Register and pay for a course

I am really struggling to figure out the flow to register users and pay for a course, please see the details in this video.
https://goo.gl/6ZfDAi
Is there any documentation/tutorials for this?
Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chris,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I watched your videos and reviewed your site. The site seems to be setup fine and it actually seems to work if it comes to the course enrollment/purchase. As a non-logged in user (a visitor) I can see:

- "Buy now" button on course product page (MarketPress products page)
    - "Enroll now" button on course page (CoursePress page)

The "Enroll now" button forces the registration because if you click on it it pops up the window where you can either login using existing account or use "Create an Account" option.

The course has to be set up to "Any registered users" though for users to be able to join the course. The "Manually added only" would require an admin or an instructor to add a student.

That said, I clicked on "Enroll now!" button, then on "Create an Account" inside popup, and registered for an account. Then I was given "Show course" link which I followed which took me back to course description page where I had a "Buy now" button available. I went through the checkout but here I could confirm the issue: I was not able to select any country from the list.

This is because during MarketPress setup you must have selected that you will offer shipping but there were no shipping countries defined. I went to the "Store Settings -> Shipping" page and added United States and Poland (the latter one just for testing, I already removed it) and now the country selection drop-down box works.

Please check your site and you can see now that there's my order (marked as paid) on "Store -> Orders" list and that I'm an enrolled student of your course.

That being said, could you please re-test that and see if that works that way for you as well? If I'm missing anything, let me know please (along with details) and I'll check the site again.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chris!

On the shipping, I marked no shipping, there are not items to be shipped, they are all online courses.

I understand that of course. There's however the option during MarketPress initial setup (setup wizard) that asks you whether you wish to offer shipping or not and to select "shipping method". I can see that "No shipping" is selected and that's perfectly fine but a country has to be selected on "Store Settings -> Shipping" page. In case of your site it won't affect anything but that drop-down box so if you are offering your courses to US students only, leave it as it is - with United States added there. If you are targeting also students in other countries, add more countries there.

As for the initial issue. I did test it on Firefox on Windows indeed. There are cases where the issue affects only certain browsers but in order to be able to test it I'd need to use Chrome on Mac and I'm not a Mac user, unfortunately :slight_smile:

I have asked one of my colleagues that's working on Mac to jump into this conversation and help us with that so hopefully he'll be able to replicate the issue as you experience it and find a reason for it.

I'd appreciate a little bit of patience though because he's not online today and should be back for work tomorrow (UTC time zone). We'll work on it then and I believe we'll find a solution.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Chris,

I just tested the initial issue in Chrome on Mac and I had no issues whatsoever with registering account or signing up for a course, I was able to go through to paypal page normally.
    I'm using Chrome version 55.0.2883.95 (64-bit) on macOS Sierra 10.12.1

Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

Could you give it another try but this check with console open so we can see if there are any errors that could tell us what's going on.
    To open console press CMD+ALT+J at the same time and once it's open non-working actions should show us some errors in there.

Let us know if there are any errors showing for you there.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Chris,

I did another test on your site and actually I was able to replicate the same issue, however this happened only one time, as soon as I refreshed the page, or reopened it in incognito mode I was unable to replicate it anymore.

Strange thing is that there are zero console errors that usually show up with similar issues and tell us what's going on.
    I still think that this could be caused by caching but let's do some other tests first.

Can you enable debug log in your wp-config.php by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Try registering new account again and if/when it fails it should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.