Regarding database of BP

Hi,
We currently run a website called docmode.com on java, running on Amazon servers with multiple DB and server instances along with Load Balancer.
We have taken a call to shift to WP/BP as the dev community for plugins etc. bug-fixing is large and . We have 28000 and growing userbase. plus we sometimes have to handle a surge of many registrations and logins at one particular time say 2000 active/hour with traffic spikes. What service of server/hosting/ database do you suggest? Are there any professional services out there? As we are a startup - cloud is helpful in costing? VPN like linode are not reliable sometimes? and would dedicated be expensive?, the idea is to handle traffic of registrations of users and user activities without slowing the site? kindly help

• aecnu

Greetings Jephersons,

Welcome to WPMU DEV and thank you for the great questions.

What service of server/hosting/ database do you suggest?

Considering the items you mentioned above I would recommend a Dedicated Server like the QUAD 5420 for 40,000 to 60,000 blogs and QUADX2 5420 for 60,000+

In addition, using Multi DB to create at least a 5,000 – 50,000 blogs/sites – go with 16 databases - and of course for higher either 256 or 4096

Are there any professional services out there?

I suggested accurate info which is based on a current server hosted with us running 80,000+ blogs.

As we are a startup - cloud is helpful in costing?

Cloud is just a BS sales term/gimmick and all it refers to is networked servers connected to the internet, for more information please see:
    Cloud Computing is BS!
    http://www.horsesforsources.com/vineet-nayar-hfs-120310

VPN like linode are not reliable sometimes?

I do not see how a VPN is relevant to this topic.

and would dedicated be expensive?

From around $134 a month and up.

the idea is to handle traffic of registrations of users and user activities without slowing the site?

Absolutely and acknowledged.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.