Registration form redirects to registration form after payment

I'm testing the registration of my Membership Site (one payment for 20 weeks of dripped content) with Paypal Sandbox. Here's what happens:
1. User lands on registration page.
2. There is only one subscription to select
3. User selects that subscription and clicks "Sign Up" (seems a bit redundant)
4. The next page asks user to confirm the subscription. User clicks "Subscribe" and is sent to Paypal to pay.
5. After paying at PayPal, user clicks link to return to site.
6. User lands on the same subscription page as #1.

Besides the fact that the user can't access any content, they can't enter any membership information into an account. It seems to me that they should do it in this order:
1. User signs up as Member
2. User selects Subscription & pays
3. User accesses the member area of the website

I searched the forum & couldn't find any instructions on setting up a "sign up for membership" page, or the return url to give to Paypal. Can someone point me in the right direction?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello babbsela,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I looked at your issue and found that you may want to setup a return url. I have found a couple of links, posting them below, please have a look and see if that helps you !

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/mer/express_return_summary-outside
    https://merchant.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_html_Appx_websitestandard_htmlvariables

For paypal Sandbox, you may find the full guide here

Please review the above suggestions and post any questions you may have :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

• babbsela
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Question 1: Is a return url coded into Membership? If so, and I set up a return url in PayPal, the setting in Membership will override anything I set up in PayPal.

Question 2: I guess I should have asked only one question in my original post, but since you're staff, I'll ask for clarification of the registration process, which was the second part of my post.
    Is it
    1. Buy subscription, and after payment...
    2. Enter Membership details, upon which you can...
    3. Access Membership benefits

Or is it
    1. Sign up for membership, and enter membership data, which is carried over into the form where you...
    2. Buy subscription...and after payment you get...
    3. Get access to Membership benefits.

There is no documentation on any of this, so I'm hoping you can help.

• babbsela

Thanks for trying to help.

What I wanted to know is if there is an auto-return coded into Membership that goes to a specific page, so that when the purchaser returns to the site, it has the appropriate code in the return page.

If not, I'll create it.

Thanks again.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Again,

You can set that here :

WP Admin » Membership » Options » Membership Page Options » Registration completed page

When a user has signed up for membership and completed any payments required, they will be redirected to this page.

It should override the auto return url in Paypal as this page would be called after a successful payment has been done.

I haven't had a chance to test that for you on my lab site, however I would test it for you and report soon.

Cheers
    PC

• babbsela

The big problem I am having is that I can't find any way for people to sign up for a membership - just purchase a subscription. After they purchase a subscription, they can't create an account. The Register page with the shortcode [subscriptionform] gives them a link to the only subscription I have, and takes them through the sales process. How do they sign up for a membership?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Greetings babbsela,

I am glad that you got it sorted out :slight_smile:

And for all testing scenarios, I would recommend you to have multiple browsers installed, you may change the settings in one and test them in other. This way, you would avoid running into the same situation !

Please let us know if you have any more questions on this issue. We would be around.

Thanks for being a great wpmudev member :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.