Registered users only but allow registrations

I have a website that is not yet ready for public consumption, but I would like a group of users, who I will invite by email, to be able to register to essentially beta test the site.
I have a plugin set up that allows me to approve anyone who attempts to sign up so having the registration page public isn't a problem.
So what I want is for any user coming to the site to be presented with the login page (Registered Users plugin does this) but for people to be able to click the 'Register' link and be able to do so. With the Reigstered Users plugin they are just redirected back to the login page.
Would Multisite Privacy plugin enable me to do this?
Do you have any other suggestions for how this could be achieved?
Thanks.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @AsherJac

It seems to me that you're getting bogged down by too many plugins before you've even launched your site.

The simplest method is often the best. My suggestion, for your beta-testing needs, is to simply require potential users to send their info via a contact form.

You can then add the users manually and set them up with a username and password (that they can change later) so they can test stuff out for ya.

• AsherJac
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Patrick,

The problem I have is that it's a BuddyPress site. If I just create new users through the WP back end they don't appear in the BuddyPress bits of the site. If I create them through the normal BuddyPress process then they get validation emails.

Maybe I could find a way for the validation emails to be like a welcome thing. Will have to play around with that and see how it works.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.