adam

I started with Panino because it was sorta, kinda like what I wanted, or so I thought. What I expected when I changed the font from Special Elite to Lato in the theme font manager, was that all the instances of Special Elite in CSS to become Lato, which is not what happened.

I can set the fonts, but I have to go and edit the CSS manually. This is not an insurmountable issue; I know how to do what I want.

I'd like to eventually create my own child themes and have my equivalent of u-menu-themes to update both the font and color when I make changes in the theme settings. Right now, only color will change and that's a nuisance.

• Adam

Jude,

I have no particular problem with that notion, but it can be made a matter of presence. Look at the theme colours. I am under no obligation to use #ufc0 in my customizations, but doing so is helpful to my situation. By coincidence the default child themes also use those values, and I am free to go find those values and change them to what I want.

The same here.

The standard child themes may, or may not, use the theme fonts and anyone who wants to go and change it to something specific for their theme. This will be most common among folks who get themes for their individual site. If the defaults use static font names, I'll go and replace them with theme names.

I suspect that anyone who is using these themes for a business of some sort, particularly with self-serve styling, would get fewer support calls if they had the option of using themed font names.

My preference is to follow the questioner in the above linked SO article and simply define the fonts using theme specific names, rather than their "real" names. This way I can use them in the plugins I have to customize. It too bad there's no way to do that with colours (hmm, I should look for a hook in your docs before I say that) but one is better than none.