Registration - How Do I Set Up Email Confirmation Link?

My website uses Simple Membership plugin for Registration with BuddyPress Profiles. Currently, when someone registers for a free membership they are not required to confirm via email link. I believe this is causing a problem with GMail and a few others who think I'm sending spam.

Can you tell me how to require an email confirmation link when someone registers at https://christiangays.com/choose-membership-level/registration-form/

Thanks!
Support Access is granted

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Mary,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I tested this both on your and mine sites and it seems that this is how the Simple Membership plugin works by default: it doesn't require registration confirmation for a free membership while it does require it for paid memberships. I also found a confirmation for this and it seems that there's no good solution for this yet. Take a look here please (last post especially):

https://simple-membership-plugin.com/forums/topic/send-confirmation-mail-to-activate-free-membership-account/

In the last post there's a proposes solution given so you may want to consider that. Other than this it may require some custom development though.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Mary
    • Wisp of the WP Loop

Thank you Adam. Yes I can see how that would be a good solution in most cases, however I already know the new member who will be registering. The Complimentary Registration page is password protected and I only give it out to those members who have been vetted.

Unfortunately this does not solve the problem of email providers requiring opt-in confirmation.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Mary!

Yes, the "opt-in confirmation" may be an issue here but it seems that the way the Simple Membership plugin works doesn't offer any reasonable way to solve that as it simply doesn't require confirmation for free membership submissions.

Changing that would mean either "pushing" Simple Membership developers to add confirmation feature to the plugin or going for a custom development, unfortunately.

That being said, I understand that the main issue here is not that they are not required to confirm membership signup but that they are added to some mailing list and that requires confirmation. Am I on a right path? I'm asking because I'm wondering if there's perhaps a different solution that could be used as a kind of "workaround" in this case :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Mary,

hope you're doing good today!

Could you please grant us support access to the website in question?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4
    We could then inspect your setup and current newsletter implementation and may come up with a solution for you. :slight_smile:
    Any further info that you could provide for us considering this will be highly appreciated!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Mary
    • Wisp of the WP Loop

Support Access is always granted. Forgive me for not remembering to mention it.

Re further information - I am using Simple Membership plugin for registration. They do not have an option for email link confirmation for free members.

I actually don't require it either since my membership page for free memberships is password protected, and I vet everyone before allowing them to register, so I have already verified them.

Where I am running into a problem is gmail, hotmail, aol, etc thinking that I'm sending spam, even though I have complied with all of their guidelines with the exception that I am not requiring the email confirmation of free memberships, so this is the only reason I need it.

Would love it if you have a solution. Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Mary,

Thank you for this additional explanation.

The "not so good news" however is that while implementing such a confirmation would certainly be a good move it will not cause GMail, Hotmail etc to treat those e-mails as not being a SPAM. They don't check whether user confirmed or not, they simply analyze

- sender address and servers "on a way"
    - e-mail content
    - some more "technical", underlying aspects.

The bottom line is that the case is more complex than a confirmation itself.

I'm not able to "promise" a "100% solid" solution here (there's actually no 100% working solution at all, unfortunately) but let's try to minimize that "spam effect".

Having that said, I accessed your site and I think the e-mails that you are referring to are being send using an e-mail address in the domain of your site, is that correct? Can you please tell me:

- whether this "Spam effect" applies to all e-mails that come out from your site or just to some (e.g. registration, newsletter etc)
    - if that affects only some specific kind(s) of mails, what is/are they and how (e.g. with what plugin) do you send them?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mary
    • Wisp of the WP Loop

I can't find the email. Can't actually remember if I kept it or not. Sorry but I don't remember the details, other than I do remember it was from gmail, and it said my mail "might be spam" due to the number of emails coming from this address.

Yes, my mail comes from mail.mapenterprises.ca which is my own server.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Mary!

Thank you for your replay.

The "mail.mapenterprises.ca" is a domain that's different than the domain of your site. That's a bit hard to go through this that way with so little details but the first important thing is:

From and Replay To addresses should be consistent and it would be best if they match mail server domain in that case. That's taken into account by SPAM filters.

Another important thing is that the domain you're sending e-mail from should have the SPF record set in the DNS. This is a special record used for spam fighting. Take a look here please:

https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204404314/how-can-i-create-an-spf-record-for-my-domain

These are the things that should be taken care of in the first place if it comes to solving SPAM issues. Unfortunately, none of these aspects can be handled "on WordPress level" so you might need to get in touch with your host and ask them if they could check configuration and help you set that up if necessary.

Then, after these two aspects are handled, there'd be a time to observe e-mails again and see whether the "spam rate" got decreased or not (so if less e-mails go to the spam folder or not) and take further steps if necessary.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Mary
    • Wisp of the WP Loop

Do you mean that instead of mail.mapenterprises.ca we should set is up as mail.christiangays.com?

Re SPF, yes we have rDNS, SPF, DKIM, DMARC records all created.

I haven't actually had any spam complaints in months. I just got that one notice that it "might be spam", but I want to be pro-active and do everything I can to prepare for more mail as the site grows.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Mary :slight_smile:

Do you mean that instead of mail.mapenterprises.ca we should set is up as mail.christiangays.com?

This should be the best choice here indeed.
    If you could setup this and further check if your emails are being marked as spam it would be awesome! Let us know for any further development on this!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.